Just Closed My First Deal!

Just Closed My First Deal!

Rental Property Investor · Mount Vernon, NY · Member since 2016 · 89 posts · 125 votes

BP family! I'm very excited! I just closed my first deal as an investor a week ago. After scouting the MLS for months I finally pulled the trigger on a duplex (1 bedroom over 1 bedroom) in West Philadelphia. It's not the deal of the century, but here are the numbers:

List Price: $69,900

Purchase Price: $60,000 + $500 seller concession (net purchase price: $59,500)

Appraised Value: $67,000

Downpayment: $15,000

Projected Gross Rent: $1,250/mo

As mentioned before I didn't hit a homerun but the numbers work. I managed to have the seller make a good number of repairs and turn over the units (since both were vacant). The property already had a new roof, updated electric and plumbing installed throughout so all that's really needed now are cosmetic updates. Here are some pictures:

I'm in the process of getting the floors in the second unit refinished and heeded the advice extended in many of the posts that predate this one "get multiple contractor bids!" I was surprised at how wide the spread in the bids would be.

What Will I Do Different Next Time:

My goal is to acquire 100 units over the next 10 years. I've come to the conclusion that in order to do so I can't go about purchasing property as a retail buyer, tying up all of this cash. With this property I was just so eager to actually do something, rather than sit on the sidelines and analyzie deals for God knows how long. I've told myself that my next purchase will be a value add project where I can get my capital back after a cash-out refinance and use the money towards the next acquisition (good 'ol BRRR strategy).

65Reply
637 views

Most Popular Reply

John G.Pro Member
Rental Property Investor · Brainerd, MN · Member since 2015 · 72 posts · 42 votes
9y

congrats!

Be careful it is very addicting.  I started with a duplex flip....changed my mind and rented it.  That was 5 years ago now I'm up to 17 rentals.  I hoping for 5-6 more this years.  I love you have ambitious goals, that's what it takes.  Good luck my friend...you will succeed if you believe!

See this reply in the discussion

166 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Cincinnati, OH · Member since 2016 · 2 posts · 0 votes
    9y

    I think it is a great first investment. It is perfectly OK to learn the business one step at a time and this one has a decent ROI and no repairs needed so you can concentrate on building your landlording skills. The next deal you can take on more project work and marketing to find a better ROI.

  • Investor · Howell, NJ · Member since 2016 · 16 posts · 0 votes
    9y
    Wow, Michael! The place and numbers look great. I'm guessing you bought at about a 20% cap rate and the apartments only need cosmetic improvements! Congratulations. If you ever need project management help I'd be happy to team up with you. Mark
  • New York City, NY · Member since 2017 · 11 posts · 0 votes
    9y

    Congratulations! I remember my first deal. These can get addictive.

  • Rental Property Investor · San Antonio, TX · Member since 2015 · 272 posts · 50 votes
    9y
    Awesome job Michael Enriquez !
  • Real Estate Broker · Charlotte, NC · Member since 2016 · 569 posts · 351 votes
    9y

    Congrats for you first deal..hoping for more for you..

  • Syracuse, NY · Member since 2015 · 100 posts · 87 votes
    9y
    Congrats!
  • Minneapolis, MN · Member since 2017 · 7 posts · 1 vote
    9y

    Do you pay a monthly fee to access MLS?

  • Union City, CA · Member since 2017 · 35 posts · 13 votes
    9y

    Congratulations Michael!

    I've been searching on MLS for months also for a multifamily!! You give me hope!!

    Thanks for sharing!

  • Hummelstown, PA · Member since 2017 · 29 posts · 23 votes
    9y
    Congrats! Best of luck to you!
  • Rental Property Investor · Portsmouth, VA · Member since 2016 · 38 posts · 13 votes
    9y

    Kudos!!!!!..... looks like a great property

  • New York City, NY · Member since 2013 · 3 posts · 1 vote
    9y

    CONGRATULATIONS!!! I need help with my first deal!!!! Can someone help me please!!?!?!? I'm begging!!! Thanks!!

