How I Gave Myself a $24,000 Raise Through House Hacking

How I Gave Myself a $24,000 Raise Through House Hacking

Shiloh LundahlPro Member
Rental Property Investor · Gilbert, AZ · Member since 2016 · 3k+ posts · 4k+ votes

I recently purchased a house in Burbank, California.  It was a long process finding a house that made investment sense in a location with such high demand and such high prices (average cost is $750k for a 1400-1500 square foot 3 bed 2 bath older home).  What attracted my wife and I to purchasing this particular house is that it has a huge high-pitched roof and a guest house in the back. 

The house is currently a 2 bedroom 2 bathroom 1400 square foot house that we are going to add around 800 square feet to by adding 2 bedrooms and another bath/laundry room and 2 lofts up in the enormous attic, thus making it a 4 bedroom 3 bathroom 2200 square foot home.  We are planning on making this a live in flip and then selling it in the next 2-3 years after we complete the addition for around $180k.

The raise I gave myself has to do with the guest house in the back.  The guest house is a 400 square foot finished house with a kitchenette and a 3/4 bathroom.

Because of the high demand for housing in the area, we were able to charge $1500 a month for the guest house (that included utilities, internet, and laundry access in the garage).

The tenant is reducing my mortgage payment by $1500 a month thus lowing my yearly expenses by $18,000 a year.  In order for me to net $18,000 more a year I would have to earn around $24,000 more a year if I were to pay around 25% or $6,000 more a year in income taxes.

Now, I know this example doesn't take in to consideration the increased utilities that the tenant uses, and it doesn't take into consideration taxes that I may need to pay on the $1500 a month (which I will be working out with my CPA to figure how to minimize that).  But, nevertheless, the decreased monthly expenses was equivalent to giving myself a tens of thousands of dollars raise each year through this version of a house hack.

15Reply
105 views

Most Popular Reply

Rental Property Investor · East Wenatchee, WA · Member since 2014 · 10k+ posts · 16k+ votes
9y

Well done and welcome to the 'not all househacks are plexes' club @Shiloh Lundahl!

I've had mine for 10yrs so far and it has a lot to do with my not having a w-2 in so long. Sounds like more freedom to me!

I would disagree that it is all taxable and the rent is akin to ordinary income.  Without my  mother-in-law rental, I wouldn't be able to deduct any mortgage interest at all (I'm well below $11k/yr), I wouldn't be able to deduct yard work or half the water/sewer/garbage fees.  Not to mention it is passive and not subject to SE.

Biggest benefit is your primary is now an actual asset that will put money in your pocket when paid off.  Mine will forever bring in more than maintenance, taxes, insurance etc will cost.  Congrats and thank you for sharing this part of your story!      

See this reply in the discussion

38 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Shiloh LundahlPro Member
    OP
    Rental Property Investor · Gilbert, AZ · Member since 2016 · 3k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    9y

    @Naren Gunasekera That is a great idea.  We are a family of 6 so that strategy might not work so well anymore.  It is tough enough living in a 2 bedroom, 2 bathroom house with all 4 kids in the same room.  But hopefully this is only temporary until we build out the attic and add the other 2 bedrooms and bathroom upstairs.  I'll keep people posted.

  • San Diego, CA · Member since 2017 · 18 posts · 7 votes
    9y

    Thank you for sharing all of this. This is exactly what I am trying to do just down the street in San Diego. I would love to connect to learn more about all the knowledge your CPA has shared with you and how I might be able to apply this to our house-hack. 

  • Studio City, CA · Member since 2017 · 33 posts · 8 votes
    9y

    Congrats, Shiloh! I'm an expert in the Burbank area and have a question -- is the guest house permitted as a guest house? Burbank is very strict on that and may give you a hard time on permitting the addition unless it is.  

  • Investor · Oak Park, MI · Member since 2014 · 299 posts · 47 votes
    9y

    Congratulations @Shiloh Lundahl, have you considered making it an airbnb? Depends on how nice you make the guest house (and it looks real nice!) it the gains could be SIGNIFICANT compared to regular monthly rents, if one of you has the time to book/vet people and cleaning then you're good to go, if you put the effort once you start getting the good reviews, your demand increases, you're able to increase prices and you're golden!

  • Shiloh LundahlPro Member
    OP
    Rental Property Investor · Gilbert, AZ · Member since 2016 · 3k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    9y

    @Judy Graff  it has been a guest house since the 1950s. So it was grandfathered in.

  • Investor · Austin, TX · Member since 2017 · 3 posts · 0 votes
    9y

    @Shiloh Lundahl, great house hack! Don't forget about rental property depreciation on the guest house for even more tax deductions.

  • Shiloh LundahlPro Member
    OP
    Rental Property Investor · Gilbert, AZ · Member since 2016 · 3k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    9y

    @Roy Gutierrez  airbnb is a great option. However, the city of Burbank has some hotel laws against it in Burbank and my wife wanted to know who the tenant would be since they would be sharing the backyard where my kids play. So she wanted to do a background check and vet them.

  • Studio City, CA · Member since 2017 · 33 posts · 8 votes
    9y

    I would still check permits.  There are lots of properties in Burbank where the owner thinks they are grandfathered, but at the bottom of the permits it says "not a legal rental."  I have run into this numerous times in Burbank.  Here's the good news: you can ask one of your folks in Burbank to just go to City Building and Safety and ask.  There is rarely a line and they will even (usually) make copies of all permits for you.

  • Shiloh LundahlPro Member
    OP
    Rental Property Investor · Gilbert, AZ · Member since 2016 · 3k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    9y

    @Michael Do  that's awesome! I will make sure that my CPA does that. 

  • Shiloh LundahlPro Member
    OP
    Rental Property Investor · Gilbert, AZ · Member since 2016 · 3k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    9y

    @Judy Graff  my wife checked on the permits. She has been back-and-forth to the city for permits for the property because we are adding an additional 800 ft.² to the attic. This property is really a live-in flip.  We plan to live in it for 2 to 3 years during which time we are going to add 800 ft.² to change it from a two bedroom two bath house that's just under 1400 ft.² to a four bedroom three bathroom house at 2100 ft.². 

  • Investor · Oak Park, MI · Member since 2014 · 299 posts · 47 votes
    9y

    I don't blame her @Shiloh Lundahl, having kids in the picture adds a different dynamic (although some families seem to be doing it successfully but I think I would be in your wife's camp even though it's a separate structure). 

  • Investor · CA · Member since 2017 · 1 post · 0 votes
    9y

    Hello,

    @Shiloh Lundahl Have you heard about ADU's Accessory Dwelling Units? You may be able to legalize your guest house.

    "The City Council approved a maximum accessory dwelling unit size of 500 square feet, requiring that the square footage of the unit be applied to the property’s floor-to-area ratio, mandating a 5-foot setback from the back and side for detached units, implementing a covenant that requires the owner of the property to live in either the main house or granny flat and establishing no short-term rentals that are 30 days or less."

    http://www.latimes.com/socal/burbank-leader/news/tn-blr-me-accessory-ordinance-20170427-story.htmlblr-me-accessory-ordinance-20170427-story.html

  • Shiloh LundahlPro Member
    OP
    Rental Property Investor · Gilbert, AZ · Member since 2016 · 3k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    9y

    @Sheng C. yes. My wife is in the process of switching it from a legal guesthouse to an ADU.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.