HALF MILLION dollar 4-Plex close. HBD to me!

HALF MILLION dollar 4-Plex close. HBD to me!

Real Estate Investor and Business Coach · Houston, TX · Member since 2016 · 107 posts · 77 votes

Today I turn 27. Today I close on a half million dollar 4 unit property. 

Needless to say, I’ve been busy.

Life is filled with so many ups and down. Right now life is up. Just a few short months ago life was not so up. As a matter of fact, just a few hours ago I had no clue that I would be closing today or launching a podcast today.

Late 2016 I was a young and hungry entrepreneur. To that fact nothing has changed. But I say that to highlight the slow progress made leading up to this day.

In August of 2016 I decided to buy my second rental property having purchased the first one just 3 months prior in Houston Texas. I decided that the opportunity was in Dallas so I packed my bags… actually I didn’t pack my bags. Let me explain the plan. I had been working hard all summer to create a few streams of passive income, some I’ve stuck to but most were failures. The idea was that if I was able to create these streams, I would then be able to use the profit made to invest in Real Estate and start building generational wealth for my family while creating the lifestyle I see for us in the near future. Real Estate still is the goal. The plan, however has changed drastically since then.

I began my search for my 2nd property to house-hack, renovate and then move a tenant in. Similar to the plan for my 1st property. I quickly realized that the market was entirely too hot and it would take me a lot longer than my previously estimated 3 week deadline to get off of a friends couch. Not coincidentally, my girlfriend lives in Dallas and has been instrumental in my success and supported me through what we thought would be a 3 week process but turned out to be a 9 month process - No, not a baby. It literally took me 9 months to move to Dallas Tx. It’s now time to actually pack my bags be a resident of Dallas.

In the past 9 months, I’ve made numerous offers on properties, I’ve even had a couple properties under contract. I had a futuristic 215K purchase price condo under contract for 4 whole months just to walk away empty handed because the seller (knowingly or unknowingly) neglected to disclose certain liens against the property. This was one of the worst roller coaster rides I have ever been on to date. Today, I am grateful for the experience and wouldn’t trade it for anything. I’ve learned so much and I’ve grown as a person in ways you wouldn’t believe. Through the process I’ve had so many sleepless nights, falling out with family members and friends, thousands of dollars and time thrown away. I mean it was gruesome. Luckily (or unluckily), I had been through a lot of the same problems before so I wasn’t a stranger to the lows. I actually spent the previous 2 years in what I believe to be the lowest points in my life - I’m sure I’ll cover this in a future post or on the podcast. So for now when you think “low, think LOW! These low equipped me with the “grit” I needed to stay afloat and keep my head above water while the world around me, as I knew it, was crashing and burning. I couldn’t close on anything, none of my businesses were profitable - in fact they were eating into my cash for the property purchase and any other funds they could get their hands on. I had too many things going on. I would go work my corporate job, get home and work on my businesses until it was time to shower and head to my corporate job again. I don’t recall how many nights I did this or how many nights I actually did sleep, but in my car because I had arrangements to close on a property that didn’t fall through.

Late December 2016 I realized that I was taking 3 steps back for every 2 steps I took in the right direction. Over time I shutdown my businesses one by one - not only because they began to grow too costly but also because I didn’t have the time to manage them so they would never grow profitable. This proved to be a good thing as I started freeing up more time for my primary businesses at the time, an online high end furniture store and real estate.

I realized that I condensed 5 years worth of failures into 5 crazy months. I also realized that I was behind schedule on my Real estate goals. I decided to make a hard stop and seek advice. Through a series of unrelated events I was able to hone in on exactly what I wanted to do, how I wanted to do it, and when I wanted it done by.

January 2017 I took off to the races. My plan was to create 2 seemingly complex businesses and focus on nothing else. I decided on 2 rather than 1 because they complimented each other very well. More importantly they were right in line with my long term goals.

