First Quadplex - Newport, DE

First Quadplex - Newport, DE

Flipper/Rehabber · Wilmington, DE · Member since 2016 · 80 posts · 75 votes

Last November, a partner and I purchased a quadplex in Newport, DE for 40k after negotiating directly with the owner who was way in over his head trying to rehab by himself (much more to that story...). 

This was a complete gut job of 4500 sf. There are two 3/1 units, one 2/1 unit and one 1/1 unit. It was a very big job, but my partner's construction company has done all the work and we are 90% complete after 3 months. Hoping to have it fully rented by 4/1. Then we'll refi and do it again. And by the way I have a possible deal on 6 duplexes (12 units) and could use some hard money lenders.

Summary

Purchase = 40k

Rehab = 160k

Total = 200k

ARV = 450k

Unit 1 = 1400/mo

Unit 2 = 1200/mo

Unit 3 = 900/mo

Unit 4 = 1300/mo

Total Rent = 4800/mo (2.4% of investment)

Interior pics to follow in a separate post but here are the exterior...

Before

After

7Reply
50 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor / Lender · Seattle, WA · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 730 votes
8y

Those are some great numbers; I'm jealous!  But it was well-deserved with how much work you've put in.  I don't think I've ever seen a rehab that was 4x the purchase price.

See this reply in the discussion

33 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor / Lender · Seattle, WA · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 730 votes
    8y

    Those are some great numbers; I'm jealous!  But it was well-deserved with how much work you've put in.  I don't think I've ever seen a rehab that was 4x the purchase price.

  • Real Estate Investor · Palm Beach County, FL · Member since 2017 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    8y

    Congrats those numbers are great!

    The exterior rehab looks very nice also.

    Sure wish there were deals like this in my market.

    Keep grinding and keep growing!

  • Wholesaler · Newark, DE · Member since 2015 · 303 posts · 80 votes
    8y

    Nice job @Jack Clough - rarely hear about the Newport, DE area as much as many do about Wilmington, Newark, Bear, and other surrounding areas. This goes to show the opportunities in even the most unknown (well, per se) areas.

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Wilmington, DE · Member since 2016 · 80 posts · 75 votes
    8y

    Thank you @Nghi Le , @Brian Garrett, @Rohith Janga, @Dustin Verley -  I found the deal through a wholesaler who was trying to sell the property for 180k originally. Nothing against wholesalers but this one was up to nothing good. 

    So, I found a way to get in touch with the owner directly. I left him a voicemail and just told him honestly that I was here to help and offer advice. I let him know that I'm interested in a deal, but if a deal was not possible then I could at least offer advice for his situation. Three weeks went by and finally he called me back. We had a nice conversation and set up a meeting. We met for coffee and chatted about real estate, family, etc... Trust was established in both directions and we settled on a deal at 40k (the building was on the verge of being condemned and he could've ended up with nothing).

    I honestly wanted to help the owner and by having that frame of mind while at the same time staying focused on my own goals I was able to get a deal. But it took a lot of patience and persistence (and shortly thereafter I found and closed on three more deals). The BP podcasts definitely helped me to visualize the kind of scenario that unfolded. So, mega thanks to BP for the podcasts.

    Every day I have to tell my 10 yr old son to put his shoes on and he always says "I can't find them", but the fact is that he never looks. 

    I believe that deals like this exist everywhere, in any market, and in any economy, but you will never find them unless you look. The searching is the education. At least it is for me...

  • Real Estate Investor · Palm Beach County, FL · Member since 2017 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Jack Clough:

    Thank you @Nghi Le , @Brian Garrett, @Rohith Janga, @Dustin Verley -  I found the deal through a wholesaler who was trying to sell the property for 180k originally. Nothing against wholesalers but this one was up to nothing good. 

    So, I found a way to get in touch with the owner directly. I left him a voicemail and just told him honestly that I was here to help and offer advice. I let him know that I'm interested in a deal, but if a deal was not possible then I could at least offer advice for his situation. Three weeks went by and finally he called me back. We had a nice conversation and set up a meeting. We met for coffee and chatted about real estate, family, etc... Trust was established in both directions and we settled on a deal at 40k (the building was on the verge of being condemned and he could've ended up with nothing).

    I honestly wanted to help the owner and by having that frame of mind while at the same time staying focused on my own goals I was able to get a deal. But it took a lot of patience and persistence (and shortly thereafter I found and closed on three more deals). The BP podcasts definitely helped me to visualize the kind of scenario that unfolded. So, mega thanks to BP for the podcasts.

    Every day I have to tell my 10 yr old son to put his shoes on and he always says "I can't find them", but the fact is that he never looks. 

