Educate your Real Estate agent

Educate your Real Estate agent

New Orleans, LA · Member since 2017 · 9 posts · 6 votes

Hi BP Community,

I wanted to share my recent interaction (email exchange) with a real estate agent who was advising me to up my offer price to beat the competition.

About 20 days ago, I called an agent about a double (1840 sqft) house in need of full renovation. This was a foreclose home-path property deal. The advertised sales price at that time was $219,000. Agent immediately told me that the property was under contract for much more than the advertised price. I run the numbers and it looked like a good purchase in that part of the town, the comps checked out. I told the agent to give me a call if the deal did not close. Apparently, the sale fell though, and I received a call from the RE agent about putting my "best and highest" offer because, there were multiple offers on the table over the asking price, as she claimed. I run the numbers again and I was comfortable offering $250,000 with 10% down and financing rest of the purchase price and renovation cost. Again, I received an email from the RE Agent hinting that my $250,000 offer price, which was $31,000 over the asking price, would likely be rejected because there were other high offers on the table.

I felt compelled to write this agent my thought process and analysis of this deal, in hopes to educate this person why my offer was "best and highest" offer for any buyer. Below, is the email I sent to the agent:

""
Hi RE Agent,

Thanks for the info! Looks like comparable properties around sell for between $221/sqft to $244/sqft.

My rough estimate on rehab on 1840 sqft is $80/sqft which is $147k.

If I buy the property, let's say, for $270k+$147k (Reno budget) +$5k (carrying costs) = I am all in at $422k.

If sold at $240 sqft *1840sqft= $441,600

Sales price - all in price - sales commission (5%) = $441,600-$422,000-$22,080= -$480 (negative $480).

As you can see, from this logic above, $250k should be absolute maximum amount any person (investor or individual) should pay, including myself. Otherwise, buyer will be, most guaranteed, upside down!

I am not sure if the sellers look favorably on all cash deal (in which case I could do $190k all cash) but otherwise $250k with 10% down homeopath loan is what I would say is my best and highest offer.

I hope in this email, I have outlined my investing strategy and the way I think of the "numbers" and if this template is useful for you to bring me other deals that fit my "formula", I would be most grateful. ""

I am not sure whether if I helped this agent to understand the real numbers behind this deal, but i know that eventually she will come to understand and think like an investor when dealing with investors.

As part of your interview process, you must ask your RE agent to give you analysis of a deal and then schedule 20-minute telephone conversation to speak with them about their assumptions and numbers. This will give you a window in their though process and their knowledge to vet the deals for you.

I welcome your thoughts and feedback! 

Thanks

2Reply
92 views

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Agent · Falls Church · Member since 2012 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
9y

@Diana Pritchard Why waste time writing that email to him, he/she is telling you facts. If there are higher offers on the table you will lose. Even more so if the offers are cash. 

Move on to the next property. Competition is high because of low inventory nationwide.

See this reply in the discussion

35 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Johnson City, TN · Member since 2014 · 586 posts · 705 votes
    9y

    @Mark Gallagher that's true, but when you win the bidding war on an overpriced property I wouldn't exactly call that being a winner. Too many people right now are throwing caution to the wind and overpaying and underestimating expenses. People are ignoring common sense and are going against their own investment criteria just to stay in the game. Common sense is never sexy but it never fails in the long run.

  • Investor · Littleton, MA · Member since 2017 · 15 posts · 5 votes
    9y

    As and agent myself I understand the stereotypical agent does not think in terms of profit after renovation but just profit after commission. Get yourself an agent who also is an investor and understands that investors have strict pricing based on a desired ROI. You will have a much better relationship and it will make your life much easier.

  • Investor · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2010 · 739 posts · 372 votes
    9y

    @Diana Pritchard $170k rehab?  Did I read that right?

  • Joel OwensBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Canton, GA · Member since 2010 · 15k+ posts · 11k+ votes
    9y

    Others have seen way more than me but I am about 14 years into the business. I am on the commercial side these days.

    A common theme I see from the last downturn is a feeling  of ELATION form people that do not understand cycles that values will keep going up forever. At some point the cycle starts coming down again.

    The people that have too many projects out there or paid too much will lose their as$. It's a game of gambling and musical chairs. On the residential side some builders will just buy a few lots to build on at a time. That way if the market starts retracting they can rent one out or have a fail safe to get out and sell cheap.

    You do not want a lot of debt on overpriced assets as the the market cycle heads down as many cannot hang on.

    There was a blood bath last time.

    Whatever I do I am staying quick and nimble. I remember 9/11 and what that taught me was be ready for ANYTHING no matter how much you never think something will happen it COULD happen. Millions of businesses were affected when that happened and nobody planned for such an event.

    I don't buy into the HYPE of the market these days. I have to work hard to find deals for my clients now looking for owners that have a pressing need to sell. Buyers can't screw around when a deal presents itself anymore whether it is on market or off market.

  • Joel OwensBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Canton, GA · Member since 2010 · 15k+ posts · 11k+ votes
    9y

    I saw this last time too where all these flips shows came out, seminars from educators were rampant, news stories were once again touting real estate as in vogue and a juggernaut that can't be stopped.

    I know agents right now buying cars,big houses, trips out the yang thinking (this is awesome).

    I am trying to make smart investments today and hold a certain liquidity position to take advantage of discounted assets in the future.

    There is talk that Trump's plan for reducing corporate taxes and road improvements might extend the cycle out 2 to 3 more years but nobody knows for sure. Just do not overpay because then you can be upside down on a property and if income goes down be struggling to maintain  debt service.

    The property the poster is talking about sounds like from everyone it is very overheated. You need to find off market properties with less eyeballs on it. Keep the uneducated buyers from overpaying to a seller where it does not make the deal work for an experienced investor anymore.

    There are these CA flip shows that constantly show them overpaying and then the market keeps rising and saves them every time where they still make a profit. That is purely fantasy land and speculative and it will go down again and those flippers could stand to lose a ton of money.

  • New Orleans, LA · Member since 2017 · 9 posts · 6 votes
    9y

    @Braden Smith@Lloyd Lind & @Mike Wood thanks for your comments. @Mike Wood i do agree with you that maybe my budget was overblown because i was scared with the foundation:( In any case, you all are correct the house in question is in Mid-city and as i understand its under contract. Whoever gets it i hope they return that mid city gem to it's once beautiful self. Again, thanks for your insightful comments everyone.

    on another note: I am looking for an accountant (RE knowledgeable accountant) who will do my books and advise on tax strategies.etc. who can you recommend?

  • Investor · New Orleans, LA · Member since 2012 · 968 posts · 747 votes
    9y

    @Diana Pritchard PM me and I'll send you contact info

  • New Orleans, LA · Member since 2017 · 9 posts · 6 votes
    9y

    @Braden Smith @Lloyd Lind @Mike Wood wholesale guy/investor called me today, apparently the other Bienville house owned by the same owner who was in foreclosure is now being wholesaled. Guy who called me wanted $265k. 3420 Bienville, he said it is 2265sqft with good roof and flooring. I don't have the money to buy it right (wish i did) hopefully you will. wanted to share. 

  • Investor · New Orleans, LA · Member since 2012 · 968 posts · 747 votes
    9y

    Thanks @Diana Pritchard. Sent you a PM.

  • Developer · New Orleans, LA · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 898 votes
    9y

    @Diana Pritchard Thanks for the mention. I'm tied up with my new construction projects, but I am sure they will find a buyer, even at that price.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.