A Call for Inspiration: Share Your Overall Success

A Call for Inspiration: Share Your Overall Success

Huntsville, AL · Member since 2017 · 44 posts · 31 votes

Hi BP. I find that the success of others inspires me and sheds light on what's possible. I have my why for wanting to create wealth... giving, family, travel, etc. and I assume others have their why as well.

I would like for people to share their overall success stories. What I mean by that is, if you're comfortable with it, share a broad range of your yearly income (whatever range you're comfortable sharing). Share that you're able to take a one week vacation once a month or four times a year or whatever it might be. Share that you were able to quit your 9 to 5, buy a lake house, whatever it may be. Inspire us with your success.

At times I have a hard time picturing the financial freedom. For example, if you own 10 SFHs cash flowing $200 a month, that's $2,000 a month which is $24,000 a year. That's cool. It's income, but it doesn't seem like travel the world, quit the rat race, financial freedom. Then there's the aspect of cashing out via refi and using that money to get your next property. I get re-investing profit to grow the business and getting that next property, but when do you cash out and pay for that vacation or pay yourself? Speaking of paying yourself, if you have LLCs that hold properties, how do you pay yourself through company? Dividends? Salary? Bonuses?

I hope there are examples shared that might help newbies and others get an idea of what's possible. I personally feel blessed with my job and am not looking to quit, at this point I'm looking to supplement, but I like exploring the possibilities of REI. Who knows, maybe someday the supplemental outweighs the primary.

4Reply
106 views

Most Popular Reply

Dr · Danville, VA - Virginia · Member since 2016 · 42 posts · 56 votes
8y

Hit 50 yrs old a few years back and did a "review of the first 50".  Realized I wanted to make a bigger impact on society than I was currently accomplishing and simultaneously leave a legacy for my kids and grandkids. Looked around for ways to accomplish my goals faster and settled on MF Investing. Decided I wanted to build a real estate company to become the "Tom's Shoes" of commercial real estate. Since that time I have not looked back.  Just closed on a 125 unit townhome deal in Lexington, KY 4 weeks ago. Here is my "Big Why"...

From a young age, my faith was a huge part of my life. As a teenager in the border town of El Paso, Texas, I went on more than one mission trip into Mexico to work with kids in orphanages. I was greatly affected by what I saw. I also spent summers working with my uncle at a large church camp he ran in the mountains of New Mexico. You could say that service was part of my life from an early age. The year was 1997. My wife, two kids, and I had a great life by most standards. We had a successful practice, a nice home, and were active in our local church. But we wanted more. We considered adopting a child, then after lots of soul-searching and prayer, we decided to pursue the idea.

Through an amazing set of circumstances, we were made aware of a family of 7 orphans that the Russian government was going to separate. They planned to send them to three different countries, never to see each other again. While we knew that we could never adopt that many kids ourselves, we had a desire to help find a home for them. As we looked at the pictures of the seven kids, my wife felt called to take on the task of finding a family that would keep the kids together. As we set out on our mission, we targeted all our well-to-do friends, as we knew it would take someone with a very good income to support a crew like that. I can remember laughing to myself and thinking, who would be crazy enough and have a large enough home to adopt seven kids? As the months went by, we had no luck finding a family and time was running out. The Russian government was close to separating the kids and sending them abroad. With no apparent takers in sight, and the split-up of the siblings imminent, the idea of adopting them ourselves crept in. We knew there would be major financial sacrifices and challenges, but the thought of someone separating our two biological children (like these kids were about to experience) was more than enough motivation for us. Having a Savior who loved us enough to die for our sins, when we had done nothing to deserve his love, compelled us to do more than just join a $35 a month orphan-support program (those are great though and we support one too).