    I believe that deals like this exist everywhere, in any market, and in any economy, but you will never find them unless you look. The searching is the education. At least it is for me...

    I agree with 95% of what you said besides the analogy at the end. Deals like this definitely don’t exist everywhere or in every market. You would not find this type of deal or opportunity here in my area. It just doesn’t exist. I agree that the best deals are the off-market ones that you have to dig around to find and work on cultivating though!

  • Fort Collins, CO · Member since 2016 · 34 posts · 13 votes
    8y

    @Jack Clough You bought a property for 40K , while the wholesaler is trying to sell it for 180K, that is awesome. But how were you able to convince the owner to work with you? While he would have made more money working with wholesaler ?

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Wilmington, DE · Member since 2016 · 80 posts · 75 votes
    8y

    @Brian Garrett, It might not exist with the same numbers, but relatively speaking it could. I spent a week in Delray Beach last December. That place is growing like crazy and the number of restaurants downtown has tripled in the last 5 years. But two blocks away there are some SFRs that look like great flips or buy and holds They're going to quickly run out of affordable apartments that are walkable to the main street and I have to think there is a huge opportunity there. Any thoughts on Delray? Have you looked at that area?

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Wilmington, DE · Member since 2016 · 80 posts · 75 votes
    8y

    @Rohith Janga, the wholesaler was never going to get 180k and I knew that. She was falsely advertising the place as having two apartments that were move-in ready (we had too gut the whole place), and the porch work being nearly done (we had to tear it down and re-pour the cement). The last time she contacted me she was down to 80k. I knew that no one in their right mind would pay more than 60k which means that anyone she showed the property to was being misled and would not have interest. And even if they did pay 60k, that wholesaler was going to take 20k off the top.

  • South Jersey · Member since 2016 · 78 posts · 35 votes
    8y
    Jack Clough how did you come about his deal? Was it on the market? I’m super jealous of those numbers but def a lot of sweat equity in that!!
  • Real Estate Investor · Palm Beach County, FL · Member since 2017 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Jack Clough:

    @Brian Garrett, It might not exist with the same numbers, but relatively speaking it could. I spent a week in Delray Beach last December. That place is growing like crazy and the number of restaurants downtown has tripled in the last 5 years. But two blocks away there are some SFRs that look like great flips or buy and holds They're going to quickly run out of affordable apartments that are walkable to the main street and I have to think there is a huge opportunity there. Any thoughts on Delray? Have you looked at that area?

    I’m born and raised here so yes I’m very familiar with Delray. Spending a week here isn’t enough time to really understand or gauge the market. That is one of the hottest most overpriced and investor frenzy areas anywhere around here.

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Wilmington, DE · Member since 2016 · 80 posts · 75 votes
    8y

    @Dawn Curry, the wholesaler contacted me because she saw me post about Delaware on BP at some point. The rest of the story you can read above.

    Also, my biz partner is a construction guy so his crew did all the work. I didn't have to lift a finger!

  • South Jersey · Member since 2016 · 78 posts · 35 votes
    8y

    @Jack Clough funny about your story. There was a quad near me that the lady was asking over 100k for it. She was backed up on her taxes (which we knew) and offered her 40k — all the places needed a gut job!! Apparently at the time she was offended by our offer but we tried telling her the amount of work needed to be done. Needless to say, months after.. she ended up selling the place for 40k. Talk about frustrating!

  • BOISE, ID · Member since 2014 · 77 posts · 45 votes
    8y

    2.4% is awesome!

  • Hockessin, DE · Member since 2015 · 19 posts · 8 votes
    8y

    @Jack Clough I toured this property with the original Wholesaler to buy it and it was is VERY rough shape. You are a brave man. Place looks great now!  Congrats!

  • Investor · Wilmington, DE · Member since 2013 · 394 posts · 123 votes
    8y

    @Jack Clough that place looks great.  Look forward to seeing the inside pics.  I saw this disaster of a property it as it was being shopped around by several different wholesalers, all wanting way too much for it.  I do wonder how you are getting your rental numbers?  My opinion is that 900 for a 1bd in Newport is high as is 1,200 for a 2bd.  What I have seen when evaluating rental props there is closer to 600 for a 1bd and no more than a 1,000 for 2.  I also think the location, being near the commercial businesses and run down props, is gonna be a challenge to get top rents with quality tenants, even with a brand new place.  Regardless, I think being all in for 200K is a jackpot of a deal for a quad in the area.  Congrats!!!  

    Where are the duplexes you have a lead on and what kinda loan you looking for?

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Wilmington, DE · Member since 2016 · 80 posts · 75 votes
    8y

    @Eric Armstrong, thanks. I agree that I may be optimistic on my rents, but we've had a lot of interest so we'll see. Also, each apartment has its own in-unit washer and dryer and again they are all brand new construction. 