Short term goals; my 2017 goals are to own and operate 100 units through the purchase of apartment complexes and help millions of people through their entrepreneurial and investing journey to create a lifestyle that most don’t know is possible. I know these are massive goals, especially for someone who has a full time corporate job but by publishing this post, I am counting on you to hold me accountable.

When I finally set on my path towards my goals, I figured that the worst was behind me and that the lows of the past 2 years would finally see some balance. I was wrong. Terribly wrong. Things got worse and fast. I got more entrenched in work, deal were still falling through left and right, tenants were vandalizing my property with no regard, I was still technically homeless and the IRS decided to freeze my accounts. At this point or maybe even far before this point, many would have tucked their tails and returned to safety BUT I was determined. I learned long ago that there was really no such thing as failure if you have the right mindset. So the more life pushed, the more I pushed back. I wasn’t taking no for an answer and decided a long time ago that I would see my goals through. So that’s exactly what I did (am still doing).

I originally planned on launch the podcast late April and closing on the aforementioned property around the same time. Completely unrelated, problems with both the podcast and my real estate ventures kept creeping up one after another, it was like a never ending cycle. At one point the problems grew so ridiculous that I knew there was a force out there trying to prevent my success. Different problems would arise and I would hear statements from professionals like “in my 35 years of doing this, I’ve never seen anything like this” or “this problem has always been a myth, you’re the first person I’ve seen it happen to”. I received these words of “encouragement” constantly and always replied with a smile and a “Wow, you mean I’ll get to tell that story one day” rather than a ‘why me’ panic attack. Every day for about 20 days, I was literally supposed to close on my property (again this stint was nothing to me as I had a prior property under contract for 4 whole months before complete disaster). I kid you not, almost every day we would push the closing back a day because of some issue no one had ever heard of before or because someone on my file was being fired or leaving. Even just yesterday, I couldn’t close on my 4-Plex because the Chase Bank system that catered to our particular transaction was down, not only was it down but we were in a fight against the clock as if Chase didn’t resume functionality timely then the seller was ready to walk. The seller almost pulled out on numerous occasions but again another story. On the Podcast front, again just yesterday, iTunes (as well) was experiencing technical difficulties that had “never happened before” and that it only affect a very small group of people around the world. From the narration of this post, I’m sure you already know that I, Daray Olaleye was in that small group whereas millions of everyday users were unaffected. These weren’t the worst problems, but the most recent. These problems, or series of unfortunate events came together in one accord to cease on one day, the same day at that. My birthday! Crazy right?

My string off failures and problems, unplanned of course, have let to the bizarre outcome that is turning 27, adding a new multifamily property in my portfolio. Well, I’m at work and my lunch break is over so in turn this post is concluding. I hope this story, my story inspires you to stick with it no matter the odds or opinions! God Bless - At the end of the day he is the only one that can truly bless us.

Daray.

22Reply
139 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Tillamook, OR · Member since 2013 · 8 posts · 4 votes
9y

Every loser has a sob story, we the winners are different. We've got sob stories but we never give up and that's what makes all the difference. Good luck to you but we know our success has never depended on luck just damned hard work!

See this reply in the discussion

36 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Investor and Business Coach · Houston, TX · Member since 2016 · 107 posts · 77 votes
    9y

    Thanks @Joe Fairless for encouraging me to write this post!

  • Investor · Cincinnati, OH · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    9y

    @Daray Olaleye what an incredible ride and congrats on getting to the finish line with the 4-unit. Excited to listen to your new podcast as well! 

  • San Francisco, CA · Member since 2017 · 11 posts · 6 votes
    9y

    What an intense story, but good on you for staying positive and moving forward!! Congrats

  • Real Estate Investor and Business Coach · Houston, TX · Member since 2016 · 107 posts · 77 votes
    9y
    Beily Pan Indeed it was. Thank you!
  • Real Estate Agent · Montgomery, IL · Member since 2017 · 15 posts · 2 votes
    9y

    Happy Belated Birthday your story is so inspirational right now for my husband and I have been experiencing a rocky start as well in this real estate world!  But like you said In your story some force (the Enemy) whom we already know is defeated any, tried to come in a destroy but the God we serve stepped in to intervene! Amen The Weaopons might form but they won't prosper! Keep doing what you doing God has great things in store for you!

