Advice appreciated! - Negative cashflow but positive equity?

Advice appreciated! - Negative cashflow but positive equity?

Rental Property Investor · Fort Collins, CO · Member since 2017 · 41 posts · 10 votes

Hi Folks,

I am new to buying real estate for investment purposes, but have held a rental in which I used to live since 2014. With equity I've extracted from the first house I am looking at a 2-bed town house which has the following numbers:

Monthly Income: $1095Monthly Cash Flow (income minus expenses): $-310.25
Monthly Expenses...Cash on Cash Return...
Principal & Interest$800.00Down payment$51,125.00
Tax$80.00Closing costs$3,000.00
Insurance$56.00Washer dryer$560.00
HOA$205.00Paint$1,000.00
Utilities$0.00
Vacancy$54.75
Repairs$50.00
Capital Expenditures$50.00Total investment$55,685.00
Prop Mgmt$109.50Annual cash flow-$3,723.00
Total Expenses$1,405.25% ROI-6.69%

However if I factor in the equity that will be built because the mortgage is slowly being paid off then the ROI becomes positive. Should I not touch this deal with a barge pole? Or are there any of you who have gone ahead with such a purchase based solely on the equity gains?

I should add that I'm in the process of building a local network of acquaintances and contacts through this website and also face-to-face meetup groups. I know that this is a great way to become exposed to more ideas and options.

Advice / criticism / comments most appreciated!

Daniel

p.s. the formatting of the table above was not preserved when pasting into this forum. Hopefully it still somewhat makes sense.

0Reply
192 views

Most Popular Reply

Joe VilleneuvePro Member
Plymouth, MI · Member since 2013 · 13k+ posts · 19k+ votes
9y
Originally posted by @Account Closed:

> My question is why would you go into a deal knowing that you will lose money every month?

@Scott Trench  Thanks for the reply! Yes, that is basically my question. The only possible reason I can see is: that the renter is buying the house for you. So the cash flow lost each month would have to be weighed against the equity gained. Let's assume for argument's sake that there is an equity gain of $800/month, then subtracting the negative cash flow of $-310.25 still leaves a positive $489.75 every month ($5877 per year).

Do investors simply not include the equity gains when calculating ROI?

 You have just fallen victim to the Investor's Most expensive word..."rationalization".

First, the tenant isn't buying the house for you if you have negative cash flow...you are...and, you're paying your tenant to live in your house at the same time.

What are (were) your plans for the cash coming out of your pocket to cover that negative cash flow...that is if you didn't have to give it to your tenant to cover their "under payment"?  See, that negative cash flow money you are spending (and losing), probably had a different use in mind.  Now if you still have to have cash to use for that "other" use of those funds, you have to use alternative cash for that too.  That means your actual cost here is 2 times that negative cash flow.  Once, for the tenant, and the 2nd time to cover your expenses that those "tenant" funds were supposed to be covering.

Now the big one...no that wasn't it.  What are you going to do with all that equity you are building up?  It's pretty useless until you tap into it...and you can't tap into it by refinancing, or you get more negative cash flow.  By the way, ask anyone banking on equity how they did in 2008.  Also, where did you come up with $800/month in gained equity?  I hope it doesn't include your contributions to it.  That's not equity.  All you are doing is putting money under a mattress in the rental house.  That "equity" represents your cash...not profit, so you can't count it.  Now, if your tenant was paying for it, (i.e.Positive cash flow...), that would be different....and would be profit.

There's more...not good. What are your plans for your next property?  How are you going to pay for it?  How many more of these "gems" can you handle? 

See this reply in the discussion

68 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Residential Real Estate Broker · Bremerton, WA · Member since 2013 · 494 posts · 142 votes
    9y
    Originally posted by @Mike Roy:

    We saw a lot of this kind of rationalization in 2006/2007.  Those properties eventually went negative cash flow AND negative equity.

    If you're not cash flowing, you're speculating.  At this point in the cycle, I'd rather have that $55k in the bank.  Better deals are coming!

