Another Morris Invest

Another Morris Invest

W Friendship, MD · Member since 2017 · 25 posts · 7 votes

I will keep my story short and voided Of all the details because I think we get the jist. Purchased new construction from Morris September 2017 was told construction six to eight weeks. First month told permits are taking longer than expected but was told everything was ready before I purchased, following month told footers and underground plumbing was done.Through multiple emails every month being told the same progress footers and plumbing they forget what the tell me

the previous month. Told they are backed up now after many emails and tell me another company called Waire Group is

handling the construction now. I have a local realtor on the ground now and he drove by today to a dirt lot with maybe footers he can’t tell. A project to be done in six-eight weeks is now a dirt lot almost eight months later.

0Reply
125 views

Most Popular Reply

Walnut Creek, CA · Member since 2015 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
8y

When does the class action lawsuit start?

See this reply in the discussion

58 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Josh C.Pro Member
    Property Manager · Indianapolis, IN · Member since 2010 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    8y
    Unfortunately, I too have seen the new build products. Literally where only charity would build. Sorry that has happened. We’ve picked up so many of oceanpointe’s houses and seen the fraud first hand (mostly double leases where the tenant pays $500 and oceanpointe pays $650) but one we just sent an owner who had paid up front for a completely remodeled house a 51k rehab estimate. It needed everything. Wiring, plumbing, windows, HVAC. I mean everything. He had been receiving “rent” for 7 months. Obviously no one was paying rent but they took the rehab money, never did the rehab and then sent $650 checks each month til the music stops. At least that’s how it looks from our end. Maybe the tenant aged the roof 40 years in those 7 months somehow? Additionally, Morris’s YouTube channel is good for a laugh. Check out his 5 tips for buying out of state. One of the the tips is “fall in love with the ROI and not the real estate, don’t concern yourself with crime maps and school data.” Another tip is “do your research but not too much, don’t read online forums.” Uh, you mean like bigger pockets? He actually says this. Hope they all rot in jail. I have tons of evidence for center township. Not any in Lawrence as of yet. But lots of leases of forged signatures and such. Happy to help in any way. Good luck. Always, get an extra appraisal or realtor opinion if putting all your trust in a turnkey guy. 80k isn’t cheap if it’s in the hood and need 51k in rehab. Here in Indy that’s a $3,000 house bought at tax sale. Seriously.
  • Realtor · Boulder, CO · Member since 2016 · 3k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    8y

    @Caleb Heimsoth I'm not a lawyer. Luckily only ever been to court a few times for an eviction and a traffic violation. I'd hate to jump to any conclusions, however my gut tells me there are a slew of laws broken here: I just looked up "real estate fraud crime" and here's the definition: "Real estate fraud is when an individual or agency uses false information or misrepresents the information for any real estate transactions." What Morris is doing seems to meet the definition irrefutably. Other crimes that come to mind are brokering real estate without a license, real estate fraud (aforementioned and also possibly failure to disclose), forgery (creating fake leases), grand theft (taking money for rehabs and not delivering materials or completing work), wire fraud, money laundering (operating a Ponzi scheme), etc. etc. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Durham, NC · Member since 2016 · 7k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    8y

    @Steve K. I just finished watching a Morris Invest video on YouTube where he talks about the downsides of turnkey investing.  Number 2 downside he listed is not all turnkey companies are reputable and they may rip you off...now that’s ironic.

    Reminds me of a car mechanic who took me for a bit of a “ride” a couple years ago.  I had never been to this place but it was near where my car broke down due to what I thought was a bad alternator.  I show up and he makes this big show about how he’s gonna help me out and people bring their cars from miles around to have him fix them because he’s so trustworthy etc etc.  I found it kind of  odd.  So he looks at it and tells me it’s not my alternator but my battery and he’s got this super awesome battery he can sell me for 300 bucks.  I of course say yes because I thought the 2 year warranty it came with was worth it.  I figured that was high but hey warranty.

