27 Units at 27 Years Old

27 Units at 27 Years Old

Rental Property Investor · Scranton, PA · Member since 2014 · 13 posts · 33 votes

I’ve been reading the BP blogs and books, and listening to all the podcasts over the past few years but have rarely posted. I wanted to finally share my real story and get more involved here on BP …. sorry it’s a bit long!

My real estate career started long before I had any aspirations to become a real estate investor. When I was 12 years old, I started a lawn care business in my neighborhood that I ended up keeping until I was out of college with a “real” full time job. Without going into details on the lawn care business, I was able to save enough money to buy my first car when I turned 16 (a brand new car!). Although most everyone here (including my now 27 year old self) may say this was a dumb purchase, I was 16 years old and I didn’t consider the long term effects this would have on my personal financial position (nor did I care at that point in my life). Fast forward a few years and I’m finishing up my junior year of college; I was an entrepreneurship and finance major and beginning to get serious of where I wanted to take my life.

Most of my peers were taking jobs where they would be expected to work long hours in exchange for a decent first year salary (money vs time). So what did I do? I took a job where I would be expected to work long hours in exchange for a decent first year salary. I did as others did. But I also had a desire to do more, I wanted something of my own, similar to my lawn care business. My father had a few rental properties and had a "system" already in place. This was in 2011 and there was an abundance of properties where the numbers worked well. I didn't know much, this was BBP (before biggerpockets) or at least before I knew of it, but I dove in head first with the simple math that rents>expenses. I paid $95,000 for the duplex, put about $10,000 into it and rented each side for $800. I took out a 15 year mortgage, taxes and insurance were low, and I ended up clearing about $700 a month before CapEx/repairs. My down payment money came from my lawn care business and internships I had each summer; it was senior year Fall semester. I got the real estate bug, I wanted more.

I started my first job outside of Philadelphia after I graduated the following May. After having success in my first deal, I was interested in buying a permanent residence but renting out the remainder of the bedrooms to friends to cover the mortgage. Today we call that a House Hack (remember this is 2012, BBP) .. coined by @Brandon Turner. I ended up finding a house in an upcoming neighborhood but it was out of my price range. I brought in my college roommate to do a 50/50 partnership on the house. We bought the 4 bedroom house for $280k with bank financing. We took out a 30 year mortgage, taxes were extremely low (the house was new construction with a 10 year tax abatement) and ended up with expenses at $1,100 per month. We rented the other two bedrooms out for $650 each so we actually had a small cash flow per month WHILE living there. House Hack complete.

The next few years (2012-2016) I didn’t really have any concrete plans but I was looking to buy one new duplex per year while working a full time job (50 hours/week). At the end of 2016, I was continuing on my path with a total of 14 doors- 7 duplexes. Within that time frame I ended up pursing a new job opportunity in New York City where to this day I rent an apartment. I rented out my bedroom in Philly and captured an additional $700 per month in cash flow there. But it was strange renting an apartment from another landlord while I had 8 houses of my own; but to me, the numbers didn’t work to justify a purchase in the NYC metro, it was more beneficial to find a “cheap” apartment and rent.

In 2017, I decided to turn up the pace a bit and I purchased a value add 6 unit apartment and a turnkey 4 unit apartment. Both new to me, each with their own challenges. This pushed my total doors to 27. All of my properties were 20% down, bank financing and funded by the cash flow from the previous properties and my salary as a full time employee. The bank lends to me because I’m employed full time and I don’t rely on my rental income. It’s been a grind… but totally worth it! I look at the bigger picture of the equity and cash flow I am building. I could have probably scaled much faster with creative financing (I read about it all the time) and making the leap to real estate full time sooner, but that wasn’t the path I wanted. I have done it slow and methodical with calculated risks. Although some day I would like to make the switch to full time investor, I am content on continuing to build my RE business organically as long as possible.

Oh, and in regards to my car that was a bad investment back in 2006, I still drive it today. My 27 year old self thinks a bit differently about “bad” debt. I will probably still be driving it in another 11 years :)

29Reply
129 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Des Moines, IA · Member since 2014 · 238 posts · 230 votes
9y

@Spencer Liddic @Douglas Orr

Congrats on your successes!    I am in a similar boat (27 at the moment) with 50+ doors (including a handful of commercial investments).  I took the full time plunge at the end of 2014/beginning of 2015 and have found that scale moves at a much faster clip rate when you dedicate 100% to it.  I horizontally expanded across the local market which has created a large degree of synergy.  To help spin the plates, my father relocated to the area and helped to get a construction company off the ground.  In addition, I opened a full-time real estate brokerage with a handful of quality agents (primarily investment focused).  