On August 12, 1999, we arrived back on U.S. soil having just completed the single largest adoption at one time in U.S./Russian history (at least that’s what the embassy told us). We arrived at the Raleigh-Durham airport with three boys (ages 14, 6 & 6) and four girls (ages 13, 9, 7, & 5) who spoke a total of 12 words of English amongst them. We had no idea of the great blessings and struggles that lay ahead. As we raised our crew of nine young adults, we learned of the challenges that many Eastern European orphaned children face. We saw the first-hand effects of rampant alcohol abuse that plagues Russian society, as well as Fetal Alcohol Syndrome, Reactive Attachment Disorder, and learning disabilities in our kids. We saw the psychological damage caused by their family being fractured at an early age and continue to see them struggle even today. Little did we know how this would open our hearts to the plight of orphans and human trafficking victims worldwide.

The most disadvantaged in our societies, the ones who can’t fight for themselves, often live in the shadows. Their great needs go unmet and their stories are seldom told. These kids and young adults need someone to fight for them. They need champions to take up their cause and go to battle, fighting poverty, fighting the sex industry, and most importantly fighting to save their lives. I met one of my Wellings Capital partners, Paul, on a business mission trip to New Zealand. He was an entrepreneur much like me and we immediately hit it off. I admired Paul because he had a desire to help the needy and spread God’s love. We continued to spend many years brainstorming on business ventures that would help investors, while spinning off lots of income we could use to help fund our humanitarian efforts. It is our goal to be the Tom’s Shoes, or Mercy Waters, of the multifamily world. We hope to produce substantial returns for the investors we partner with and create great communities for our tenants to live in. Our desire is to generate profits from which to funnel hundreds of thousands, if not millions of dollars, into the education, care, and protection of children and young adults worldwide, to fighting human trafficking and the care of orphans worldwide. We believe we can leave a legacy that our children and grandchildren will be proud of and MF investing will make it possible!

Cheers!

See this reply in the discussion

45 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Huntsville, AL · Member since 2017 · 44 posts · 31 votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Mike Dymski:

    You may have a property that is generating 8-12% cash on cash returns, appreciating 3% per year, and the mortgage principal is coming down each month to achieve an IRR of 15-20%. Real estate investing is too much work to only get $200 per door in total profit.

    Also, think in terms of profit per property rather than per door.  Some investors would rather have one 30 unit property making $150 per unit than a 4-plex making $300 per unit.

    The 2nd paragraph is the more interesting (and profitable) one.

    I'll share my numbers when I reach financial independence.  In the meantime, rental income is helping to cover tuition for three kids currently in college.

     College isn’t cheap! Much thanks for your input Mike. Cheers.

  • Gino BarbaroPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · St Augustine, FL · Member since 2014 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    8y

    @Michael B.

    Hi Michael,

    we bought a 64 unit foreclosure in December for $1.3 million cash.  We are going to refinance with our local bank and cash out $1.2 million, with only 100,000 left in the deal.

    Once the deal is stabilized, the property will be worth well over $2 million, and we will rei with Freddie.

    The possibility is endless if you can "Buy Right, Manage Right & Finance Right".

    Just focus on what you want to get from real estate. I wanted to get financial freedom and the ability to have my lifestyle fund my business.

    Gino

  • Sandy, UT · Member since 2017 · 22 posts · 21 votes
    8y

    @Michael B. thanks for starting this thread!  I'm always curious to see where others are and how they've done it- I love listening to the BP podcasts for that reason!  I've personally just gotten into the investing game- we have a rental in Harrisburg, PA that I'd like to sell this year so we can focus on flips and rental properties closer to home.  We flipped our last house while living in it (before babies!), and were planning on flipping our current house but we've realized that we could almost fully cover our mortgage by AirBNBing our basement (we live near 4 popular ski resorts), so we're building a mother-in-law down there.  Realizing that many of our neighbors do this was a huge "aha!" moment for us.  I plan on leveraging the equity we have in our house to purchase our next property.