     Agreed ^^^^. Better deals are coming. 

  • Mechanicsburg, PA · Member since 2013 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    9y

    I say if it doesn't cash flow its not for me, and shouldn't be for you either,  Find a better property that cash flows. Don't count on appreciation or tax advantages, because both are always subject to change!

  • Fort Collins, CO · Member since 2015 · 39 posts · 6 votes
    9y

    2011 was the year.  Wish I would have bought more than the one I bought near Putnam elementary that year.  I bought another prop last year (paying top dollar in June due to the crazy market) and hope that I got in before the crazy property value increase plateaus (hopefully it never will!).  

    Good luck finding anoher investment prop.  I like everyone's advice on being cautious.  I know our market is red hot and looks stable but who really knows for sure.  I still plan to buy another property in the next year, but I am nervous about future market values.  I figure, buy smart and get a deal and it should work out.  

  • Rental Property Investor · Fort Collins, CO · Member since 2017 · 41 posts · 10 votes
    9y

    @Logan McConnell yeah we were very lucky buying our first house in 2011, then the second in 2014. Now my challenge is finding a deal. However I am really enjoying the prospect. Networking, meeting new people, evaluating opportunities. What's not to like!

    Are you considering looking further afield than Fort Collins at all?

  • Rental Property Investor · Fort Collins, CO · Member since 2015 · 128 posts · 327 votes
    9y

    @Account Closed I've never found anything to seriously consider in Fort Collins for these reasons. Rents are lower than the rest of the Front Range but prices aren't much different. You don't want a fat HOA; it's money down the drain and doesn't build equity OR help with leverage. Here's your picture once you filter for that:

    https://www.redfin.com/city/7006/CO/Fort-Collins/filter/sort=lo-price,property-type=house+condo+townhouse+multifamily,max-price=400k,hoa=100

  • Investor · Brownville, ME · Member since 2017 · 83 posts · 35 votes
    9y

    I don't even understand how you took the time to run the numbers on this. My spreadsheet would have turned red before I get all that in, and I'd have moved on. 

  • Steve ShaferBusiness Member
    Real Estate Professional · Fort Collins, CO · Member since 2014 · 27 posts · 20 votes
    9y

    @Account Closed Wow, talk about feedback! I would underscore what most everyone has already said, but I would add that if you are going to be paying an HOA fee on top of property mgmt, you really want to look hard at what you're getting for your money, i.e. avoid overlap in services.

    With the financing and cash you seem to have available and the fact that you won't be self-managing anyway, you would do well to look at Greeley where your cashflow will be significantly higher. Unless you find the very rare deal in Fort Collins, it's tough to make it work here right now and we're having all of our investor clients look at Greeley (and sometimes Loveland). Feel free to reach out directly if you want to get together and run some numbers.

  • Rental Property Investor · Fort Collins, CO · Member since 2017 · 41 posts · 10 votes
    9y
    Originally posted by @Sean Cassidy:

    I don't even understand how you took the time to run the numbers on this. My spreadsheet would have turned red before I get all that in, and I'd have moved on. 

    This is literally the first time I've ever "run the numbers" like this. I'm learning what to look for and how to evaluate properties. The feedback I'm getting from everyone here is way above the number of responses I expected to get. My question should really have ben more succinct: should I consider gained equity as part of the ROI when evaluating a property? The answer seems to be an emphatic "no"! Thanks for commenting!

  • Rental Property Investor · Fort Collins, CO · Member since 2017 · 41 posts · 10 votes
    9y

    @Steve Shafer yeah this input is amazing! And this is from a relatively "stupid" question ...perhaps that's why there are so many comments - the answer is easy ;-)

    At a local meetup group the last week we had a conversation about Greeley and the sentiment matched what you've said above. My wife is actually considering applying for a position with the NRCS there in the future (we live in Fort Collins but she commutes to Brighton) so that further increases my interest in the area (not to live, just to invest). Loveland is also of interest but probably not too dissimilar to Fort Collins. If I see something that really seems worthwhile I'd love to take you up on your offer to take a look at the numbers.

