First deal done! First rent check in the bank!

First deal done! First rent check in the bank!

Rental Property Investor · MI (michigan) · Member since 2016 · 65 posts · 117 votes

Finally got my first deal done!!! It was a hell of an experience, but I wanted to receive my first rent check before I posted my success story.

Quick background on myself: I am 25, finance degree, work full-time, aspiring to be financially free, father owns a house building company in Houston, TX (moved out of Michigan after the housing crash)

I picked up this SFR property in Westland, MI. It's west of Detroit in the Metro-Detroit area. I bought the place for $76,500. 3 bedroom, 1 bathroom, about 1,000 square feet, 1.5 car garage. It was the least taken care of property on the street.

Updated the kitchen and bathroom. All new paint, installed vinyl plank flooring, updated electrical, new fixtures, misc small things.

I went the conventional mortgage route and put 20% down on the property. I spent about $20,000 in repairs and now have it rented out for $1,175 per month.

When I say it was a hell of an experience that is because I ran into a lot of issues along the way. Finding and house and purchasing was not the issue, but the rehab portion of it did not go as expected... It's a very long story, but I had issues with my first contractor and painter. I knew not to pay them a large portion up front so I luckily did not lose any money because of them.

Things I learned:

  • Process of purchasing a house
  • Process of rehabbing a house
  • Rehab costs
  • The tough process of firing people
  • Additional items to look at when doing a walk through (dead tree that needed to be removed, gutter work)

Advice I can give:

  • Don't be cheap. Sometimes saving as much money as you can, is not actually a good thing. My discount contractor and painter turned out to be a nightmare. 
  • It's OK to make mistakes! I am chalking up my overspending and mistakes to part of the learning process.
  • Use your resources. My father used to build houses in Michigan. He gave me phone numbers of some guys to speak to, but I thought they were too expensive for what I was trying to do. Hindsight is always 20/20 lol..
  • Talk to the neighbors!!! I learned that there was fire started by a mishap with a grow operation someone was running out of the garage lol. This lead me to understanding why the garage looked basically brand new.
  • Dive in! I learned more in a couple of months after "diving in" than I did in the time I had spent researching and reading about how to invest in real estate.

This was a major learning experience for me, but after receiving that first rent check it was all worth it. Knowing that I will be mostly hands off (using a property management company) is an awesome feeling!! I am now reevaluating my investment strategy and am in search of another property to buy!

Before and after pics:

67Reply
365 views

Most Popular Reply

Property Manager · Metro Detroit, MI · Member since 2008 · 305 posts · 362 votes
8y
Awesome job Denny ! Glad I could be a part of it.
See this reply in the discussion

121 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Hudson, OH · Member since 2017 · 3 posts · 0 votes
    8y

    Love hearing the first-time stories. Very inspiring! Thanks for sharing!

  • Investor · Houston, TX · Member since 2017 · 34 posts · 3 votes
    8y

    Nice Job Dennis !!!!

  • New to Real Estate · Cleveland, OH · Member since 2017 · 47 posts · 15 votes
    8y

    Firstly, congrats on your first deal!  I'm 21 now and am looking to find my first house hack property.  I was wondering about the numbers you used to make sure the deal would work... for example, how much did you budget per month for the mortgage, taxes, the management company, etc.?  Also, how much are you cash flowing per month after paying all your expenses?

    Thank you for your time and good luck with your next property!

  • Southern, MD · Member since 2017 · 16 posts · 6 votes
    8y

    Well done, thanks for sharing! And I think Keith Jourdan had his BRRRR thread featured recently, so he looks like a good guy to be working with.

  • ashdod, israel · Member since 2018 · 1 post · 0 votes
    8y

    congrats !!! i m looking to do the same in jacksonville but i m so confused.. not easy to jump into this business

  • Fort Washington, MD · Member since 2015 · 4 posts · 1 vote
    8y

    Great story!!! You are doing my exact plan. Buy and hold. You keep up the good work and looking forward to hear more from you!

  • Rental Property Investor · MI (michigan) · Member since 2016 · 65 posts · 117 votes
    8y

    I appreciate it, @Garrett F Anderson!

