My First Deal: Turnkey Studio Duplex in Portugal

My First Deal: Turnkey Studio Duplex in Portugal

Investor · Dublin, County Dublin · Member since 2017 · 10 posts · 3 votes

BP mastermind,

I wanted to share the story of my very first deal. It's not the best deal ever, but I had to start somewhere after 6 months learning the theory (a lot thanks to BiggerPockets's mantra of taking action and learning by doing).

As a background, I'm Portuguese and am living and working in Ireland for the past 6 years. Working in the tech industry, I was able to save enough money (initially planned to buy a home for myself, but after reading Rich Dad Poor Dad the goal obviously changed) for my first investment.

After analyzing the potential markets to invest (Ireland, UK, and Portugal), I came to the conclusion that Portugal was the best choice. Not only because I had the connections and market knowledge, but also because it's a much cheaper market.

So I went ahead and connected with a local investor through online search (unfortunately there are not many Portuguese in BiggerPockets). He was investing in a little town called Covilhã, and told me all about the region. It is one of the best regions to invest in buy-and-hold due to it's low acquisition costs and relatively high rents (large University and housing shortage). 

After weeks working on the relationship, we agreed that he would wholesale me some deals. Adding to this, he was working with a property management company that leases properties for long term, and then rents out to students. This was the perfect combination for someone investing from abroad.

So the first deal was a newly refurbished 2 studio apartment building, right next to the local University. I bought it all cash, and below you'll see the details:

List Price: $60,000

Purchase Price: $51,500

Wholesale fee: $4,000

Closing costs: $1,083

Gross Rent/Month: $300

Lease term: 10 years

CoC Return: 6.4%

Again, not the most attractive numbers, but the tradeoff is that the property management company will deal with tenants and maintenance, and I'll have constant flow of cash for the next 10 years. The only risk is if the company goes bankrupt (which in case I would then start self-managing), and the only costs I'll have to cover are potential structural damages (which would most likely be covered by insurance).

Another plus side of having invested all cash, is that I will have potential access to lines of credit both for home equity (up to 70% of home equity), AND for future guaranteed rents (up to 60% of total 10 year rent roll).

Already planning on the next property using the same strategy, but this time with traditional financing (looking for 100% mortgage). Will update you guys soon!

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts, and if you ever structured deals in a similar way.

Cheers!

1Reply
41 views

13 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Alcabideche, Lisboa · Member since 2016 · 3 posts · 0 votes
    9y

    Hey Tiago! 

    Congratulations on your first purchase and thank you for sharing the details. 

    I am also portuguese and working abroad, currently working and living in Dubai, so i get excited whenever i see portuguese posts here! I've learnt a lot from Biggerpockets!

    I have been investing in Portugal too, in Lisbon mainly. I have a total of 4 apartments now.

    I got 2 new ones this year, 1 cash 1 70% financed. But prices have sky-rocketed in the last few years so it has become very difficult to find deals that make sense.

    Once i finish the 2 apartments I recently purchased and rent it out i will probably start looking at different more affordable areas, but probably around greater Lisbon.

    I think investing in university towns is a great strategy, around hospitals and stations are other good areas to focus on. 

    Good luck on your next purchase!

  • Specialist · Lakewood, CO · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    9y

    @Tiago Faria congrats on taking your first step! What are your expenses? You still have to pay to maintain the place, and the management company will still charge for managing. I would expect you are looking more at a 0% return or less after expenses.

    I did one step worse when I lived abroad: nothing. I lived in the UK and just saved money without taking action. Consider the money it sounds like you will lose as paying for an education and keep learning. If I could do it again I would have loaned the money at 8-12% and looked for a real deal.

    Best of luck and have a Guinness for me!

  • Investor · Dublin, County Dublin · Member since 2017 · 10 posts · 3 votes
    9y

    @Bryan O. thanks for your feedback!

    Actually, the deal is interesting because there are actually no managing expenses. The property management company that I made a 10 year contract with is responsible for everything (vacancies, maintenance, repairs, etc).

    I get the $300 every month, and they sub-let to students at higher rents and are responsible for everything (and its in their interest to keep the property nice and tidy). 

