First BRRRR Complete with PHOTOS and numbers

First BRRRR Complete with PHOTOS and numbers

Burlington, KY · Member since 2013 · 58 posts · 65 votes

Completed my first BRRRR today thanks to all the information that I learned from the hours of reading on BP and a few books too. Ended up with a 5 bedroom 4 full baths and 2800 sq. ft. 2 story with another 1550 sq. Ft basement (unfinished).

Here’s the story and the numbers:

Property went on the MLS on 11/21/2016 for $125,000, on 2/3/2017 was reduced to $99,900, on 2/15/2017 it was reduced to $89,900 then on 3/6/2017 it was reduced to $79,900. On 3/7/2017 I went to look at it and put in an offer of $60,000 that night. I had been watching that property for a while. They accepted it and then it got real. This was the first house I looked at and my first offer ever. I didn't expect it to be accepted. I was worried because they didn't counter at all. I thought I may have made a mistake. As it turns out it was a solid house. Paid an inspector and he said nothing was wrong that I wasn't already aware of.

I knew it needed a lot of work and I knew a lot of it I could do myself. It was 2800 sq. ft. but half of the upstairs was never finished at all. I knew I could finish it and made a floorplan of what I wanted to do with it. The floorplan I made worked out great in the end. We added a master suite with large walk in closet, large bath with a walk in linen closet and a hall bath for the other two upstairs bedrooms to share. I did have an inspection contingency and a financing contingency.

So then it was time to find financing. Called a few local banks and could not find a bank willing to do what we needed. Then I made one last call to a local bank and they had a "purchase/rehab" program that was perfect. We had to put 20% down on the purchase price ONLY then they would finance the entire rehab 100% (only a 1% origination fee). It was a 1 yr. loan interest only at 4.375%. They ended up asking for 25% down since it was my first one and had to put my personal residence up as a guarantee but they approved me. The original appraisal included an ARV value for after the house was renovated. It came in at $164,000. I knew that was low but didn't care because they would loan up to 75% and that was plenty after putting 25% down.

The rehab portion was originally $60,000 but we went over budget and had to get another $12,000 from them. Well we went over that too but used cash and an interest free credit card to finish everything up. We did a lot of things that were not in the original scope of work (roof over the porch, new porch, all new windows, concrete walks instead of gravel). I thought it would take 4 to 6 months to finish. It took 10 months but the amount of cash I saved doing the work myself was worth it since I was tight on cash but had time. I ended up putting in 1304 hours in 10 months while working full time and my dad helped another 463 hours. My wife helped some but she is permanently disabled so I knew she couldn’t help much. I hired out roofing, siding, gutters, porch roof, and windows all by the same company and they don’t ask for any money until the entire job was complete. This worked well because we had to get regular inspections for the draws on the rehab portion just like a construction loan. The only other work I subbed out was plumbing rough-in for 2 baths, and drywall finishing. We hung 142 sheets of drywall, rewired the entire house (my stepson is an electrician) redid the entire kitchen, and laid 2500 sq. ft. of vinyl laminate flooring among other things.

Refinance time:

I applied for the refi through the same local bank the original loan was with. The guy asks me what the property is worth and I said “at least 180k but likely a lot more”. That was my first mistake. He put in his loan amount as 135k (75% of 180k). He said we could change that based on the appraisal. I asked what information the appraiser sees on a refi and he assured me several times this would not affect the appraisal since they don’t see this info. Well the appraisal came back at 184k. Go figure. I was irritated and let the mortgage guy know and that’s when he let slip that they do see the amount of the requested loan amount and could figure out from that what the appraisal needed to be. I told him I would look elsewhere since I would have to apply somewhere else to get a new appraisal. I ended up going with J.G Wentworth and they were awesome. Rate was 5.5% (30 yr. fixed) instead of 5.625% from the other bank and we got a new appraisal. I told her that it was worth 210k and guess what it came back at…. 212k. Just over what we needed to get this loan amount. Also the original appraiser did a market rent analysis to use the rental income to qualify and it came back at $1550/mo. The new appraisal market rent analysis came in at $1750/mo. which is what it was rented for. Really glad we went elsewhere.

Now for the numbers:

Purchase price  $60,000

Rehab total  $85,326

Holding costs  $6,532

Both loan costs  $6157

Total  $158,705

Refinanced cash out  $159,000

PITI payment $1125

Vacancy 5%  $87

CapEx $175

Maintenance  $60

Management  $175

Total Costs  $1622

Rent  $1750/mo.

Cash flow  $128

Cash flow is actually $303 since I am managing it myself but included management cost to get a clear picture of the numbers. The entire house is new except furnace (10 yrs. Old) and water heater (3 yrs. Old) so capex should be minimal for quite a while.

Here are some before and after photos:

24Reply
135 views

Most Popular Reply

Dallas, TX · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 745 votes
8y
Originally posted by @Joseph Walsh:

Hey congrats.  That's  a lot of work for your first one. Knowing what you know now, is there anything you would/could of done differently that would of resulted in more monthly cash flow?  $130 a month is pretty slim.  Of course,  you are doubling that by self-management, but the point of the question is "what would you do differently for more profit" knowing what you know now?  still, nice work.

 I wouldn't call it too "thin".  He has 50K in equity and has 0 capital 

If he'd done a 100% financing deal where he made $630/M every one would be nice job.  IF you said $130 of that $630 is what he makes now, and the $500/month is a portion of that $50K in equity he has now, then you would have 8-9 years of $500/Month income before you broke even.  IE basically instead of  8-9 years of $500/month in cash flow, he got $50K+ in one payment

Throw in 2%+ appreciation on the $200K, so approx. $4K/year on top of the $130/Month or about $1500/year in cash flow.  Plus he pays down $3,000-$3,500/year on the note.