    May I just recommend @Brian Robbins for a spot on the BP podcast?? (where you at @Joshua D. and @Brandon Turner ??)  His "why" resonates so so so much for me.  Sure, I want more freedom and the ability to travel, but I want to be able to give back more than we do currently and I have literal tears reading this Brian!  What an incredible gift you've given all your children! True religion is caring for orphans and widows.

  • Huntsville, AL · Member since 2017 · 44 posts · 31 votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Christine Z.:

    @Michael B. thanks for starting this thread!  I'm always curious to see where others are and how they've done it- I love listening to the BP podcasts for that reason!  I've personally just gotten into the investing game- we have a rental in Harrisburg, PA that I'd like to sell this year so we can focus on flips and rental properties closer to home.  We flipped our last house while living in it (before babies!), and were planning on flipping our current house but we've realized that we could almost fully cover our mortgage by AirBNBing our basement (we live near 4 popular ski resorts), so we're building a mother-in-law down there.  Realizing that many of our neighbors do this was a huge "aha!" moment for us.  I plan on leveraging the equity we have in our house to purchase our next property.

    May I just recommend @Brian Robbins for a spot on the BP podcast?? (where you at @Joshua D. and @Brandon Turner ??)  His "why" resonates so so so much for me.  Sure, I want more freedom and the ability to travel, but I want to be able to give back more than we do currently and I have literal tears reading this Brian!  What an incredible gift you've given all your children! True religion is caring for orphans and widows.

    Hey Christine! AirBnB sounds like an interesting idea for your basement! And great point recommending Brian for the BP podcast! Such a cool story that resonates with me as well. Giving is one of my top whys along with some other similarities that Brian mentioned.

  • Dr · Danville, VA - Virginia · Member since 2016 · 42 posts · 56 votes
    8y

    @Michael B. Thank you for starting this thread! @Francisco Cimon @Matt Hoyt @Christine Z @Michael B. thanks for the kind comments. I Love to hear success stories as they always inspire me to greater things...there is always someone else out there who has done more than I have. I did not really understand the power of Real Estate until recently and it provides options that most other asset classes dont.  Mike Dymski is correct. We like to use the acronym CAPT (which is better than CAT-P) :) when talking with our investors about real estate returns. Cash on Cash return, Appreciation, Principle pay down, and tax benefits.  You do have to be careful in this overheated MF market, that the market and submarket you choose is really going to give you the appreciation that you are hoping for. I would suggest a review of some of the many sources available prior to investing in a market to look at the historical appreciation for that specific market. Some tertiary markets have very very slow appreciation and your price point may be your best chance to insure appreciation.   Dont overlook the powerful tax advantages that real estate offers as well. With MF assets using cost segregation studies and an accelerated depreciation schedule should allow for almost completely tax free profits for the first 7-8 years. Many of the big players will then use a 1031 exchange to transfer into a completely new property with little to no tax consequences and start the tax clock all over again. Try that with stocks.  Congrats to all you guys who are on FIRE (financially independent retired early)...that's certainly one of my goals. 

  • Investor · Glendale, AZ · Member since 2014 · 2 posts · 6 votes
    8y

    @Michael B. This is what I was doing before ...

    Real Example:

    Paid $117k (I paid cash)

    ARV $175k

    Rehab $20k

    Refinance - I did cash out refi.  I had to put 35% down.  Since refi was done within 6 months, bank would only go off of what I paid for the property or Appraised value, whichever is lower.  Well, what I paid was lower obviously so I got loan for $76,050 ($117k - $40,950 (35%)).

    Summary, I was out of pocket approx $60,950 for this rental.

    This is what I'm doing now...

    Real Example:

    Paid $120k (I paid cash)

    ARV $235k

    Rehab $50k

    Refinance - This time I waited the 6 months and was able to use the appraised value.  My projection was that it would appraise for $235k so... $235k - $58,750 (25% Down needed) = $176,250 Loan Amount.  I had $50k in rehab and with the refinance costs, I was out of pocket a total of around $174k so I ended up getting back about couple thousand more than I had into the deal.

