First BRRRR Complete with PHOTOS and numbers

First BRRRR Complete with PHOTOS and numbers

Burlington, KY · Member since 2013 · 58 posts · 65 votes

Completed my first BRRRR today thanks to all the information that I learned from the hours of reading on BP and a few books too. Ended up with a 5 bedroom 4 full baths and 2800 sq. ft. 2 story with another 1550 sq. Ft basement (unfinished).

Here’s the story and the numbers:

Property went on the MLS on 11/21/2016 for $125,000, on 2/3/2017 was reduced to $99,900, on 2/15/2017 it was reduced to $89,900 then on 3/6/2017 it was reduced to $79,900. On 3/7/2017 I went to look at it and put in an offer of $60,000 that night. I had been watching that property for a while. They accepted it and then it got real. This was the first house I looked at and my first offer ever. I didn't expect it to be accepted. I was worried because they didn't counter at all. I thought I may have made a mistake. As it turns out it was a solid house. Paid an inspector and he said nothing was wrong that I wasn't already aware of.

I knew it needed a lot of work and I knew a lot of it I could do myself. It was 2800 sq. ft. but half of the upstairs was never finished at all. I knew I could finish it and made a floorplan of what I wanted to do with it. The floorplan I made worked out great in the end. We added a master suite with large walk in closet, large bath with a walk in linen closet and a hall bath for the other two upstairs bedrooms to share. I did have an inspection contingency and a financing contingency.

So then it was time to find financing. Called a few local banks and could not find a bank willing to do what we needed. Then I made one last call to a local bank and they had a "purchase/rehab" program that was perfect. We had to put 20% down on the purchase price ONLY then they would finance the entire rehab 100% (only a 1% origination fee). It was a 1 yr. loan interest only at 4.375%. They ended up asking for 25% down since it was my first one and had to put my personal residence up as a guarantee but they approved me. The original appraisal included an ARV value for after the house was renovated. It came in at $164,000. I knew that was low but didn't care because they would loan up to 75% and that was plenty after putting 25% down.

The rehab portion was originally $60,000 but we went over budget and had to get another $12,000 from them. Well we went over that too but used cash and an interest free credit card to finish everything up. We did a lot of things that were not in the original scope of work (roof over the porch, new porch, all new windows, concrete walks instead of gravel). I thought it would take 4 to 6 months to finish. It took 10 months but the amount of cash I saved doing the work myself was worth it since I was tight on cash but had time. I ended up putting in 1304 hours in 10 months while working full time and my dad helped another 463 hours. My wife helped some but she is permanently disabled so I knew she couldn’t help much. I hired out roofing, siding, gutters, porch roof, and windows all by the same company and they don’t ask for any money until the entire job was complete. This worked well because we had to get regular inspections for the draws on the rehab portion just like a construction loan. The only other work I subbed out was plumbing rough-in for 2 baths, and drywall finishing. We hung 142 sheets of drywall, rewired the entire house (my stepson is an electrician) redid the entire kitchen, and laid 2500 sq. ft. of vinyl laminate flooring among other things.

Refinance time:

I applied for the refi through the same local bank the original loan was with. The guy asks me what the property is worth and I said “at least 180k but likely a lot more”. That was my first mistake. He put in his loan amount as 135k (75% of 180k). He said we could change that based on the appraisal. I asked what information the appraiser sees on a refi and he assured me several times this would not affect the appraisal since they don’t see this info. Well the appraisal came back at 184k. Go figure. I was irritated and let the mortgage guy know and that’s when he let slip that they do see the amount of the requested loan amount and could figure out from that what the appraisal needed to be. I told him I would look elsewhere since I would have to apply somewhere else to get a new appraisal. I ended up going with J.G Wentworth and they were awesome. Rate was 5.5% (30 yr. fixed) instead of 5.625% from the other bank and we got a new appraisal. I told her that it was worth 210k and guess what it came back at…. 212k. Just over what we needed to get this loan amount. Also the original appraiser did a market rent analysis to use the rental income to qualify and it came back at $1550/mo. The new appraisal market rent analysis came in at $1750/mo. which is what it was rented for. Really glad we went elsewhere.