    The mortgage cost can be used by a simple calculator found on Google or a lot of other websites.

    Tax rates can be found on your state's website most likely. I found mine on the MI Dept. of Treasury website. be sure to use non-homestead taxes as this is a rental property!

    Instead of budgeting a number, I used percentages for my expenses, management, capex, and vacancy. This will all be based off of what you are receiving for rent. These percentages will be determined by a number of factors. Do a little bit of research to find out what percentages make sense for your situation.

    Plug all of these numbers into a spreadsheet, BP calculator, etc. and find out what your cashflow will be. My current Net Cashflow is $224.55. This can go up or down in the future based on the changes in the various factors that go into determining cashflow. That's why it's important to find a number that you think will be enough cushion to protect you from the fluctuations.

  • Rental Property Investor · MI (michigan) · Member since 2016 · 65 posts · 117 votes
    8y

    Keep researching @Nathalie Ohayon! It can be intimidating, but it's actually not as bad as newbies make it out to be. With a little due diligence and action, you can make it happen!

  • Rental Property Investor · Glen Cove, NY · Member since 2016 · 109 posts · 25 votes
    8y

    Congratulations! Very inspiring. Need to get out and get  me my first deal!

  • Specialist · Renton, WA · Member since 2017 · 9 posts · 3 votes
    8y

    Congrats!

  • Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2018 · 4 posts · 0 votes
    8y

    Congrats! This is inspiring to see for me as a new REI. Real stories success or not, it gives me a real feel of what to expect.

  • Chicago, IL · Member since 2017 · 4 posts · 0 votes
    8y

    Congrats Denis!

  • Petawawa, Ontario · Member since 2017 · 6 posts · 0 votes
    8y

    Congrats on the first deal! I am currently in the process of my first deal, I close on it next month. Can't wait to take that first cheque to the bank! 

  • Real Estate Agent · Colorado Springs, CO · Member since 2016 · 7 posts · 11 votes
    8y

    Great job Denis. Thank you for sharing your strengths and weaknesses - very honest review of your first investment property. I appreciate you detailing the negotiation with the property management company as well and took note of those strategies. Very encouraging. 

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Jacksonville, FL · Member since 2012 · 31 posts · 10 votes
    8y

    Good job!  The first deal is always the most nerve-racking.  The learning never ends though, even after you do 20 deals, something new to learn is always around the corner!  Also, I think it's great that your first deal is producing cashflow for you.  In my opinion it is the best way to build long term wealth.  Many people like to start with wholesaling or flipping (thanks HGTV).  Best of wishes in all of your future endeavors! :)

  • Mike T.Pro Member
    Vendor · Ypsilanti, MI · Member since 2017 · 10 posts · 2 votes
    8y

    @Denny R. All great stuff on your first one. I am full-time licensed/insured contractor myself based here in southeast-MI that takes great pride in my reputation and the work I do. Something that unfortunately seems to be more and more rare in this area. Like in all matters of compliance, I know the state is trying to crack down on a lot of the bad apples in the building industry, especially those long-time holders that did not have a strenous requirements when becoming licensed. But as the common cliche goes, more times than not you will get what you pay for! Anyhow, ping me back when you have some availability. I love to connect and chop it over real estate investing here in southeast-MI (or contracting for that matter).

    P.S. My father also owned a residential building company in MI for many years until the '08 crash put him out. He initially relocated to Colorado and is now based in NC, with no plans to return back either. Regardless, the tremendous "brain drain" this state experiences must cease at some point and that can start with us! Cheers and take care. 

  • St. Louis, MO · Member since 2018 · 1 post · 0 votes
    8y
    Nice work! I’m looking at making an offer soon on a multi family. Hopefully it’s a smooth process.
  • Rental Property Investor · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2017 · 23 posts · 7 votes
    8y

    @Denny R. Congrats on your first investment property. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Largo, FL · Member since 2019 · 8 posts · 6 votes
    6y

    Great job on your first deal! It is inspiring for us newbie's who are looking for our first deal.  Thanks for sharing!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.