Is investing in a "rougher" area always a bad thing?

Is investing in a "rougher" area always a bad thing?

Real Estate Investor · Pacific Palisades, CA · Member since 2016 · 6 posts · 0 votes

21 Unit building in San bernardino

1,495,000 asking price

Actual GRM of 8.8 - Market GRM of 7.6

It nets a little over 100K. 

From some research and asking around I've found that this specific area isn't too safe or somewhere you'd want to spend too much time in. 

My question: If I have a great live in manager, does it matter that it's not in the best area? I imagine I'd be able to communicate with him/her for most of the issues. If the numbers are good, vacancies low, and the checks are coming in why be deterred by a "rougher" area? 

Thanks!

0Reply
46 views

Most Popular Reply

Chicago, IL · Member since 2016 · 238 posts · 68 votes
9y

I think it really depends on who is saying it's "rough." I live in a "rough" area on the south side of Chicago, but after doing the math, I realized my odds of having anything bad happen to me was pretty slim unless I joined a gang. I moved there because I could get in the door faster and start my investing career. Now that I'm in, I'm watching for buildings to go vacant or for sale all around me because although it's "rough," the vast majority of people in my 'hood are blue-collar, hard-working families that pay their rent on time (although a lower price).

I wouldn't recommend everyone do it, but I spent some time in the neighborhood and realized that most of the people who thought it was too rough have never left their northside bubbles. I'm not in Englewood, mind you, but if the numbers make sense and you aren't afraid to drive through and check out the property/neighborhood, I know I'd personally do it.

See this reply in the discussion

19 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Chicago, IL · Member since 2016 · 238 posts · 68 votes
    9y

    I think it really depends on who is saying it's "rough." I live in a "rough" area on the south side of Chicago, but after doing the math, I realized my odds of having anything bad happen to me was pretty slim unless I joined a gang. I moved there because I could get in the door faster and start my investing career. Now that I'm in, I'm watching for buildings to go vacant or for sale all around me because although it's "rough," the vast majority of people in my 'hood are blue-collar, hard-working families that pay their rent on time (although a lower price).

    I wouldn't recommend everyone do it, but I spent some time in the neighborhood and realized that most of the people who thought it was too rough have never left their northside bubbles. I'm not in Englewood, mind you, but if the numbers make sense and you aren't afraid to drive through and check out the property/neighborhood, I know I'd personally do it.

  • Real Estate Investor · Pacific Palisades, CA · Member since 2016 · 6 posts · 0 votes
    9y

    Thanks!

  • Palo Alto, CA · Member since 2017 · 226 posts · 95 votes
    9y

    If you're thoughtful about what you do, there is no reason to exclude "rougher areas." There may be more crime but almost certainly most of the people are good people. It is going to be the relatively few "rotten apples" that you have to be careful about.

    A home isn't seen as a quick source by the "rotten apples" to get cash.

  • Member since 2016 · 13k+ posts · 12k+ votes
    9y

    Your deterrent would be the fact that there is 10X more hands on management required with lower class areas. A manager will not change the fact that there will be more work for you to do even if it is managing a manager. Finding and then keeping a good reliable manager will be a major accomplishment.

    Greater returns is the primary reason investors take on c/d class properties but it is a specialised market that requires a separate skill set.

    You will not be sitting at home in front of the TV watching the rent checks roll in.

  • Investor · Richmond, VA · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    9y

    @Nataniel A.,

    Low Income investing or buying in the "rougher areas" isn't for everyone.    There's a lot of money to be made, but honestly a lot of the wealthy people are scared-- scared to just go there thinking they'll get shot or robbed.  It's different from the life you live, and the expectations are different-- that doesn't mean it's bad.. It takes a special kind of person to do it, just know what you're getting into.   You have to be smart and do extra stuff to avoid theft, and do extra measures for security like more lights.  

     If you can handle the heat, get in the kitchen! 

  • Buy & Hold Owner · Redlands, CA · Member since 2015 · 5k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    9y

    These areas can be profitable as they usually cost less but still command reasonable rents.  The hidden issues are the tenant drama, frequent move-outs and vacancies, and sadly excessive damage repair.

    Hopefully you are aware that San Bernardino is in bankruptcy.

  • Chicago, IL · Member since 2016 · 238 posts · 68 votes
    9y

    As a follow-up, I've actually had (admittedly anecdotally) less horror stories in my area from people than in nice neighborhoods where people feel they deserve to have every little thing taken care of by management due to the higher rent prices. I've had to paint one bathroom with water stains on it and my tenant has never asked me for anything since. He's also always paid his rent on time. Again, anecdotes, but that's been my personal experience.

  • Lender · San Antonio, TX · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    9y

    @Nataniel A. Definitely not - D neighborhoods can be a great investment, but in my experience you need to scale quickly to get the critical mass to be able to hire the people needed to get their hands dirty (figuratively and literally). You don't want to trust this to a PM as it will be the last thing on their to-do list every day, and unless you are the type of person who wants to do it yourself, you'll need people you can count on. 