Overall, going full-time "investor" has been a grossly rewarding emotional, mental, and financial experience and glad I went full time when I did although it was intimidating at first...   I can honestly say, I do not work anymore... I just do something I love, that pays rather well.

See this reply in the discussion

27 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2017 · 97 posts · 30 votes
    9y

    @Spencer Liddic I love it. Being about to be 27 in a position to have 27 doors is awesome! Looking forward to hearing more about what your goals will be moving forward. If you ever need someone on your team to help you scale that business I would be very open to having that conversation with you in the Philadelphia area. 

    PS: Always buy your car Brand-Used (Brand new car with very very low miles) to depreciate some of the cost or even lease then buy it outright when the lease term matures... Just my view on that 

  • Rental Property Investor · Greensburg, IN · Member since 2016 · 65 posts · 40 votes
    9y
    Awesome job! I started when I was 25 (29 now) and have 50 doors. I've used creative financing because of the bank's debt/income ratios (it sounds like you've ran into this situation before too). After the second time the bank tried to slow my progress I decided to seek and obtained seller financing. Just think where we'll be when we're 50!!! It's exciting stuff! Congrats!!!
  • Rental Property Investor · Jacksonville, FL · Member since 2015 · 342 posts · 142 votes
    9y

    @Spencer Liddic Congrats man!  Great motivation story.  Couple of questions for you if you don't mind:

    (1) What is your strategy for collecting rent?  

    (2) Do you have a local team that handles trouble calls

    (3) Are you managing these properties yourself and if so, what types of systems do you have in place?

  • Rental Property Investor · Scranton, PA · Member since 2014 · 13 posts · 33 votes
    9y

    @Account Closed thanks for your comments! I self manage and have my tenants either send their rents to me or directly deposit at the bank. I find that landlord is a two way business, sometimes landlords don't manage it that way and it comes back to hurt them. I take care of my tenants with an maintenance issues and it seems to come back the other way In return. I have a team of local contractors that I use for any maintenance issues. Also, I am fortunate that I have family in the area that I could always fall back on if it's something that maintenance can't handle. More than happy to chat more too! Do you manage from a far?

  • Investor · Des Moines, IA · Member since 2014 · 238 posts · 230 votes
    9y

    @Spencer Liddic @Douglas Orr

    Congrats on your successes!    I am in a similar boat (27 at the moment) with 50+ doors (including a handful of commercial investments).  I took the full time plunge at the end of 2014/beginning of 2015 and have found that scale moves at a much faster clip rate when you dedicate 100% to it.  I horizontally expanded across the local market which has created a large degree of synergy.  To help spin the plates, my father relocated to the area and helped to get a construction company off the ground.  In addition, I opened a full-time real estate brokerage with a handful of quality agents (primarily investment focused).  

    Overall, going full-time "investor" has been a grossly rewarding emotional, mental, and financial experience and glad I went full time when I did although it was intimidating at first...   I can honestly say, I do not work anymore... I just do something I love, that pays rather well.

  • Rental Property Investor · Greensburg, IN · Member since 2016 · 65 posts · 40 votes
    9y
    @Spencer Liddic I was just featured on GRE. I tell my story there.
  • Rental Property Investor · Jacksonville, FL · Member since 2015 · 342 posts · 142 votes
    9y
    Spencer Liddic - I see you are self managing which is great. I try to gain knowledge from everyone so I appreciate your strategy. I'm working on a duplex right now and the goal is to self manage myself. I need the setup to subsystems in place to make its success!
  • Salesville, AR · Member since 2017 · 9 posts · 1 vote
    9y
    Your story is so motivational!! Thank you for sharing! I'm 30 and just now starting my adventure into real estate investing.
  • Rental Property Investor · St. Paul, MN · Member since 2016 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    9y

    Congrats gentlemen! Keep up the great work 

  • Investor · Columbus, MT · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    9y

    @Spencer Liddic

    First off, well done! 