Now for the numbers:

Purchase price  $60,000

Rehab total  $85,326

Holding costs  $6,532

Both loan costs  $6157

Total  $158,705

Refinanced cash out  $159,000

PITI payment $1125

Vacancy 5%  $87

CapEx $175

Maintenance  $60

Management  $175

Total Costs  $1622

Rent  $1750/mo.

Cash flow  $128

Cash flow is actually $303 since I am managing it myself but included management cost to get a clear picture of the numbers. The entire house is new except furnace (10 yrs. Old) and water heater (3 yrs. Old) so capex should be minimal for quite a while.

Here are some before and after photos:

24Reply
133 views

Most Popular Reply

Dallas, TX · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 745 votes
8y
Originally posted by @Joseph Walsh:

Hey congrats.  That's  a lot of work for your first one. Knowing what you know now, is there anything you would/could of done differently that would of resulted in more monthly cash flow?  $130 a month is pretty slim.  Of course,  you are doubling that by self-management, but the point of the question is "what would you do differently for more profit" knowing what you know now?  still, nice work.

 I wouldn't call it too "thin".  He has 50K in equity and has 0 capital 

If he'd done a 100% financing deal where he made $630/M every one would be nice job.  IF you said $130 of that $630 is what he makes now, and the $500/month is a portion of that $50K in equity he has now, then you would have 8-9 years of $500/Month income before you broke even.  IE basically instead of  8-9 years of $500/month in cash flow, he got $50K+ in one payment

Throw in 2%+ appreciation on the $200K, so approx. $4K/year on top of the $130/Month or about $1500/year in cash flow.  Plus he pays down $3,000-$3,500/year on the note.

So on a property with no capital investment (after the loan), he probably gets  about $9K/year in return.

I will take that.

See this reply in the discussion

59 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Sergey TkachevPro Member
    Investor, Agent, CPA · West Sacramento, CA · Member since 2009 · 690 posts · 262 votes
    8y

    @Brian R., thanks so much for sharing and great job on the rehab!!  I bet you learned more on this one than you imagined :).  Wish you much blessings in your search for the next one, keep us updated!

  • Member since 2018 · 1 post · 1 vote
    8y

    Great job. I'm still trying to figure out how to do similar in a market where the average listing stays on the market for a few days and then sells for 10% above asking price!

  • Burlington, KY · Member since 2013 · 58 posts · 65 votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Huso Akaratovic:

    Great job sir! What type of floor is that? How much was it per sq ft? And where is it available? Thank you. 

     The flooring is from lumber liquidators. Its copper ridge 5mm vinyl laminate. Everyone who has seen it loves it. It goes great with earth tones (tans and browns). Its much better than the cheap stuff ($2.19) from home depot. I went to the store when I first bought this property and gave them my info when I got samples. Told them I rehab houses and after that I started receiving texts and calls from their pro accounts guy. Told him I would get back to him when I was ready for flooring and when I did he was able to do $1.95 per sq. ft. It was originally $2.39  but if you get 800 sq. ft. or more they take off ten cents to make it $2.29. I bought 2500 sq. ft. My local store had 2600 so i took almost all they had. I was able to pick up what I needed for that week and they held the rest till I was able to pick it all up. I couldn't get it all in one trip anyway (too much weight for a pickup truck) but the store is 10 minutes from the property anyway. If you do flooring I recommend getting the rolling knee pads from Harbor Freight for $20.

  • Investor · Kailua, HI · Member since 2016 · 72 posts · 33 votes
    8y

    Nice job @Brian R.  What do you have planned with the cash out refi?