So on a property with no capital investment (after the loan), he probably gets  about $9K/year in return.

I will take that.

See this reply in the discussion

59 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Burlington, KY · Member since 2013 · 58 posts · 65 votes
    8y
  • Burlington, KY · Member since 2013 · 58 posts · 65 votes
    8y
  • Burlington, KY · Member since 2013 · 58 posts · 65 votes
    8y
  • Burlington, KY · Member since 2013 · 58 posts · 65 votes
    8y
  • Investor · Knoxville, TN · Member since 2017 · 34 posts · 16 votes
    8y

    Congrats Brian! Awesome job on the rehab.

  • Real Estate Investor · Palm Beach County, FL · Member since 2017 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    8y

    Awesome job on the rehab and execution of the BRRRR.

    You got 100% of your capital back out and have a cash flowing property. 

    It's hard to beat that! Congrats now it's time to find another deal and repeat!

  • Cleveland, OH · Member since 2018 · 133 posts · 59 votes
    8y

    Congratulations @Brian R. on your BRRRR. Now on to the next project!

  • Burlington, KY · Member since 2013 · 58 posts · 65 votes
    8y

    Thanks guys. It was a lot of work. Had I known how much work it would be I might not have undertaken such a large project for my first one. But now that I've finished I would do again in a heartbeat. The numbers only worked because I did most of the work myself. Anyone who hires everything out would probably have only broken even. Lucky for me I had more time that money. I had a friend take aerial photos and video when I bought it last spring and last fall when the outside was complete. I decided to buy my own drone and will be using it to do my own in the future. It was my gift to myself for all my hard work. Good for inspecting roofs on potential properties too.

    Brian

  • Rental Property Investor · Metamora, IL · Member since 2018 · 11 posts · 5 votes
    8y

    Awesome job, now repeat! :)

  • Investor · Southern Indiana, IN · Member since 2017 · 178 posts · 95 votes
    8y

    Hey congrats Brian! Gotta feel good!

  • Norwood, NJ · Member since 2017 · 37 posts · 12 votes
    8y

    Thank you for sharing your experience and most importantly the numbers! Very encouraging for new BRRRRers!

  • Southern, MD · Member since 2017 · 16 posts · 6 votes
    8y

    Great job Brian, thanks for sharing.

  • Burlington, KY · Member since 2013 · 58 posts · 65 votes
    8y

    Its kind of strange. I have only ever looked at ONE property (this one) and I put in an offer that evening. I don't have any idea how long it will take me to find another deal or even how to find another deal. I scour the MLS for houses in need of serious work but they don't last long. I am looking at one tomorrow that my realtor has been in and said the previous client he walked it with said it was too much work to be done. It is a small house so cant be as much work as this one I just completed. As long as the price is right. Its been on the market several months and has been lowered a lot so they may just take a low offer. It has 2 lots so I may be able to build a duplex on the second lot too. We shall see.

  • Member since 2018 · 1 post · 0 votes
    8y

    It turned out to be a really nice home 👏👏

  • Rental Property Investor · Boulder, CO · Member since 2016 · 55 posts · 23 votes
    8y

    Wow! Great job, excellent writing, awesome before and after pics. Thank you for telling such a wonderfully detailed story of your first project. Soo impressed!

  • Atlanta, GA · Member since 2017 · 151 posts · 11 votes
    8y

    congrats Brian! And now u can pass on about the refi info to other investors! That the inspector does look at your guess if it’s value after rehabbed! Lol

  • Real Estate Agent · Miami, FL · Member since 2018 · 3 posts · 2 votes
    8y

    Impressive! Congratulations!

  • Burlington, KY · Member since 2013 · 58 posts · 65 votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Christopher Shawn eady:

    congrats Brian! And now u can pass on about the refi info to other investors! That the inspector does look at your guess if it’s value after rehabbed! Lol

     Well I think its more of a "value it at the minimum necessary to facilitate the loan requested" type of thing. They still have to find comps that justify it. Just don't let the bank put the loan in for a lower amount and then tell you they can raise it based on the appraisal. It seems they just do the minimum because they are scared of getting sued by the lender for overvaluing.

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Newport News, VA · Member since 2016 · 128 posts · 54 votes
    8y

    Great job sir! What type of floor is that? How much was it per sq ft? And where is it available? Thank you. 

  • Worcester, MA · Member since 2018 · 4 posts · 1 vote
    8y

    Wow, fantastic job! I wish I had time to learn how to do some construction/rehab work!

  • Investor · Tauranga, Bay Of Plenty · Member since 2017 · 10 posts · 3 votes
    8y

    Well done! Love the before and after pics. But what I really liked about this deal was how you stuck to your buying discipline and went for it only when the numbers would work, and then putting in a low offer to sweeten it further in your favour! Awesome! Anyone can swing a bat but waiting for the fat pitch requires a decent amount of emotional maturity. Well done! 

  • Maple Valley, WA · Member since 2018 · 5 posts · 1 vote
    8y

    Wow!  All I can say is, "Wow!"  Fantastic work!  That flooring, the exterior color choice, just everything...amazing and inspiring!  You're the real deal.

  • Rental Property Investor · Brooke Park Drive · Member since 2018 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    8y

    J.G. Wentworth I like their commercials 

  • Anaheim, CA · Member since 2015 · 48 posts · 11 votes
    8y

    Great job @Brian R. ! Way to go!

  • Burlington, KY · Member since 2013 · 58 posts · 65 votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Account Closed:

    J.G. Wentworth I like their commercials 

     My wife said she likes their jingle too.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.