  • Real Estate Broker · Moss Point, MS · Member since 2014 · 6 posts · 7 votes
    9y
    Congratulations 👍🏾
  • Realtor · San Jose, CA · Member since 2015 · 318 posts · 154 votes
    9y
    Congratz
  • Specialist · Miami, FL · Member since 2014 · 12 posts · 3 votes
    9y
    Michael Enriquez congratulations!! You're well on your way to those 100 units! Keep pushing.
  • San Jose, CA · Member since 2017 · 23 posts · 9 votes
    9y

    Congratulations and thank you for the motivation. Please keep us updated.

  • Investor · Houston, TX · Member since 2016 · 19 posts · 3 votes
    9y
    Congrats!!! Go out and celebrate!!!
  • Wholesaler · Brockton, MA · Member since 2016 · 13 posts · 2 votes
    9y
    Congratulations! I'm still on the hunt for mine
  • Rental Property Investor · Mount Vernon, NY · Member since 2016 · 89 posts · 125 votes
    9y

    @Account Closed I am so glad that you asked me this question as it forced me to pull out a pad and a pen and actually write down my road map (I have a bad habit of not writing down my goals and just keeping them in hindsight which sometimes, they end up getting lost; in hindsight).  When I say 100 units I don't mean 100 homes. I've narrowed down my focus to multifamily homes. 

    Fortunately, I've managed to build an excellent credit profile and have a decent and secure W2 job, which banks love. I'm now on my second mortgage and I intend to make sure that the rest of the mortgages I get will be cash out refinances where I can snowball that equity I force into other properties. I'm still reading through the Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac selling guides to thoroughly understand the requirements and restrictions associated with loans that are originated and sold off to them. 

    Long story short, my game plan from now will be BRRRR unless I find a great deal on the MLS. When I am no longer favored by the banks due to the high DTI, I will explore the realm of seller financing and commercial mortgages. Nearing the end of the 10 year mark I would like to scale up to a handful of larger multifamily properties. To do so, I will liquidate a good chunk of my holdings and 1031 those gains into maybe 3-30 unit complexes.

  • Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2016 · 11 posts · 4 votes
    9y

    thats awesome. congrats. I just closed on my first property and looking for the next one!

  • Rental Property Investor · Mount Vernon, NY · Member since 2016 · 89 posts · 125 votes
    9y

    @Vina Real I used a conventional mortgage. 25% down plus applicable closing costs. I wish I had closed on something when I first got my pre-approval letter, I was quoted a 4.125% interest rate then. This deal was closed with a 4.875% rate. 

    @Chris Ayers I'd say that the neighborhood is in transition. This block in particular is good and quiet, it's actually mostly owner occupants so there is pride of homeownership. 

  • Real Estate Investor · Spring Valley, CA · Member since 2016 · 288 posts · 98 votes
    9y

    congrats

  • Rental Property Investor · Mount Vernon, NY · Member since 2016 · 89 posts · 125 votes
    9y

    @Account Closed awesome!! Congratulations! I'll be down in Philly next week. Let's do lunch. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Mount Vernon, NY · Member since 2016 · 89 posts · 125 votes
    9y

    @Jinal Parekh No. I actively scout; Zillow, Trulia and Redfin. My realtor down there also placed me on an auto-search that e-mails me the minute something that fits my criteria hits the market. 

  • Rochester, NY · Member since 2017 · 8 posts · 1 vote
    9y

    Congrats! How much cash flow monthly after deducting the Mort. payment, the taxes, the HOIns and utilities if they are included?? I also take out $100 monthly on each unit for future repairs.

  • Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2016 · 11 posts · 4 votes
    9y

    @Michael Enriquez yea let me know when your here. Wow thats a huge interest rate. We did FHA + max closing costs paid by seller. Our rate was 3.75% We paid $280k with $9800 down ($12.5k closing costs paid by seller) and it was appraised at $300k

    We move in tomorrow actually. Its been a month since we bought it and ive been doing things to the house. Added half bath and exposed the living room, staircase brick wall.

    We will probably live in it for a year maybe two and sell it or rent it and move on to the next. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.