Divorced at 24, millionaire at 29.

Divorced at 24, millionaire at 29.

Investor · Dearborn, MI · Member since 2015 · 22 posts · 138 votes

Hello,

 I hope you find this post motivational and inspiring. At the young tender age of 16, my family set me up in an arrange marriage. Not knowing much about life, I agreed and did as my family wished. Still driven to make something of myself, I made sure to finish school. Although I was my only support system, I finished as a medical laboratory scientist. However, attaining my degree was not easy. Having dealt with, physical, emotional and verbal abuse I was driven to finish. Inferior to my degree, my ex of 8 years decided to leave. Knowledge is power as they say lol and in my case my knowledge cost me my marriage. I suffered from severe health issues and at my lowest point in my life I was left to start over and fend for myself. Proudly I had my familys support, but they can only do so much. So I decided to consume myself with my job as a scientist and forget. I worked 80-100 hours a week and decided on attending grad school. However, another road block In my life occurred. My mother fell ill and I decided to not pursue and stay back and take care of her. Taking care of her was its own form of blessing. By deciding to stay back and take care of her did I look into real estate investing. 

       A fellow coworker told me a little about it and it was than did I decide to pursue with one house. One has now turned to over a dozen and counting. I have a goal by the age of 30, next year to own 2 dozen and continue the building. Many may ask about funding? I fund all the houses myself. I continue to work 2 jobs, work 80-100 hours and live with my parents to help with finance and my mothers health issues. I was fortunate to pay off my undergrad in the stock market. I purchased ford stocks at 2.84 and sold at roughly 15. That helped pay off my undergrad allowing me to take all that I make at work  and throw back into real estate. On my days off which are minimal i'm house hunting, on my breaks at work I'm house hunting online and making my agent put offers at 2 or 3 in the morning. I'm obsessed with this new passion of mine. I have my father as the maintenance men on anything that goes wrong. Family does not work for free so of course I pay him and any other handy man I have. I have several handy man working now so he has cut back. I self manage all my properties, so yes, having a social life is minimal and that is okay.  I hope this post finds many of you motivated to continue to pursue your goals despite what life may throw at you. It takes COURAGE and SELF AWARNESS AND DISCIPLINE to see a goal not many which to carry and pursue. Best of luck to you all on your goals to achieving your dreams.  

117Reply
456 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Greenville, SC · Member since 2016 · 5k+ posts · 13k+ votes
9y

this is the kind of story that would make a great podcast

See this reply in the discussion

137 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Austin, TX · Member since 2017 · 54 posts · 11 votes
    9y

    Amazed.

  • Jerome MorelosPro Member
    Redlands, CA · Member since 2017 · 205 posts · 88 votes
    9y
    Thanks for the motivation!
  • Investor · Dearborn, MI · Member since 2015 · 22 posts · 138 votes
    9y

    Thank you for the comments guys!

  • Rental Property Investor · San Diego, CA · Member since 2008 · 89 posts · 65 votes
    9y

    Crazy inspirational story!  May blessings continue to come your way.  Money doesn't sleep and neither does Fatema!

  • Investor · Robinson, IL · Member since 2016 · 3 posts · 3 votes
    9y
    Hard work really does pay off
  • Investor · Dearborn, MI · Member since 2015 · 22 posts · 138 votes
    9y

    Aron LOL, thank you for the post and smile you put on my face! HAHa, God bless! Wishing you continued blessings as well!

  • Real Estate Agent · rutherford, NJ · Member since 2015 · 122 posts · 33 votes
    9y

    You go girl! You make us women proud ! 

  • Investor · Vancouver · Member since 2017 · 44 posts · 9 votes
    9y
    Wow congrats and thank you for sharing
  • Boston, MA · Member since 2012 · 100 posts · 54 votes
    9y
    Amazing story! Keep up the hard work!
  • Investor · Newark, DE · Member since 2012 · 81 posts · 45 votes
    9y

    Awesome story. Love the hustle and determination 

  • Keyport, NJ · Member since 2016 · 8 posts · 1 vote
    9y

    I sooo needed to read an inspirational story like this today. Just amazing. I think you're my new hero! lol I hope you continue killing it and get everything you want and deserve. 

