$130,000 Profit from first House Hack

$130,000 Profit from first House Hack

Jordan MoorheadBusiness Member
Real Estate Agent · Austin, TX · Member since 2015 · 5k+ posts · 3k+ votes

Case Study for Houshacking in Minneapolis, Minnesota:

Bought a duplex for 3.5% down on an FHA mortgage: $6370

Rehab said duplex: roughly $10,000. This consisted of carpet, laminate floors and paint in the lower unit, countertops, backsplash, appliances, tile in bathroom floor and shower surround. 

Also paid for was furniture for two Airbnb rooms, roughly $1600.

Lucky for me we had a hail storm and I was able to get the siding replaced for $1200 deductible.

PITI: $1230
Water, sewer, trash: $150
Internet: $90
Gas: $80-100
Electric: $70

Rent from upstairs unit: $1100
Rent from roommate in lower unit: $450
Rent from Airbnb room in lower unit: $600

My rents were low for Northeast Minneapolis because of the condition of the exterior of the home when I rented it and giving my roommate a great deal. Should have been $1200 and $600 for room.

Gross rent: $2150
Expenses: $1640

Profit: $500 a month + free rent (savings of $1250 per month)

$6000 profit per year, $15,000 savings per year = $21,000 extra in disposable income per year.

Initial purchase price of $182,000
Sales price of $326,000

After realtor fees and closing costs a profit of $129,000. I didn't take a commission of course so add about $9k to this for everyone else.

During the almost two years of owning the place I was able to live for free, learn how to be a landlord, buy a 6 plex in Louisville, KY and travel quite a bit more than I had in the past. If I wasn't in town I just rented out the room that I stayed in on Airbnb, which covered a chunk of travel expense. 

I have two more 6 plexes under contract in Louisville and will be using the proceeds from this plus savings to purchase those through a 5/25 commercial loan with US Bank.

This strategy is so simple and even if you can't make it work in your market where you live absolutely for "free" you can still have many benefits such as loan paydown, depreciation for tax purposes, appreciation, landlord experience and a reduced living expense.

Was what I did always comfortable? No. Not at all. 

Am I going to do it again and for as long as I can? Hell yes.

51Reply
210 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Minneapolis, MN · Member since 2014 · 743 posts · 927 votes
8y

@John Woodrich

The only thing I'd do different that John Woodrich mentioned is I'd wait for the 2 year for no tax or in my case whenever I BRRR- sell after 1 year and a day to utilize long term capital gains. I've stacked my renovations and take them in order so I'm never paying 25% fed, 8% state, and 15% SS= 48% tax rate on profits but rather 15% fed and 8% state= 23% total tax rate. My Dad taught me, it's not how much you make but rather how much you keep of what you make so my deals sometimes utilize 1031 exchanges to avoid taxes all together when it makes sense. good job Jordan.

See this reply in the discussion

57 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Flipper/Rehabber · Minneapolis, MN · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    8y

    Great write up but you should have tried making it to the 2 year mark to exclude some gain!!  But I understand - can't let the tax tail wag the dog.  I personally am OK selling flips and paying ordinary rates when it makes sense to avoid market and tenant risk.

  • Investor · Minnetonka, MN · Member since 2016 · 123 posts · 86 votes
    8y

    Congrats, @Jordan Moorhead - that profit will help you get into some more properties!

  • Rental Property Investor · Chicago, IL · Member since 2017 · 83 posts · 46 votes
    8y

    Congrats man! I have just started investing and bought my first property in November of last year and it has already appreciated about 30k. I guess the neighborhood is really coming up!

  • Realtor · Minneapolis, MN · Member since 2017 · 47 posts · 30 votes
    8y

    Congrats Jordan! That's awesome man. Keep up the hard work!

  • Professional Engineer · Minneapolis, MN · Member since 2017 · 117 posts · 75 votes
    8y

    Fantastic @Jordan Moorhead, inspiration for all. 

  • Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2018 · 23 posts · 14 votes
    8y

    @Jordan Moorhead Awesome Case Study, congratulations. Do you manage the Airbnb guests and operations yourself?

  • Realtor · Minneapolis, MN · Member since 2012 · 27 posts · 11 votes
    8y

    Congrats, and I love the write up!

    Are you going to Househack another one in Minneapolis?