    Summary - Basically I was able to acquire the rental property with zero money left in the deal, $58,750 in equity, and cash flowing about $578 mo.  Not too shabby! 

    You can only buy so many rentals when you're out of pocket $50-60k per property.  Doing it the right way, you can acquire rentals with little to no money in the deal!  You just have to make sure that you buy the property well below market value and have the loan amount be equal to what you have into the deal.

    There is a way to refinance quicker than the 6 months time frame.  I figured out a way to do this and have done it successfully on the last rental I rehabbed.  To do this, you need to borrow 100% of the purchase and 100% of the rehab.  Now you are just doing a rate and term refinance.  You can do refi based on that amount vs only using the purchase price.  Now the trick is to find someone who will borrow you 100% of purchase price and 100% of rehab:)

  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    8y

    whatever road in real estate you take be it SFR's multi commercial.. NOTES development rehab building ground up etc etc .. find our niche and go for it...

    Landlording is the simplest to understand and get into no question about it.. and the BRRR done right is the way to scale as quick as possible...

    this is a relationship business as well.. work as hard on your contacts and credit facilities as anything..

    then enjoy.. although I don't subscribe to the financial freedom mantra nothing was free building your portfolio and when you own a substantial portfolio you need to stay on point to keep it chugging along especially those with 30 to 50 SFR's that they own and self manage.. its just a job that includes working for yourself.. But its still work you still have to deal with tenants turn overs ... other things like that..

    the most passive I see with folks that have some serious liquidity already IE been high w2 folks is notes.. those can be truly passive done right..

    for the big hits  land development in path of progress is killer but risk/reward is the mantra there.

    2018 for us should be a nice year  probably close to 30 million in new home sales a few larger tracts bought and either flipped to lennar or Horton 150 to 200 lot tracks.. and our note business is in full maturity.. and it only took me 40 years to do all this... so all you youngsters out there have some patience.. 10 to 20k is nice but its not retirement when you start really living the investor life.. at least for me.

  • Investor · Malakoff, TX · Member since 2017 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Kyle Keller:

    @Michael B. This is what I was doing before ...

    There is a way to refinance quicker than the 6 months time frame.  I figured out a way to do this and have done it successfully on the last rental I rehabbed.  To do this, you need to borrow 100% of the purchase and 100% of the rehab.  Now you are just doing a rate and term refinance.  You can do refi based on that amount vs only using the purchase price.  Now the trick is to find someone who will borrow you 100% of purchase price and 100% of rehab:)

     Some local lenders dn't require the 6 month seasoning period and will refi immediately.

  • Investor · Malakoff, TX · Member since 2017 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    8y

    Back in the 80s a college friend got me interested in RE investing.  We went to one of the early RE investing seminars and it caught my interest.  Took a RE Agent course for college credit but didn't end up pursuing anything in RE until 2010.  In 2009 I was hoping to finally get into house flipping....but with the RE crash I opted to house hack a triplex and lived in it for free for 5 years. During that time I also purchased 3 properties at tax auctions and learned a bit about what to do and not do when flipping (and also purchasing at tax sales). I still own the triplex but pay a PM to take care of it.  To improve my W2 income I moved from TX to MA, where I knew I would not be interested in purchasing any RE, so I bided my time for 3 years until I had another great W2 job opportunity back in TX.

    Since moving back to TX 6 months ago my wife and I purchased our primary residence and 4 investment properties. Two have been flips (one has already sold and we just signed a contract to sell the second) and the 2 others we are in the process of brrr'ing. We have saved up a good bit of seed capital/reserves, and with a good local lender we are ready to start purchasing brrr rentals as fast as we are able to get them rehabbed and rented. My (challenging) goal is to purchase around 1 of these per month (mostly SFH) going forward.

    My 'why' is to make my W2 job optional, and also to create some financial stability for my kids' futures.  I find it inspiring to read what others have done. Reading of those who have scaled up to >100 units gives me something to shoot for. Thanks for the inspirational stories everyone!