    Daniel

  • Investor · Brownville, ME · Member since 2017 · 83 posts · 35 votes
    9y

    @Account Closed I was just razzing you. And to be fair, my accountant once told me he could make money at any asking price... Provided he had complete control over the terms of the loan. 

    (So you know, 0% interest spread over 100 years... LOL)

  • Long Beach, CA · Member since 2017 · 23 posts · 6 votes
    9y
    Originally posted by @Justin B.:

    It's just my opinion but while equity can be a powerful thing, if it negatively cash flows I would never do it.  It's too easy to find deals with cash flow and equity.

    In many hot markets, the most you can get is 1% ROI cash flow. Would you pull the trigger then? (assuming you dont want to go out of state and want to stay local)

  • Investor · Gaithersburg, MD · Member since 2013 · 659 posts · 441 votes
    9y
    Originally posted by @Alex W.:
    Originally posted by @Justin B.:

    It's just my opinion but while equity can be a powerful thing, if it negatively cash flows I would never do it.  It's too easy to find deals with cash flow and equity.

    In many hot markets, the most you can get is 1% ROI cash flow. Would you pull the trigger then? (assuming you dont want to go out of state and want to stay local)

    Nope.  I was just making a general statement.  I have certain returns I look for and if the deal doesn't meet them, I walk away.  To clarify, I look for a certain cash flow return in my deals.  The other metrics are "less" important to me (but not overlooked), but that's just me.  Everyone has their own goals.  So don't get too crazy and ask if I'd buy a property that was expected to be worth half in 5 years just because it cash flowed well up front :).  The answer there is I doubt it.

    And I think a "hot" market is a relative term.  If by hot, you mean a seller's market where sellers are getting top dollar and it's expensive to buy in that market and returns are 1%, I'm not in that market, nor would I consider investing in one :).  I did get your assumption on wanting to invest locally if I was in a market like that but it's a stretchy assumption.  If I did not want to invest out of my area and I didn't want to entertain elsewhere and that's what I'd be stuck with, I either wouldn't be investing or I'd have to leave the area.  And yes, we can play all day with where the "line" is, but it's probably too objective to really discuss.  Again, being a numbers guy, there are a ton of factors that would play into it.

  • Investor · Scottsdale, AZ · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 885 votes
    9y

    @Account Closed Why not take the equity and buy a house "Subject To" and cash flow some other property? 

    Also, I can't make out the timing of your residency, but the IRS requires that you live in a property 3 out of the last 5 years to avoid capital gains at sale. 

    And if you can guarantee me what the rate of appreciation will be, I'll buy all day long because we all know that property never goes DOWN in value. Ooops, I forgot about the crashes we've been through. ;-).

  • Investor · Cleveland, OH · Member since 2015 · 6k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    9y

    @Account Closed, by taking out the equity in your rental, how much cash flow are you now "losing"?

    I agree that you SHOULD be able to find better returns for the amount you took out, than the lesser net income you currently get as a result. BUT, can you handle the temptation to spend it quickly?

    ie. The quicker you can cast your net wider, to find where cash DOES show a return, the better, but, you can't FORCE the deals to show up just because you want/need one NOW!

    [Or, is it a HELOC that doesn't cost much, until you actually draw on it?] Cheers...

  • Joe VilleneuvePro Member
    Plymouth, MI · Member since 2013 · 13k+ posts · 19k+ votes
    9y
    Originally posted by @Sean Cassidy:

    @Account Closed I was just razzing you. And to be fair, my accountant once told me he could make money at any asking price... Provided he had complete control over the terms of the loan. 

    (So you know, 0% interest spread over 100 years... LOL)

     To be fair again, he's right.  I want control over the terms of the loan.  If the loan is using the property as collateral (lienable), then the longer I have to pay it back (# 1 requirement) and the lower the interest rate (#2), the better I'll like it.