    Additionally, there is a 30x15 garage in back that I didn't mention. It is not accessible for cars, but we rented it as storage space for $800/mo. So, really we have a 5-plex.

    As far as location, this is one of the safest areas in Wilmington due to Newport being its own township and having its own (no tolerance) police force. The code officer lives next door. There is a very popular skate park 1/2 block away and access to 95 is 1 block away.

    We have yet to do the finishes but have completed the drywall, trim, doors, paint. Trying to rent by 4/1 so I'm showing the place today between 2-4. Feel free to stop by. 

  • Investor · Bronxville, NY · Member since 2017 · 101 posts · 48 votes
    8y

    Congratulations, first of all! This is inspiring for me.  I'm sure you're a lot more seasoned that I am.  I echo mostly everyone that the numbers are really good.  This is the true definition of no risk no reward.

    Delaware was an area I'm looking to expand, but trying to get a number under my belt here in the NY area.

  • Investor · Newport Beach, CA · Member since 2017 · 25 posts · 3 votes
    8y

    @Jack Clough Thank you for the inspiration. 

    How did you end up partnering with your contractor/construction company owner? 

    Did you meet him with that intent or is he a friend? 

    How do you split the costs, equity, etc when construction is that large a percentage of the total cost?

  • Investor · West Palm Beach, FL · Member since 2017 · 94 posts · 32 votes
    8y

    Wow those are some great numbers. Congrats!

    I agree with what @BrianGarrett mentioned about deals in the West Palm area. Very very few far and in between. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Chesapeake, VA · Member since 2017 · 100 posts · 75 votes
    8y

    @Jack Clough

    Well done, excellent work! I'm assuming you have experience to have the confidence to take on a rehab of this magnitude. If you don't mind me asking, how did you go about financing the deal/rehab? Was it all hard money? Is there a seasoning period before you're able to refinance? Can't wait to see the interior pics! Be sure to link them here! :)

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Wilmington, DE · Member since 2016 · 80 posts · 75 votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Nathan C.:

    @Jack Clough Thank you for the inspiration. 

    How did you end up partnering with your contractor/construction company owner? 

    Did you meet him with that intent or is he a friend? 

    How do you split the costs, equity, etc when construction is that large a percentage of the total cost?

     yes, we met with the intent of doing business. We went in 50/50. He manages the rehab and I find more deals for the pipeline. 

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Wilmington, DE · Member since 2016 · 80 posts · 75 votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Joshua S.:

    @Jack Clough

    Well done, excellent work! I'm assuming you have experience to have the confidence to take on a rehab of this magnitude. If you don't mind me asking, how did you go about financing the deal/rehab? Was it all hard money? Is there a seasoning period before you're able to refinance? Can't wait to see the interior pics! Be sure to link them here! :)

     Thank you. I actually had to use a heloc to fund my half so needless to say I'm looking forward to the refi. My partner used his savings. The banker says we won't need a seasoning period. I'd post the interior pics now but we're just finishing up the painting process. Next is carpet, vinyl for baths and kitchens, cabinets (we became a cabinet dealer so we can do a whole kitchen now for $1200), fixtures, punch list...

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Wilmington, DE · Member since 2016 · 80 posts · 75 votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Moises B.:

    Congratulations, first of all! This is inspiring for me.  I'm sure you're a lot more seasoned that I am.  I echo mostly everyone that the numbers are really good.  This is the true definition of no risk no reward.

    Delaware was an area I'm looking to expand, but trying to get a number under my belt here in the NY area.

     Moises - yes it was risky but I took the risk away by making sure I had an exit strategy. I knew that worst case scenario we could sell and still make a few bucks.

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Wilmington, DE · Member since 2016 · 80 posts · 75 votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Joshua S.:

    @Jack Clough

    Well done, excellent work! I'm assuming you have experience to have the confidence to take on a rehab of this magnitude. If you don't mind me asking, how did you go about financing the deal/rehab? Was it all hard money? Is there a seasoning period before you're able to refinance? Can't wait to see the interior pics! Be sure to link them here! :)

     Actually this is the first rehab of this magnitude for me, but I have a ton of confidence in my contractor. So much so that we began two more full gut sfr rehabs in January for the purpose of flipping. One is a 1200 sf row home and the other a 3500 sf historic district single detached row home that I bought from Fannie Mae for 75k. These are scheduled for completion by May and June.

  • Rental Property Investor · Chesapeake, VA · Member since 2017 · 100 posts · 75 votes
    8y

    @Jack Clough

    Thanks! That's excellent!  Got any tips for finding a really good contractor like that?

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.