  • Investor · Malakoff, TX · Member since 2017 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    8y

     Maybe it will be time to upgrade that airplane!  ; )

  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    8y

    @Eric James  actually going the other way probably retire from flying myself around started in late 70s  have not dented anything .. only scared the be jesus out of myself a hand full of times.. there is a reason pilots have to retire at 60 to 65... its a young mans game.

    also all these new on demand jet ride shares are looking pretty cool.. once I decide what and where I am going I do have the jet smarter app and when I get to Vegas I may start using that.. its pretty economical really. if you use it once a month its no more expensive than what I do now which is buy a first class ticket.. 

  • Investor · Malakoff, TX · Member since 2017 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Jay Hinrichs:

    @Eric James  actually going the other way probably retire from flying myself around started in late 70s  have not dented anything .. only scared the be jesus out of myself a hand full of times.. there is a reason pilots have to retire at 60 to 65... its a young mans game.

     I've heard there are old pilots, and there bold pilots, but there are no old, bold pilots. I grew up riding in my grandfather's Piper Cub and would enjoy getting my pilot's license, but I've known several people who have died in their small airplanes.  With 3 small children I'll have to pass.  Enjoy the jet smarter app!

  • Rental Property Investor · Manteno, IL · Member since 2009 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    8y

    @Michael B.

    I have the simpleton success story for sure.
    Did a flip of my sister's neighbor's house back in 06 during the boom. I found out about the deal at a 4th of july party I was having at my house.

    Then I put up the financing for a new construction build with my brother in law. He was doing one at a time because thats all the bank would finance. Unfortunately, he took forever and a day (over a year) to finish it and the market had crashed by the time it was done. That became my first rental.

    I had zero intention of becoming a landlord before then. But the more the market went down, the more the rental numbers looked better to me.

    I then set a goal of doing 1 house a year for 10 years. 10 houses making $200/mo was as pie in the sky for someone with my background as it gets. I knew nothing about construction. To this day, I can't even change a doorknob, replace a faucet, or install a stick of flooring. :-)

    I got my second house as my first true rental investment. Had a problem getting my money back out because lenders wanted nothing to do with cash out refi's during the crash.  And thats when I turned to hard money.

    I found a HML that would do 100% of the purchase and 100% of the rehab and would even roll in the points and fees into the loan up to 65% LTV. It made finding deals that could hit that number really tough - even during the boost - but it was still doable.

    And once I completed that next one, it really started to take the mystery out of investing and, with that financing, it really had me hooked to where I bumped my goal to 3 a year. 

    I hit that goal like clockwork for 6 years running. It wasn't as easy as you'd think given my HML would only do 2 loans at a time and finding any bank on the planet that would do the refi's back was almost impossible. There were times when I was putting in offers on homes where I didn't even have a financing "spot" to use to buy it.

    There was one house where I closed on the refi and the very next day I closed on the purchase. Had the refi taken one day longer, I would have had to walk on the purchase. And there were a couple of deals where I forfeited my EM because of that very thing. Refi's would fall through all the time.....

    Then in the beginning of year 7, the financing really opened up. I found two new hard money lenders that would do 100% which gave me more financing spots. And the local banks started opening up again to doing the refi's. I think it helped that about a year or so before buffett came out and said that if he could invest in anything with his own money right now, it would be SFH's. And like the sheep that they are, the banks all of a sudden seemed to realize these loans were actually good again.

    But for me, I was able to pick up 7 homes that year. And then I went on a run over the next 3 years of adding just over a house a month. One year I think I hit 17 homes in a year. 2016 ended with a flurry of 6 houses in 4 months. And then the market really hit a wall for me and the areas I work. 

    In 2017, I didn't get a single deal until September. but I was still able to pick up 5 houses over the last 4 months of 2017. And I got one already in December.

    All told, I now own 68 rental properties with one more under contract.