  • Rental Property Investor · Concord, GA · Member since 2015 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    8y

    Great results due to lots of hard work. I guess any future projects will look doable since you've already done a big one like this. Refurbing properties yourself is time consuming but really cuts down on the amount of money required. My wife and I do all of our refurbing and just consider it our job. We go from one project to the next. Properties have been very difficult to find in our area too and a lot of them (most) we have to pass on because the numbers just won't work at the current prices. We have about 10 months worth of work ahead of us. Then?

    Anyway, very nice job on the Brrr

  • Auburn, NY · Member since 2014 · 22 posts · 4 votes
    8y

    Before and after pictures look great! Nice hustle and grind. I'd consider looking at how much net you would have if you flipped it. Would that amount be enough for a 4+ unit building? That's a lot of money tied up in a single unit at least in my area. May be able to significantly increase your ROI that route.

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Newport News, VA · Member since 2016 · 128 posts · 54 votes
    8y

    @Brian R. thank you for the reply. I’ll check them out. 

  • Atlanta, GA · Member since 2016 · 10 posts · 3 votes
    8y

    I thought you needed to find financing before submitting an offer on a property? Why is it that you did it the opposite way ?

  • Houston, TX · Member since 2018 · 16 posts · 0 votes
    8y

    Dude that's awesome. Congratulations on a successful deal and thanks for the play-by-play. That definitely helps.

    I am trying to find a BRRRR property in Houston, a lot harder here, huge market with lots of smart people going after the same things..

  • Burlington, KY · Member since 2013 · 58 posts · 65 votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Darrell Carter:

    I thought you needed to find financing before submitting an offer on a property? Why is it that you did it the opposite way ?

     That would probably have been smarter. I figured I had nothing to lose since I did have a financing contingency of "20% down commercial" mortgage and inspection contingency. I didn't know it at the time but the property was owned by the developer that bought the land in 2002 to build the subdivision. This was one of 2 houses that were the farm houses on that land. He basically got it for free and had been renting it out since then but did shoddy work on it and let it deteriorate. I think he was just ready to be rid of it or needed some cash or both.

  • Burlington, KY · Member since 2013 · 58 posts · 65 votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Harsh Singh:

    Dude that's awesome. Congratulations on a successful deal and thanks for the play-by-play. That definitely helps.

    I am trying to find a BRRRR property in Houston, a lot harder here, huge market with lots of smart people going after the same things..

     I am in the Cincinnati market which is fairly competitive but I want to focus on slightly better neighborhoods than what Cincinnati has to offer. I grew up in a suburb of Cincinnati which is just across the river from this house (northern KY). Because I do most of the work I prefer to do deals close to my home. This one was about 10 minutes away. I could do a lot more if I wanted to venture into some of the C and D neighborhoods in Cincy but I will wait to find that diamond in the rough closer to home in a b to b+ neighborhood. I'm not really counting on appreciation in any deal but in nicer neighborhoods the appreciation is much more likely and that's icing on the cake.

  • Brookfield, WI · Member since 2016 · 191 posts · 108 votes
    8y

    Hey congrats.  That's  a lot of work for your first one. Knowing what you know now, is there anything you would/could of done differently that would of resulted in more monthly cash flow?  $130 a month is pretty slim.  Of course,  you are doubling that by self-management, but the point of the question is "what would you do differently for more profit" knowing what you know now?  still, nice work.

  • Burlington, KY · Member since 2013 · 58 posts · 65 votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Joseph Walsh:

    Hey congrats.  That's  a lot of work for your first one. Knowing what you know now, is there anything you would/could of done differently that would of resulted in more monthly cash flow?  $130 a month is pretty slim.  Of course,  you are doubling that by self-management, but the point of the question is "what would you do differently for more profit" knowing what you know now?  still, nice work.