    Have the same issue a year later, still the battery find this time he replaced it with an old defective one and that all batteries come with a warranty lol.  This 120 battery had a 5 year one.  Live and learn.  I’ll

    Never trust someone who makes a big show of helping me ever again. 

  • Walnut Creek, CA · Member since 2015 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Brendan Curley:
    Originally posted by @Steve K.:

    Everyone reading this should go report their YouTube channel as a scam. If enough people do, maybe YouTube will finally take it down. Kills me to think there are still people out there purchasing from these scammers. How many people need to get ripped off before they get shut down?

     I find it amazing that all these people were scammed by Morris Invest and there are no bad reviews on his YouTube Channel in the comments nor his Facebook ads. I could see him taking a few down, but we are talking hundreds of people affected by this. He can't possibly keep up with hundreds of bad reviews week in and week out. I would be blasting him every day.

     I'm pretty sure they actively clean up the comments on their channel

  • Walnut Creek, CA · Member since 2015 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    8y

    Does this go federal since it crosses state lines with all the out of state investors?

  • Realtor · Boulder, CO · Member since 2016 · 3k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    8y

    @Caleb Heimsoth I haven't watched too many of the videos. Maybe I should check them out before they get taken down as I bet there are a lot of gems in there. In my day job which is in sales I'm careful not to offer tax advice, financial advice, or promise or guarantee any specific returns because I'm not a CPA, MBA or financial advisor. I'm not sure if there are crimes involved with doing this or if its to avoid being sued but I've always been told not to do it. Clayton definitely gives tax and financial advice in his videos, without being an MBA, CPA, or anything that would qualify him to be trusted with people's money. His pedigree is as a broadcaster on Fox & Friends. 

  • Investor · Boston, MA · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    8y

    @Damian Robinson another avenue to look at to shake some trees, besides the AG, is the permits to see who is the General Contractor. Depending on how long the footing has been dug out like that and what the permit says, that could be a safety hazard. Think of the children!

    At the end of they day its the GC's licenses on the line, if there is someone with a GC licenses at all and not a straw-man situation. It won't get your money back, but it will make you more of a squeaky wheel. 

    With the number of complaints popping up on BP, ripoff report, ect, I think the trick of airing your grievances online to spur Morris into action has lost its novelty, which means you need to find new and inventive way to get Clayton and Natilie's attention. 

    Also @Jay Hinrichs, are you getting your Charleston rockstar a new transit and rotary laser level for Christmas?

  • Real Estate Consultant · Whitestown, IN · Member since 2014 · 547 posts · 933 votes
    8y

    These new construction are pretty much junk. We've got a couple under management and they are the cheapest builds I have ever seen. No base trim at the bottom of the walls... they used cove base. There is no central heating... all base-board heating, which is usually quite a bit more expensive. Good luck keeping your tenant in the hood with a $400 electric bill and no way to cool the home. There's very little overhead lighting and there are only 5 windows on the home. 3 bed / 2 bath / about 950 sq ft. The bedrooms are very small... I think the smallest bedroom is about 75-80 sq ft.

  • Joe SplitrockPro Member
    Moderator
    Rental Property Investor · Sioux Falls, SD · Member since 2015 · 9k+ posts · 18k+ votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Damian Robinson:

    That’s how Morris works you pay all the money up front for his properties.What recourse do you think I have?Live and learn at that time  BP didn’t have bad reviews on him yet.

    If you have an empty lot after paying Morris for the entire house, you have a very solid lawsuit here that is worth pursuing immediately. Your case is better than the average investor, because others are claiming inferior or incomplete rehab. Some of that can be subjective, so may be harder to prove. You paid for a house and have an EMPTY LOT. There is little to dispute here as far as failure to perform on the contract (assuming the contract doesn't give them a longer period of time to finish than you are claiming). Why are you being so passive and willing to just accept this?

    As far as BP not having any bad reviews in September 2017, that is total BS. Going back well over a year, there have been countless stories about him on BP. Any Google search of Morris Invest in September of 2017 would have gotten top page results giving you fair warning. The issue isn't that the warnings were not out there, the issue is you didn't look. No going back now, so just learn going forward to do your due diligence.

