Something to worry about?

Something to worry about?

Sharad M.Pro Member
Carlsbad, CA · Member since 2010 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes

Hello all-

I talked to a seller this afternoon regarding a property. The seller has a 4 unit building. Each unit is 1 bd/1 ba, and each of them is rented out.

One thing I thought was kind of interesting was that the seller mentioned that when I come over to look at the property, he will tell the tenants that I am looking to paint the place. Is that something that will raise a red flag? Any thoughts on this will be much appreciated.

0Reply
19 views

Most Popular Reply

Rental Property Investor · Mercer Island, WA · Member since 2008 · 22k+ posts · 14k+ votes
16y

Not unusual to have some story for the tenants when bringing a potential buyer though the place. Tenants might get freaked out when you tell them you're selling.

See this reply in the discussion

5 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Mercer Island, WA · Member since 2008 · 22k+ posts · 14k+ votes
    16y

    Not unusual to have some story for the tenants when bringing a potential buyer though the place. Tenants might get freaked out when you tell them you're selling.

  • Real Estate Investor · Glen Allen, VA · Member since 2008 · 74 posts · 43 votes
    16y

    Exactly right above - a lot of landlords don't want to alert their tenants to the fact they're looking to sell the property. I wouldn't worry about this - it's pretty typical. In general, tenants may get worried about the building being sold for many reasons, major one being they are afraid the new landlord will raise rents.

  • Sharad M.Pro Member
    OP
    Carlsbad, CA · Member since 2010 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    16y

    Thanks guys for your replies! As always much appreciated.

  • Real Estate Investor · the villages, FL · Member since 2008 · 5k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    16y

    I wasn't clear on this. If the seller was representing you as a PAINTING contractor doing a bid, then I agree with Jon. If he was representing you as a buyer that would paint AFTER buying the property, then I disagree. Rich

  • Sharad M.Pro Member
    OP
    Carlsbad, CA · Member since 2010 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    16y

    Hi Rich-

    The seller will respresent me as a painting contractor doing a bid.

    Thanks!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.