    In order to help fund my growth, I've had to cash out a 50k+ 401k one year (yea, thats how little I had saved over the years which is why real estate was huge), I did a blanket loan and pulled out 100k. And I did another 3 or 4 cash out refi's on some of my better equity homes.

    All in all though, I own about 10.5 million in real estate. I owe 7 million on that real estate.
    I net about 11k per month on the rentals. And I have close to 14k a month in principal paydown.

    So even if I were to just be breaking even on my monthly rental income. And even if the houses had zero appreciation - I'd still making just under 170k/year in principal paydown. 

    10 years - 70 houses. All started with a 43k heloc. No flips once I started buy and hold. Cashing out 50k+ 401k. A couple of significant cash out refi's. 

    That is my simpleton path to building some real wealth via real estate. 

    I was always one to put everything back into the business. But real estate was a life changer in that I used 30k to adopt my daughter and spent 7 weeks in the Ukraine to do it. Could have never come up with that much cash and time off work had I not owned those houses. Took some decent vacations but nothing spectacular. 

    To me, its about having that sense of security that if I lose my job now, I won't lose my house. That was always the driving force in why I wanted to grow so fast.  

    But the reality of it is that I did what I did because I loved it. I compare it to treasure hunting. Every house I picked up was like finding money on the street. How could I not want to pick up a 150k house for 100k including purchase and rehab? And add another 150 to 175/mo in income doing it?

    There were times where I literally felt like I was stealing. :-)

    And I still pinch myself every now and then when i think someone like me owns 68 houses. A 43k heloc and no clue what it took/cost to fix anything in a house let alone what it would take to be a landlord.  But apparently that was enough.......

  • Huntsville, AL · Member since 2017 · 44 posts · 31 votes
    8y

    @Mike H. Fantastic story. That's the kind of thing I want to see. Thanks for sharing.

    Could you expand on the principal pay down and how that relates to your monthly income? You mentioned netting about 11k per month in rentals. If I understand correctly  you're stating if you took away that 11k a month in rentals, you'restill making just under 170k a year. How does that work?

    Also, do you use property management.

    Again, thanks for the story. I hope people realize that it's about bragging, so don't feel hesitant about posting. For me at least, it's about showing us what is possible.

  • Rental Property Investor · Manteno, IL · Member since 2009 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    8y

    @Michael B.

    Sure. So if I was getting zero rental income from the rentals AND if the rentals weren't appreciating one penny, I am still gaining 170k in equity every year - with Principal paydown.

    Principal paydown is the amount of the loan that is getting paid down.

    So if I have a 150k house with a loan at 100k. And if the loan is amortized over 20 years with a 5% interest rate, I'd be paying down the principal of the loan roughly $250/mo or something close to that for the first few years of the loan.  And the best part is that the deeper you get into the loan, the more of your payment gets applied toward the principal. So principal paydown will increase over time as well.

    In year 1 of the loan above (which is a typical loan for me these days), you're paying down about 3k/year on the loan. In year 15, your principal paydown will be just over 6k/year.  It adds up when you're talking 80 houses.

    And that is one of the values of scaling a portfolio. Those little chunks of income that buy and hold rentals generate (rental income of 150 to 200/mo, principal paydown, appreciation) really starts to produce some impressive numbers at some point to where you can't help but see how much wealth this thing can actually generate.

  • Investor · Wilmington, NC · Member since 2016 · 211 posts · 262 votes
    8y

    I'll post my simpleton "first step towards success" story. 

    In 2015 I bought a rental for 135k, took about 28k in traditional down payment along with fees.  My mortgage is $670 and rent is $1300, so a spread of +$630 every month.  I have a home warranty for $500 a year so no problem is over $75.  When the hot water heater failed, it costs me a grand total of $75 to have it replaced.  More than makes up for the yearly home warranty cost.  I bought the property with a new roof, new flooring, and new appliances, vastly reducing my upkeep. 