    Hire an attorney today and get your money back before Morris files bankruptcy. Don't wait for some class action, go after him by yourself.

  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Ross Denman:

    These new construction are pretty much junk. We've got a couple under management and they are the cheapest builds I have ever seen. No base trim at the bottom of the walls... they used cove base. There is no central heating... all base-board heating, which is usually quite a bit more expensive. Good luck keeping your tenant in the hood with a $400 electric bill and no way to cool the home. There's very little overhead lighting and there are only 5 windows on the home. 3 bed / 2 bath / about 950 sq ft. The bedrooms are very small... I think the smallest bedroom is about 75-80 sq ft.

     as I have been saying there is economically obsolete  ( many of these older homes that need more work than what they are worth on a resale basis) and functionally ( it appears building the cheapest home to the very minimum UBC code is a prime example.

    I had a rental up in Kokomo I dealt with that heat was too much in the winter and the tenant said either lower or NO rent or I have to move . I said no rent for 3 months.. then they just up and moved LOL.. another Jay donation.

  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Bill F.:

    @Damian Robinson another avenue to look at to shake some trees, besides the AG, is the permits to see who is the General Contractor. Depending on how long the footing has been dug out like that and what the permit says, that could be a safety hazard. Think of the children!

    At the end of they day its the GC's licenses on the line, if there is someone with a GC licenses at all and not a straw-man situation. It won't get your money back, but it will make you more of a squeaky wheel. 

    With the number of complaints popping up on BP, ripoff report, ect, I think the trick of airing your grievances online to spur Morris into action has lost its novelty, which means you need to find new and inventive way to get Clayton and Natilie's attention. 

    Also @Jay Hinrichs, are you getting your Charleston rockstar a new transit and rotary laser level for Christmas?

    we still made just under 200k on that one project so we came out ahead if it would have caused a loss or no profit It would have been different .. and I did want to bust that 200k glass profit ceiling on a SFR new build.. have not done it yet at least on anything under 750k..

  • Real Estate Broker · Cleveland Dayton Cincinnati Toledo Columbus & Akron, OH · Member since 2013 · 30k+ posts · 20k+ votes
    8y

    Lol, If Clayton misses being on FOX it's ok because it sounds like he is gonna be staring in a new tv show....American Greed.......Maybe even COPS who knows. lol.

  • Investor · Napa, CA · Member since 2016 · 77 posts · 80 votes
    8y
    I’ve been following several of these insane Morris Invest threads and am curious to know how investors found him in the first place...google search, referrals, financial advisors? Whatever channels are used to put him in touch with new investors need to be bombarded with complaints, the situation is bad enough without new people having access to his nasty operation
  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Rachel Bier:

    I’ve been following several of these insane Morris Invest threads and am curious to know how investors found him in the first place...google search, referrals, financial advisors? Whatever channels are used to put him in touch with new investors need to be bombarded with complaints, the situation is bad enough without new people having access to his nasty operation

    internet pod casts and one or two BP pod casts.. to be fair BP does not vette their pod cast guests..  ERGO BP Podcast is not endorsement although In reality I think with many it is..  

  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Rachel Bier:

    I’ve been following several of these insane Morris Invest threads and am curious to know how investors found him in the first place...google search, referrals, financial advisors? Whatever channels are used to put him in touch with new investors need to be bombarded with complaints, the situation is bad enough without new people having access to his nasty operation

    Also Rachel as you know landlording has its ups and downs.. and no one can be 1000% perfect on each and every deal and at the end of the day we are ALL (landlords) at the mercy  of what the tenant does.. They can start out great then run into financial issues which become your issues.. all sorts of things happen.

    But at the end of the day you have basic truths.. IE you pay for rehab you get rehab.. Not no rehab.. and you don't get fake tenants and fake leases.. and payments on empty properties etc etc.. that gives you an illusion that your investment is safe .

    in my almost 2 decades of funding turn key this is the biggest violation of the public trust I have seen.. many get away with it for 2 to 6 months then go broke but this has been going on for pert near 2 years.. and now all these nice folks are learning that they were sold a bill of goods in many cases. 