    Secondly what are your long term goals? How many is enough? Something I'm trying to figure out. 

    And thirdly, Scranton? As in the Office Scranton? I love that show! 

  • Real Estate Agent · Smyrna, GA · Member since 2014 · 185 posts · 101 votes
    9y

    @Spencer Liddic Thank you for sharing your story! It's definitely kicking my butt into high gear for growing my portfolio. I'm proud of your continued success

  • Rental Property Investor · Scranton, PA · Member since 2014 · 13 posts · 33 votes
    9y

    @Mitchlyn D. you said it, they key is setting up the system. I have a great group of realtors, bankers, tenants, handymen, plumbers, etc. that help make self managing possible!

    @Joshua D. great question! There are different theories on the goal setting as described here on BP. I am a fan of setting some loose goals (be financially free and obtain 100 units) but overall I don't set finite goals such as 10 units this year, 20 the next, etc. I am working towards my financial freedom (almost there) and will continue to build from there depending on the types of deals available.

    And thank you everyone else for your kind words! 

  • Investor · Tromsø, Norway (Europe) · Member since 2015 · 431 posts · 194 votes
    9y

    @Spencer Liddic Awesome work!

    Have you done any seller financing along the way, and have any experiences that you can share?

    And if not, do you have any recommendations for newbies looking to get their first bank loan?  

  • Rental Property Investor · Scranton, PA · Member since 2014 · 13 posts · 33 votes
    9y

    @Ingrid J. thank you for your comment! I have not done any seller financing although I am interested in exploring that. My understanding is that the seller will need to pwn the property free and clear (or close to it). I am working on a deal that I may try to use owner financing, will keep you updated if I do!

    My recommendation is to use a local bank and create a relationship. I used my full time job as a means to secure my first loan (and all subsequent loans). I have never missed a payment, provide all the necessary paperwork, and make it as easy as possible for my bank on all my transactions; this has created a very strong relationship over the years. 

  • Real Estate Investor · Sunny Isles Beach, FL · Member since 2013 · 788 posts · 333 votes
    9y

    Awesome! I'm inspired.

  • Investor · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2017 · 3 posts · 2 votes
    9y
    Spencer, great story. Do you have your properties in your name or an LLC?
  • Rental Property Investor · Scranton, PA · Member since 2014 · 13 posts · 33 votes
    9y

    @Oliver Kell thank you, my properties are all in my LLC. Decision I made from the start, I've heard quite a few pros and cons to personal investing vs. LLC investing. But I am comfortable with an LLC.

  • Rental Property Investor · Miami, FL · Member since 2017 · 2k+ posts · 911 votes
    9y

    Awesome story man. Keep up the good work. 

  • Investor · Tromsø, Norway (Europe) · Member since 2015 · 431 posts · 194 votes
    9y

    @Spencer Liddic I would ask around BP about seller financing if you are considering it. There are plenty of people here who have experience with it.

    Thanks for sharing about how you acquired bank financing.

    Keep us all updated on all your good work.

  • Real Estate Agent · Brooklyn, NY · Member since 2017 · 54 posts · 21 votes
    9y

    Congrats on your success! What an inspirational story.

  • Rental Property Investor · Richmond, VA · Member since 2017 · 295 posts · 229 votes
    9y

    @Spencer Liddic I am a year younger than you so you are truly an inspiration to push me to get going on my portfolio. Congratulations on all the success! 

  • Shawn AckermanPro Member
    Real Estate Entrepreneur · Mid West, East Coast · Member since 2015 · 3k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    9y

    @Spencer Liddic great story.  Keep on plugging away my friend.  All the best!

  • Fort Collins, CO · Member since 2016 · 34 posts · 13 votes
    9y

    @Spencer Liddic congratulations, keep crushing :)

  • Rental Property Investor · Scranton, PA · Member since 2014 · 13 posts · 33 votes
    9y

    Thank you @Rohith Janga @Shawn Ackerman@Amy H.@Jessica Melendez for your kind words! It takes time to build up (at least this way) and patience and perseverance is key!

  • Rental Property Investor · Redwood City, CA · Member since 2017 · 50 posts · 22 votes
    9y

    @Spencer Liddic Keep rocking it Spencer!! Stay true to your own investment style and what you feel comfortable doing. AWESOME JOB!!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.