    At the time of purchase I was finishing up my undergrad, and I'm currently 4 months away from becoming a PA, with an expected annual salary of 90-100k. The rental income since I bought the property has allowed me to stay out of debt while in school so add that to whatever ROI and COC formula you have.

    Wifey and I have a plan for once we switch from a one income to a two income household, with a big part of that plan being to purchase more rentals.  I'm not really looking to flip, I'm not into hard money, I'm more slow and steady.  I still invest in a Roth and in some mutual funds.

    One of the things that motivates me is when a 40 hour a week blue collar worker dies, their income stops and their kids are left with a usual small inheritance and that's it.  If I'm able to continue to purchase income producing real estate, my kids can enjoy income in the future.  Not everyone's cup of tea, but I like the taste.

  • Multifamily Syndicator · Houston, TX · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    8y

    @Michael B. Thanks for starting! Such a good read Michael.

    My wife and I moved from the London, UK to America almost 4 years ago, we started house-hacking in 2016 and saw that our accounts just kept growing💰💰💰😃. 

    Though our main business,  Dwellynn, is apartment syndication, we flip properties in Class A/B areas in Baltimore. Take a look at our current project for those interested.  

    WHY: 

    • FREEDOM | To able to spend more time with my wife and baby girl
    • COMMUNITY | Dwellynn's  1HousePledge [Giving 1 house back to the community every year]
    • HELPING OTHERS | Guiding those we are willing and able to work hard to achieve their dreams 
    • GIVING | There is enough hate in the world, so helping to build God's kingdom here on earth and spreading his gospel of love and hope are huge motivators for me. 

    To conclude, the immediate goal is to hit 500 Units by 2020, with each door cash flowing at least $100 on average.

    Goodluck to everyone on this journey, which we have to remember to enjoy every second of it and seed encouragement to others whenever we can. Thanks! - Ola 

  • Shawnee Mission, KS · Member since 2016 · 716 posts · 313 votes
    8y

    I paid cash for 2 A type HUD SFH after 2008 crash making 2k a month on that.

    I just bought from 1 business partner big fish number 2 several months back rental number 3, a SFH A type home for 165K, appraised value is 185k. I put 20% down on a 30 year note I am in the black in a big way. Positive cash flow 200 a month still not getting full rent value yet.

    I am going to buy another from big fish 1 larger SFH, A type looks to be out 6 to 12 months.

    My other partner big fish number 2, I manage the rehab and PM all the deals I find for Big Fish 2.

    We paid cash for 2 SFH A type homes, working on paying cash for SFH, A type number 3 should close Tuesday.

    He plans to pay cash for 13 SFH, I will be the man person in that process.

  • Huntsville, AL · Member since 2017 · 44 posts · 31 votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Ola Dantis:

    @Michael B. Thanks for starting! Such a good read Michael.

    My wife and I moved from the London, UK to America almost 4 years ago, we started house-hacking in 2016 and saw that our accounts just kept growing💰💰💰😃. 

    Though our main business,  Dwellynn, is apartment syndication, we flip properties in Class A/B areas in Baltimore. Take a look at our current project for those interested.  

    WHY: 

    • FREEDOM | To able to spend more time with my wife and baby girl
    • COMMUNITY | Dwellynn's  1HousePledge [Giving 1 house back to the community every year]
    • HELPING OTHERS | Guiding those we are willing and able to work hard to achieve their dreams 
    • GIVING | There is enough hate in the world, so helping to build God's kingdom here on earth and spreading his gospel of love and hope are huge motivators for me. 

    To conclude, the immediate goal is to hit 500 Units by 2020, with each door cash flowing at least $100 on average.

    Goodluck to everyone on this journey, which we have to remember to enjoy every second of it and seed encouragement to others whenever we can. Thanks! - Ola 

    Ola! Lots of yes to this. Thanks so much for sharing. I want to know more about the 1 House Pledge and I am all the way down with your desire to build God's kingdom, spreading his gospel of love and hope! I'll send you a message.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.