    God Bless

  • Henderson, NV · Member since 2017 · 1 post · 1 vote
    9y

    Happy Belated Birthday!  Thank you for sharing your story.  Its very inspirational and I appreciate you sharing it. I also applaud your persistence and positive outlook.  We must have both to be successful.  Good luck to you in your 2017 goals!

  • Real Estate Investor and Business Coach · Houston, TX · Member since 2016 · 107 posts · 77 votes
    9y

    @Amanda Strickland Thank you for the birthday wishes. I'm so happy that you were able to find inspiration in my story to keep pushing forward. Please keep going if nothing else, the "rockiness" is what defines and refines us! If you believe, its already been ordained - its just your job to see it through! 

  • Real Estate Investor and Business Coach · Houston, TX · Member since 2016 · 107 posts · 77 votes
    9y

    @Debbie Kay Boman Thank you Debbie, for the birthday wishes! It was my pleasure to share my story - I almost felt obligated. Glad you enjoyed it! I'm sure you will continue to be persistent because successful is the only option for us! Good luck to you as well!

  • Bakersfield, CA · Member since 2016 · 49 posts · 3 votes
    9y

    God works in strange ways, Ive been having issues with getting my next deal (buy and hold deal) and i have been pushing through as well but this helps so much, especially when you mention that god is the only one that can truly bless us. Glory to God. Thanks for the encouraging post!!!

  • Investor · San Francisco, CA · Member since 2015 · 14 posts · 8 votes
    9y

    Happy Birthday @Daray Olaleye!  

    Major congratulations on overcoming obstacles and staying the course!  You're story is a real inspiration to those of us coming up the path!  Keep up the good work!

  • Investor · Kennewick, WA · Member since 2015 · 43 posts · 36 votes
    9y

    @Daray Olaleye

    If adversity really does make us stronger, you must be a super hero by now!  You are amazing.

  • Contractor · Franklinville, NJ · Member since 2013 · 183 posts · 86 votes
    9y

    Congrats on sticking with it!  I know what its like to deal with those "this has never happened" scenarios. We both must be magnets for them!

  • Investor · Queens, NY · Member since 2017 · 15 posts · 1 vote
    9y

    Congratulations @Daray Olaleye!! 

    You inspired me!! yes, so many obstacle but you kept going. You stayed positive and now you see the results. I'm trying to apply the same. Stay positive and focus on my ultimate goal. God bless you and I wish you many more deals. Successful deals. Keep sharing to inspire others and keep moving forward.

  • Professional · Nashville, TN · Member since 2015 · 29 posts · 25 votes
    9y

    Congrats on sticking it out man! That's a big accomplishment and only right for it to happen on your birthday. Big shout out to your gf too. My wife has been holding me down and she's been a major part of why I keep going so your gf deserves some props as well. 

  • David AcostaPro Member
    Wilmington, NC · Member since 2014 · 208 posts · 144 votes
    9y

    Congrats @Daray Olaleye !!!

  • Investor · Tillamook, OR · Member since 2013 · 8 posts · 4 votes
    9y

    Every loser has a sob story, we the winners are different. We've got sob stories but we never give up and that's what makes all the difference. Good luck to you but we know our success has never depended on luck just damned hard work!

  • Orlando, FL · Member since 2017 · 5 posts · 7 votes
    9y

    @darayO

    Man! Your story is THE DEFINITION of perseverance!! Thanks for the encouragement!! WE need it, reminding us that there some of us out there doing the darn thing!!!

    He gives strength, so let up keep fighting the good fight! 

    And HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! You have lived to fight another day!!