  • Crystal SmithPro Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Chicago, IL · Member since 2014 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    9y
    Originally posted by @Nataniel A.:

    My question: If I have a great live in manager, does it matter that it's not in the best area? I imagine I'd be able to communicate with him/her for most of the issues. If the numbers are good, vacancies low, and the checks are coming in why be deterred by a "rougher" area? 

    Thanks!

     While an area in general may be rough your particular block and/or building may be great.  I'd do the following:

    • Research crime statistics on the specific block your property is located.  You may find that the block is great.  It's just surrounded by some problem areas.
    • Get the actual financials on the property & as you say:  If the actual numbers are good, vacancies low, & checks are coming in then....  You should also check on the age of the major mechanical equipments, roof,.....  The items you would be responsible for if they fail.  
    • Check w/ local gov't official &/or community group to see what plans if any there are for neighborhood around your block.
  • JD MartinBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Rock Star Extraordinaire · Northeast, TN · Member since 2015 · 10k+ posts · 16k+ votes
    9y

    Always remember: investments pay based on risk and potential, real and perceived. Some of the most successful real estate people I know operate mobile home parks. This is not for the guy that doesn't want to get his hands dirty, literally and figuratively. 

    Even in the most crime-infested areas you will find a lot of landlords. They make good money on buildings no one else wants to touch. Real estate is a lot like an eco-system; you've got your prime-rib eating humans on the top and your maggots on the bottom, but they all have a purpose and they all have opportunity. 

    Skyline Properties
    View Page
  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    9y

    @JD Martin   Maggots??? really  LOL... I guess I am ground chuck somewhere in the middle :)

  • Chicago, IL · Member since 2017 · 39 posts · 33 votes
    9y
    I invest in a c-d neighborhood and have since I started. Its true that not everyone will be able to tolerate a lot of the extra issues that go on in these areas. From my experience I can tell you that I have done real well and as long as you put all your systems in place and build a good team then you will do better then the guy investing in the a-b areas on a cashflow basis.
  • Rental Property Investor · Augusta, GA · Member since 2016 · 348 posts · 171 votes
    9y
    Nets a little over 100k how? Will you have the exact same financing? Will you even be using financing? If you're paying cash I'd recommend taking those funds elsewhere and getting a better return, in a "safer" area, and potentially have your risk spread out more.
  • Real Estate Investor · the villages, FL · Member since 2008 · 5k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    9y

    I have always had the following definition of a rough area:

    if my wife can drive through the area during the day, and I can collect rent at night without a 357, I'm probably okay....

  • Investor · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2013 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    9y

    I've been investing in an area that most investors were scared of and wouldn't touch a few years ago. 

    I got awesome deals, but I was also speculating on the Beltline (major project in Atlanta) coming in across the street and making the prices shoot up. That was going to be the icing, while I had great cashflow. 

    Yes, there is more turnover, but I've learned a lot and am better at picking tenants now. But things happen. Vacant houses get broken into easily. You can have an alarm system, but if the tenants turn of power, before you get the house back, it doesn't do you any good. My rents are being deposited by my tenants into my Wells Fargo account, so, I don't have to collect rents and carry a gun ;-).

    I've also changed my market, by bringing in different tenants (artists,creatives) and am now seeing the increases in prices. Suddenly investors are all over the place, trying to buy, wholesale, flip. The neighborhood has been turning and I"m seeing a big upswing this past year. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Davenport, FL · Member since 2016 · 593 posts · 382 votes
    9y

    @Nataniel A. This is a decision that you have to make carefully and decide if it is a risk you want to take. I have a section 8 house in a "rough" and "violent" "war zone" as I have heard it called by many that live in the area. I am not denying the high crime rate there, but I am not going to live there. Many people need a nice home to live in and they don't make enough money to live anywhere else. I have security doors and a locking gate. I also had motion lights installed. I want my tenant to be safe. But safety is not guaranteed anywhere. With the rent offer I received from the local housing authority I am grossing over 36% on that property. The home was paid for with cash. No mortgage. Imagine if some point I can do a cash out on the property. My CoC return percentage would skyrocket.

  • Investor · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2017 · 23 posts · 10 votes
    9y

    Hey, @Michaela G. if i may ask....which 'hoods in ATL are you referring to?

    I ask because I'm interested in investing along the Beltline - albeit the Westside Trail at this point. 

    Personally, I live in Reynoldstown, so i'm very familiar with how the Beltline has been a game changer for various neighborhoods. We've gone from ignored, to now you can't pass through Krog Tunnel w/o seeing tourists and others snapping shots and shooting videos

  • Investor · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2013 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    9y

    @Marcus Cannady , I'm in the Pittsburgh community

  • Investor · CA · Member since 2008 · 91 posts · 10 votes
    9y

    I bought a house in Pittsburgh for $750...needed lots of rehab,should've kept it...but didn't have reliable network in place at the time

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.