  • Jordan MoorheadBusiness Member
    OP
    Real Estate Agent · Austin, TX · Member since 2015 · 5k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    8y

    @James Clifford yes. I put a lockbox on to make check in easy and  it wasn't a lot of work after that.

    @Isaac Braun thanks man!

    @Matt A. yes I'll be househacking again

  • Louisville, KY · Member since 2013 · 21 posts · 1 vote
    8y

    Awesome Jordan, 

    What part of Louisville are your 6 plex's in?

  • New York, NY · Member since 2017 · 19 posts · 9 votes
    8y

    And how did you find the Louisville 6 plex's?  Looking for some myself...

  • Jordan MoorheadBusiness Member
    OP
    Real Estate Agent · Austin, TX · Member since 2015 · 5k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    8y

    @Ryan Weddle my father is a realtor down there and he's found all of them for me. 

  • Jordan MoorheadBusiness Member
    OP
    Real Estate Agent · Austin, TX · Member since 2015 · 5k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    8y

    @Jeffrey Hall 40218 off of Newburg Rd

  • Investor · Minneapolis, MN · Member since 2014 · 743 posts · 927 votes
    8y

    @John Woodrich

    The only thing I'd do different that John Woodrich mentioned is I'd wait for the 2 year for no tax or in my case whenever I BRRR- sell after 1 year and a day to utilize long term capital gains. I've stacked my renovations and take them in order so I'm never paying 25% fed, 8% state, and 15% SS= 48% tax rate on profits but rather 15% fed and 8% state= 23% total tax rate. My Dad taught me, it's not how much you make but rather how much you keep of what you make so my deals sometimes utilize 1031 exchanges to avoid taxes all together when it makes sense. good job Jordan.

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Minneapolis, MN · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    8y

    @Bruce Runn

    Sounds like Jordan may have waited long enough to get capital gains treatment but it would have helped a little if he did a partial 1031 into one of the new properties. Great result either way.

    I ate the tax on a flip last year.  Figure 10% higher tax (cap gains vs ordinary) and SE tax isn't too bad If someone is over the Social Security limit however still sucks paying it.  In my case my wife designed the house with cararra marble counters, farmhouse sink, etc which are prone to staining and scratching.  We had plenty of profit and I just wanted to avoid the tenant risk.  One year and a day is a good strategy.

  • Moncton, NB · Member since 2017 · 9 posts · 3 votes
    8y
    Awesome story. I am currently doing my first house hack and living for free. It's such a great feeling!
  • Jordan MoorheadBusiness Member
    OP
    Real Estate Agent · Austin, TX · Member since 2015 · 5k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    8y

    @Davis Flanagan it's not bad! I'm back paying rent for a bit and not liking it one bit.

    @John Woodrich @Bruce Runn I did a 1031 on this one and was within the two year mark. What I learned is that with a duplex you only get the exemption on the part you lived in.

  • Investor · Minneapolis, MN · Member since 2014 · 743 posts · 927 votes
    8y

    @Jordan Moorhead

    Way to optimize profits!!

  • Real Estate Agent · Minneapolis, MN · Member since 2016 · 361 posts · 296 votes
    8y

    Fantastic play, Jordan! Keep it rolling!

  • Minneapolis, Minneaota · Member since 2018 · 14 posts · 7 votes
    8y

    Awesome success story and case study! Great inspiration for those of us just looking to get started investing.

  • Member since 2017 · 2 posts · 0 votes
    8y

    This is motivating! I currently live abroad for work (no housing expense) but will be returning to the states in about 5 months.. I hope I can do something similar! 

  • New to Real Estate · Jacksonville, FL · Member since 2016 · 1 post · 0 votes
    8y

    I don’t get it.

  • Real Estate Investor · Coopersburg, PA · Member since 2017 · 120 posts · 61 votes
    8y

    congrats

  • Rental Property Investor · Boston, MA · Member since 2017 · 39 posts · 10 votes
    8y

    Great job Jordan!  Congrats.

  • Louisville, KY · Member since 2017 · 6 posts · 0 votes
    8y

    Just a quick note about shirt-term rentals in Louisville...they are illegal in multi-family dwellings (3+ units under one roof). Only single family and duplexes under residential zoning. Commercial zoning is more lenient. 

  • Washington, DC · Member since 2017 · 19 posts · 17 votes
    8y

    That's great man. Congrats on this one, and for many more hacks!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.