  • Investor · Phoenix, AZ · Member since 2016 · 46 posts · 17 votes
    9y

    Congratulations! We need to connect, the next time you're in Houston. 

  • Lender · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2017 · 7 posts · 2 votes
    9y

    Congrats man.  Great story of perseverance, these are always good to hear!

  • Rental Property Investor · Jacksonville, FL · Member since 2015 · 342 posts · 142 votes
    9y

    I respect the hustle.  I'm trying to do the same thing.  Keep going bro!

  • Flipper/Rehabber · The Woodlands, TX · Member since 2016 · 35 posts · 8 votes
    9y

    Always good to see someone push through the hard times. 

    What can you tell us about the 4 plex deal? Why this one versus any other? 

  • Real Estate Investor and Business Coach · Houston, TX · Member since 2016 · 107 posts · 77 votes
    9y

    @Account Closed Thank you! For sure, I'm in Houston twice a month.

  • Flipper · Morton, IL · Member since 2017 · 15 posts · 7 votes
    9y
    Thanks for the post. It does seem that never giving up is the single most important trait a person can possess. A good reminder for us all. It also seems to be the number one repeated answer at the end of the bp podcasts when they ask the guest . What is the thing that sets you apart from the guy who never gets started or fails at the start of his investment career? The answer is often that they never gave up! Good stuff.
  • Investor · Baton Rouge, LA · Member since 2014 · 280 posts · 219 votes
    9y

    @Daray Olaleye I like how you see these events as happening for you rather than to you.  That gratitude will pay off.  You should study up on the law of attraction to learn how to stop these unwanted events from manifesting in your reality.  After reading and watching The Secret, start listening to some of the Abraham-Hicks material on Youtube and really learn how you create your own reality.  Something tells me you are already familiar with some of these concepts, but really learning how the law of attraction works will change your life and your business in ways you only previously imagined.  And that imagination is one of the keys to your success.

    Now that you got all of this negativity off your chest, I suggest you never beat this drum again.  Never even give another thought to any struggles so that you do not attract more struggles because that is how it works; it is universal law.

    See you at the top!

  • Real Estate Investor and Business Coach · Houston, TX · Member since 2016 · 107 posts · 77 votes
    9y

    @Micah Johnson Thank you. Glad you enjoyed it!

    @Mitchlyn D. I appreciate it. You're right, if nothing else keep going!

    @Account Closed Right on Carlos! The Dallas market is very hot and very competitive. At the same time deals are falling to ruins every day for reasons that aren't always purchase price. On average, because during this time period I lived on the MLS, 1-2 properties that find my criteria would come on the market a month. I wasn't privy to any off market deals for a myriad of reasons so my best opportunity was to attack deals that were under contract but came back on the market. Back then I didn't know this but in hindsight I had 2 reasons for this: 1. Speed is key and I knew I could be the fastest - When a deal goes on the market, you can be as speedy as you want to make an offer but since it's "on market" there is no reason why a seller should be in a rush to accept your offer. But think about a property that is "on market" gets under contract, contract defaults, and the property is back on the market. These sellers, although they're property is on the market have a slightly more passionate urge to get a deal done, after-all they were just fully committed to a deal that fell through. It's like running a race and making it all the way to the finish line only to be told to start over. Again, you have to remember that in most of these scenarios for a property to make it back to the market then it must mean that not only didn't the deal pan out but the runners up were also unsuccessful. I decided to watch it market for properties that I had previously did underwriting on. If one came back to the market, I called the broker almost instantaneously. I'll emphasize that I was able to be so speedy because I contacted the brokers myself. In previous deals my broker slowed me down, I was on his time - I knew I never wanted this again. 2. I knew that by not having a broker, the broker would be more inclined to have me close the deal over anyone else because of double commission (this actually didn't work the first time around). Long story short: why this one? Because the numbers worked for me. It would be a cash-flowing property even with owner occupancy. Hope this helps, I share the story in more detail on my podcast. I don't want to write you a whole book. Haha.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.