    As I said, the only potential costs are structural damages (such as infiltrations, etc), which are unlikely in the near future (as the property was now fully refurbed), and will be covered by insurance.

    It is quite a cool concept, especially for overseas investors IMO. What do you think?

  • Investor · Milton, GA · Member since 2017 · 6 posts · 0 votes
    9y

    @Tiago Faria Congratulations on your first deal and does seem to have an interesting structure for overseas investors.

  • Investor · Dublin, County Dublin · Member since 2017 · 10 posts · 3 votes
    9y

    Thanks @Sanjay Raj! It is really a relief that the first step is done. Now to the next one!

  • Specialist · Lakewood, CO · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    9y

    @Tiago Faria that is an interesting setup. Can you tell me what would happen if you wanted to sell it before your 10 year contract is up? What happens if the management company is not good and you want to hire another? What happens as rents continue to climb? Do you keep the low income and the management company keeps all the upside? Is there potential to use it for AirBnB or some other short term arrangement to increase the income?

    On a less related note, what are the tax treatments like for owning property for wherever you pay taxes? Is it sheltered like it is in the US?

  • Rental Property Investor · Miami, FL · Member since 2017 · 2k+ posts · 911 votes
    9y

    Lease term is 10 years? The tenant signed a 10 year lease with you? 

  • Investor · Dublin, County Dublin · Member since 2017 · 10 posts · 3 votes
    9y

    @Bryan O. If I want to break the contract, I have to give 120 day notice and compensate the company for any repair costs made up until that moment. Again, it's in the interest of the management company to be good and keep attracting great tenants, as they'll have to pay me constantly every month. 

    Regarding rents, indeed if market rents go up the management keeps all the upside (that's the downside of this passive/low risk model).

    In terms of rental income tax, I can shelter with insurance costs and property taxes. 

  • Investor · Dublin, County Dublin · Member since 2017 · 10 posts · 3 votes
    9y

    @Antoine Martel lease term was signed with a management company, not the end tenant. The management company will pay me a fixed rent every single month, and then will sub-let to tenants with a markup.

  • Rental Property Investor · Miami, FL · Member since 2017 · 2k+ posts · 911 votes
    9y
    Originally posted by @Tiago Faria:

    @Antoine Martel lease term was signed with a management company, not the end tenant. The management company will pay me a fixed rent every single month, and then will sub-let to tenants with a markup.

     Got it. Interesting. 

  • Specialist · Lakewood, CO · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    9y

    @Tiago Faria That sounds like a bad deal. My hope for you was that as rents increased, your return could grow into something worthwhile. I am all for paying to learn, but you just signed up to learn the same lesson for the next 10 years without hope for improvement. It could be that I have bias because of the US levels of return. From what I understand they are much higher than most other countries. I would not be willing to take 6% for 10 years when you can get 10% and higher for staying just as passive and get in and out in faster timelines?

  • Oeiras, Lisbon · Member since 2017 · 22 posts · 12 votes
    8y

    Hi,

    who, according to your agreement, has to cover the costs of:

    1. Annual property tax (IMI)? (0.3x % of the assessed tax value of the property)

    2. Insurance (should be around 75 €/p.a.)

    3. Service charge if property is located in building with multiple owners (150-350 € p.a.)

    Also, depending of the nature of your contract you eventually are liable for stamp duty (10 % of one month rent, upon signature of the contract).

    In overall very dry deal.

  • Investor · Coimbra, Portugal · Member since 2015 · 54 posts · 37 votes
    7y

    @Tiago Faria We were looking at something similar in Coimbra in December. I will be in Castelo Branco in March, and I want to check out Covilhã while I am there. Renting to students is a good model, and unlikely to run foul of the Portuguese tenant-friendly laws for renewals.  However, @Bryan O. is correct, it would be better in this case to cut out the middle man, take any hit on maintenance, but reap a higher profit. Over the 10 year period rents are likely to increase dramatically. We have property in Colorado that we rent in a similar way, and it works VERY well. 

    The other option would be to take a mortgage. Even with 20% down, the 2% mortgage rate is a great way to boost ROI.

    I have experienced with this kind of rental, but I have not yet invested in Portugal, and want to learn more about the specifics. If you are available between March 12-19th I would be interested in meeting with you.

    -- Mark

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.