    If the loan is not lienable, as in non-collateralized, I don't care about the interest rate (other than it must be simple interest, interest only payments)...just the length of the loan...and the longer the better.  10% interest over 20 years is my standard.  Since I can use this money an unlimited number of times, the actual initial cost is insignificant...as long as I can manage the expense of it.  This becomes instant free cash (actually it's a "cashlike substance").

  • Ian WalshBusiness Member
    Lender · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2016 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    9y

    I personally never buy when a property has negative cash flow. The 50% rule is a good one.

  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    9y

    @Account Closed  tax free is 2 out of 5 years not 3 out of 5.   just a minor clarification.

    I would buy negative cash flow If I determined I could make money flipping the deal in a few years.

    this works in high appreciating markets.. does not work in most of the cash flow markets that don't appreciate.. no reason to even invest in real estate in most markets if your not positive CAsh flow NOtes offer much better and safer investment in those scenarios. 

    the most money I have made on deals have all been on NON cash flowing properties.. 

  • Investor · Scottsdale, AZ · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 885 votes
    9y

    @Jay Hinrichs Good catch. It is 2 out of the last 5 years.

  • Rental Property Investor · Fort Collins, CO · Member since 2017 · 41 posts · 10 votes
    9y

    > his works in high appreciating markets.. does not work in most of the cash flow markets that don't appreciate

    @Jay Hinrichs this was the rationale behind me even looking at the property at the start of this thread. Others have characterized this as "rolling the dice" or "like buying a lottery ticket". I can see that a good general principle is to favor investments that don't rely on appreciation. But I can also see that under certain circumstances, it can work.

  • Investor · Akron, OH · Member since 2017 · 8 posts · 2 votes
    9y

    The only possible scenario that might make sense of this deal is that you eventually would like to LIVE in the property but can not afford to at the current time. It's your dream home and you don't want it to pass by. But, you must realize that most tenants don't take care of your property and sometimes even destroy it, so you must factor that in to play also. As an investment property, I'd run, very fast, away from this one.

  • San Francisco, CA · Member since 2017 · 29 posts · 3 votes
    9y

    I'm not a fan of negative cash flow at all. Have you tried running it through this calculator? If it's negative I would stay away.

  • Rental Property Investor · Fort Collins, CO · Member since 2017 · 41 posts · 10 votes
    9y

    Hi @Jay Baker, thanks for the calculator link. I'll check it out tonight.

  • Real Estate Agent · Fort Collins, CO · Member since 2016 · 246 posts · 142 votes
    9y

    I was about to reply when I read @Scott Trench reply and I couldn't agree more.  I diversify my investing in appreciation and cash flow markets-Colorado and Tennessee, however, even though cash flow is better in TN, my rental in CO still cash flows.  Even when you have conservative estimations for cash flow, unexpected costs can eat into that cash flow so I can't imagine going in knowing CF would already be negative.  I know it isn't easy to find a deal in CO but I still think you can find a better investment!

  • Rental Property Investor · Fort Collins, CO · Member since 2017 · 41 posts · 10 votes
    9y

    Thanks for the advice @Jennifer Slaughter The search continues!

  • Investor · Union, NJ · Member since 2011 · 838 posts · 295 votes
    9y

    Daniel,

    Why would you put yourself at risk like this? Not having any cash flow puts you at a high risk where if you have cashflow AND appreciation and mortgage paydown you are not putting all your eggs in one basket..

    Kind of like a dividend paying stock.... The security pays you to hold it, lowering some of the risk associated with the asset as you are getting cash back monthly therefore lowering your risk should the asset fall in value.. And lets face it Real Estate is cyclical at some point that property may go down in value......

    I would never buy a property that didn't cashflow. If you have cashflow appreciation and debt payoff will follow... Not true the other way around...

    Just one investors opinion.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.