Investor · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2017 · 136 posts · 54 votes
Each side has 3/2 with 1 car garage and unfinished basement. Units are 1200 sq ft. Rents are $700 each side. Both units are occupied. Renters pay all utilities. Neighborhood is B-/C+. There are only multifamily properties on this street. It seems as if the rents are maxed out, and could not be increased much without owning all 20+ units on the street. Asking price is $130K, but this is high considering age (built in 1991), location, repairs needed, and the other properties around it. One unit will definitely need carpet and minor drywall. The basements/garages are tiny (600 sq ft) and only a small car would fit. This property barely meets the 1% rule, but this is common in this area. Assuming a selling price of $120K and 20% down, monthly cashflow would be $222.76/month. I have some experience with single family, but wanting to get into multi family. In this area it seems sellers want a premium for occupied properties. What are your thoughts?
Rental Property Investor · Seattle, WA · Member since 2017 · 383 posts · 248 votes
9y
Make an offer on it at a number that makes sense for you and is cash-flow positive. Some questions for you: is it currently rented and what are the lease conditions? If you do the carpet + drywall (and paint) can you get $750-800 for that unit? Can you add $50/mo for "covered parking/storage" to increase revenue. It's great they're paying their own utilities.
Rental Property Investor · Seattle, WA · Member since 2017 · 383 posts · 248 votes
9y
Make an offer on it at a number that makes sense for you and is cash-flow positive. Some questions for you: is it currently rented and what are the lease conditions? If you do the carpet + drywall (and paint) can you get $750-800 for that unit? Can you add $50/mo for "covered parking/storage" to increase revenue. It's great they're paying their own utilities.
Investor · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2017 · 136 posts · 54 votes
9y
Thanks for the response! It is rented. Not too sure of terms. Don't think rents could increase without affecting vacancy rate. I couldn't believe they were paying $700.
Real Estate Agent · Bowling Green KY ~ Lexington, KY · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 601 votes
9y
Pretty sure this answers your question. "Asking price is $130K, but this is high". You can still put in an offer and see what happens but if it doesn't fit your target numbers than look for a better deal.
Investor · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2017 · 136 posts · 54 votes
9y
@ Jim Wilcox. Thanks for the response. I think that the supply of MF is so low in this area, that they think they can sell at a premium. And, someone who doesn't understand how to evaluate a property, will probably end up buying it. I may have to find one in severe need of rehab that I can buy dirt cheap. I drove past one over the weekend. Hopefully the bank will deal.
Real Estate Agent · Bowling Green KY ~ Lexington, KY · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 601 votes
9y
@Troy Luster it just depends on your goals and what you want out of your property. I have seen many properties sell for more than double than what I would be willing to pay. However, if it sells who was really wrong? It may meet others buying criteria. I don't judge just doesn't work for me personally. I have even passed on 3% deals before and others would think I was crazy to do so. Just use your buying criteria and stick with it. The riches are in the niches.