  • Investor · Napa, CA · Member since 2016 · 77 posts · 80 votes
    8y

    @Jay Hinrichs It's truly shocking... I was impressed by his BP podcast at the time even looking him up online for more info on his magic "freedom number" and his impressive marketing skills.  I enthusiastically followed Tyler Janke's post and I could never have foreseen where this would end up, even today as the new construction side is appearing it goes from bad to worse when I didn't think that was possible, I really have no words. I hope Karma works its magic on this piece of garbage.

  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Rachel Bier:

    @Jay Hinrichs It's truly shocking... I was impressed by his BP podcast at the time even looking him up online for more info on his magic "freedom number" and his impressive marketing skills.  I enthusiastically followed Tyler Janke's post and I could never have foreseen where this would end up, even today as the new construction side is appearing it goes from bad to worse when I didn't think that was possible, I really have no words. I hope Karma works its magic on this piece of garbage.

    did you see were Mr. Rudd passed away that guy was quite the entrepreneur.. but then again where you live your surrounded by them. 

  • Investor · Napa, CA · Member since 2016 · 77 posts · 80 votes
    8y

    Yes I did, very sad...we’re neighbors with his Edge Hill property , I didn’t know him personally, but ate at Press numerous times!

  • Murray, UT · Member since 2016 · 162 posts · 166 votes
    8y

    I have been sadly entertained by all of these Morris Invest threads the last few weeks.  This is truly disgusting.  Looking at the original picture you posted on the OP, I am really surprised that they actually went out and prepped for the footings.  Its like they almost tried.  I mean if you were really out to just hoodwink everybody why did they even bother showing up to prep for the footings?  Is he really that disorganized and in over his head, or is he just doing the absolute minimum he has to to keep investors following the carrot for as long as he can?

  • Walnut Creek, CA · Member since 2015 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Jay Hinrichs:
    Originally posted by @Rachel Bier:

    I’ve been following several of these insane Morris Invest threads and am curious to know how investors found him in the first place...google search, referrals, financial advisors? Whatever channels are used to put him in touch with new investors need to be bombarded with complaints, the situation is bad enough without new people having access to his nasty operation

    internet pod casts and one or two BP pod casts.. to be fair BP does not vette their pod cast guests..  ERGO BP Podcast is not endorsement although In reality I think with many it is..  

     wasn't there some post about some BP Podcast guest that ripped off someone for like 40k

  • Walnut Creek, CA · Member since 2015 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    8y

    There's probably an obvious answer to this and it's probably that it doesn't pencil out on paper but....

    Would it have made sense to go w/ a bulk order of prefab houses? He's basically building the cheapest house possible, could it of been done cheaper in bulk in a factory?

    Or was it cheaper to sell 60k lots that he got for 600 bucks w/ the promise of a dream.

  • W Friendship, MD · Member since 2017 · 25 posts · 7 votes
    8y

    Follow up with Morris Invest. Through many emails with them the stance they are taking is that Oceanpoint was the seller with all their properties and sue them and file against OP with the AG . They don’t buy back properties.

  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Damian Robinson:

    Follow up with Morris Invest. Through many emails with them the stance they are taking is that Oceanpoint was the seller with all their properties and sue them and file against OP with the AG . They don’t buy back properties.

     Morris is the deep pockets ... OP will file BK is my guess.. 

  • Mike D'ArrigoPro Member
    Turn key provider · San Jose, CA · Member since 2010 · 4k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Matt K.:

    When does the class action lawsuit start?

    When do the handcuffs go on?

  • Mike D'ArrigoPro Member
    Turn key provider · San Jose, CA · Member since 2010 · 4k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Damian Robinson:

    Paid for the whole house in total.

     I know it doesn't do you any good now but this is exactly why you should never pay up front. You should only pay in draws with proof of performance for each draw. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.