  • Real Estate Investor · Brisbane, CA · Member since 2014 · 76 posts · 48 votes
    9y

    Such hard work. Well done. Sounds like you have been investing in good times (last five years) make sure you are well set for some down years as well. Don't want to lose all that hard work being over leveraged etc. Sounds like you are on top of things. Impressed.

  • Investor · Dearborn, MI · Member since 2015 · 22 posts · 138 votes
    9y

    Honored and humbled by all your kind comments. Thank you for the support! Good Luck to all on your future endavours!

  • Anthony GaydenPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Omaha, NE · Member since 2014 · 2k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    9y
    Fatema Sobh I like your story. The part so many people are unwilling to do is work hard, invest the extra money and live frugally while investing in your business.
  • Dana WhickerPro Member
    Investor · Fernandina Beach, FL · Member since 2014 · 557 posts · 374 votes
    9y
    So awesome. thank you and best wishes to you.
  • FL · Member since 2016 · 912 posts · 107 votes
    9y

    So you own SFH rentals?

    You must be talking about $1 million in equity.

  • Real Estate Agent · Merrick, NY · Member since 2016 · 6 posts · 5 votes
    9y

    Great story man! Keep up the great work. All the best to you

  • Investor · Greenville, SC · Member since 2016 · 5k+ posts · 13k+ votes
    9y

    this is the kind of story that would make a great podcast

  • Investor · Great Neck, NY · Member since 2016 · 679 posts · 467 votes
    9y

    @Fay S.

    I echo what many have said here.  You are a great inspiration! Remember to stay focused, humbled, and hungry!

    One thing I want to add though is that going at it completely on your own and running yourself down with no time to yourself can burn you out.  Partnering with someone or investing in bigger deals can help spur growth, give you higher returns on your investment, and allow you some time to yourself.  

    I wish you nothing but the best and hope your Mom gets better!

  • Investor · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2015 · 366 posts · 283 votes
    9y
    Fatema Sobh thanks for sharing - I love your story! I think I saw you a couple of years ago on periscope sharing your real estate wisdom ;) glad to hear that you've continued to find deals. I also invest in the Detroit suburbs and would be curious if you could share your avg target price point, rent amount, and financing methods? Are you doing BRRRR or another approach?
  • Orlando, FL · Member since 2017 · 147 posts · 92 votes
    9y
    I would love to hear you on a podcast too, Fatema! What an incredible and inspiring story.
  • Investor · Dearborn, MI · Member since 2015 · 22 posts · 138 votes
    9y

    Thank you all for the great support. I appreciate it! I'm new to bigger pockets and learning slowly. I would like to dedicate more time in the future. I'm just a little overwhelmed with a few projects going on and my two jobs. 

    Erika, i was periscoping a few years back lol, great memory. I buy all over the michigan area. I don't specialize in any particular area. Where ever there is a deal i attack! I don't buy and flip, rather buy and hold for passive income. Each rental is between 950-1300 dollars. I was fortunate to pick up most cash at a low deal. Networking is key. I would like to continue this for one more year and eventually venture off into commercial. 

    Again, thank you all for the kind words. God bless! 

  • Rental Property Investor · Wyckoff, NJ · Member since 2015 · 8 posts · 5 votes
    9y

    Great story, Fatema! Mass media says the American Dream has died years ago, but I believe as long as we believe it we can achieve it. I am still a newbie, just owning 2 rental properties and am super broke right now but will continue my journey. Thanks!!!

  • Investor · New York City Metro area, NY · Member since 2013 · 39 posts · 12 votes
    9y

    Great story!

  • Dulce BeltranPro Member
    Real Estate Agent · San Diego, CA · Member since 2017 · 99 posts · 52 votes
    8y
    Amazing! Keep trucking along, putting your head down and working. I’ve found I’ve lost a lot of friendships because of my obsession yet built new friendships that support my obsession. The best part is you’re still young! I wish I discovered BP after purchasing my 1st investment property at 24, I would have been “retired” now. Great job!!
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.