     Well everything we did was necessary. We didn't over do it on expensive upgrades. The only thing I would do differently is maybe offer less. They accepted within hours and didn't counter at all. That always makes you wonder. Also the rent will increase slightly at lease renewal. It will be in the summer instead of February so that should warrant higher rent even if the tenants move out after their lease is up.

  • Burlington, KY · Member since 2013 · 58 posts · 65 votes
    8y

    Thanks everyone for all the kind words. I really appreciate the feedback.

  • Roshan K.Pro Member
    Oklahoma City, OK · Member since 2017 · 258 posts · 215 votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Darrell Carter:

    I thought you needed to find financing before submitting an offer on a property? Why is it that you did it the opposite way ?

     Find a deal that's good enough, and you will have your options of lenders in today's economy. Definitely harder to find the deal. I would do that first. Also, a signed contract lets the bank (or any lender) know you're not yanking their chains.

  • Roshan K.Pro Member
    Oklahoma City, OK · Member since 2017 · 258 posts · 215 votes
    8y

    Congrats on the successful BRRR OP! Looks awesome!

  • Frisco, TX · Member since 2018 · 1 post · 0 votes
    8y

    How exciting and an excellent write-up/experience-share! Congratulations!!!

  • Real Estate Agent · Addison, TX · Member since 2017 · 57 posts · 7 votes
    8y

    Great Job on the BRRRR Now is time to Repeat. I have several rental properties here in Texas specifically the Dallas area if anyone is looking for their own BRRRR.

  • Walnut Creek, CA · Member since 2017 · 15 posts · 4 votes
    8y

    Great job!  Thanks for sharing.

  • Cincinnati/Dayton, OH · Member since 2017 · 15 posts · 7 votes
    8y

    Great post, thanks for sharing the numbers and the details on finding financing.

  • Dallas, TX · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 745 votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Joseph Walsh:

    Hey congrats.  That's  a lot of work for your first one. Knowing what you know now, is there anything you would/could of done differently that would of resulted in more monthly cash flow?  $130 a month is pretty slim.  Of course,  you are doubling that by self-management, but the point of the question is "what would you do differently for more profit" knowing what you know now?  still, nice work.

     I wouldn't call it too "thin".  He has 50K in equity and has 0 capital 

    If he'd done a 100% financing deal where he made $630/M every one would be nice job.  IF you said $130 of that $630 is what he makes now, and the $500/month is a portion of that $50K in equity he has now, then you would have 8-9 years of $500/Month income before you broke even.  IE basically instead of  8-9 years of $500/month in cash flow, he got $50K+ in one payment

    Throw in 2%+ appreciation on the $200K, so approx. $4K/year on top of the $130/Month or about $1500/year in cash flow.  Plus he pays down $3,000-$3,500/year on the note.

    So on a property with no capital investment (after the loan), he probably gets  about $9K/year in return.

    I will take that.

  • Burlington, KY · Member since 2013 · 58 posts · 65 votes
    8y

    Yes I would do it again in a heartbeat. Even if I knew all the numbers were the same. Thanks @Bart H. I appreciate your analysis. I do think that the mortgage pay down each month should be factored in which makes the actual value 130 +175 (self managing) +175 (Mort. Principle) for a total value of $480 per month. The mortgage principle reduction goes up about about $10/mo each year to start and by year 10 it goes up almost $20/mo each year. Not even factoring in appreciation which increases slowly but steadily in our area. Also almost everything on this house is new and shouldn't need a lot of capex for a long time so that 10% for capex may be high too.

  • Rental Property Investor · NY/NJ · Member since 2017 · 6 posts · 3 votes
    8y

    great job on your first deal

  • Member since 2018 · 4 posts · 0 votes
    8y

    Dude ......this is some powerful stuff ....appreciate the blow by blow steps ....I like how you kept real about exceeding rehab  your budget portion . Congrats again !!

  • Burlington, KY · Member since 2013 · 58 posts · 65 votes
    8y

    Thanks @David Whittle. I appreciate the feedback.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.