Closing Cost Credit for Repairs Greater than Closing Costs

Closing Cost Credit for Repairs Greater than Closing Costs

Member since 2017 · 3 posts · 0 votes
Hi All, I am in contract to purchase a 2-family property. I am financing the purchase with a 3.5% down FHA mortgage. Through my due diligence I discovered repairs needed and have agreed upon a credit from Seller in the amount of $25,000. My expected closing costs are about $15,000. That leaves me with $10,000 that I need to receive as a credit. I am unwilling to accept a purchase price reduction in the amount of $10,000 because of how highly leveraged I am. A $10,000 price reduction will only save me $350, meaning I will still have to come out of pocket about $10,000 greater than underwritten, when it comes time to do the repairs. I do not want to purchase the property if I have to exceed my underwriting in this fashion. So the question is, how can I creatively structure the $10,000 Seller credit so that it directly offsets my costs to perform the repair work after closing? I have explored the concept with my lender of the $10,000 being disbursed to an escrow account at closing for post-closing repairs but they have indicated that this will lead to the Lender needing to do further diligence on the repairs, perform inspections, etc. all of which will kill the deal for me, because I need to close in the next week. Can I have a side agreement with the Seller that after closing they will distribute an extra $10,000 back to me? How else can this be achieved?
0Reply
74 views

Most Popular Reply

Chris MasonPro Member
Moderator
Lender · CA · Member since 2015 · 9k+ posts · 10k+ votes
8y

Without breaking the rules/laws, there's not really a way to get the $10k in your pocket at closing. You didn't post the purchase price, but $25k may even be over the FHA seller credit cap anyways (don't worry, if your LO and/or real estate agent didn't catch it upfront then I'm sure the underwriter will... at the last second :P ).

Various things you can do to put the $10k to work.

- Get the most expensive insurance policy your carrier offers, since you will be paying the first 12 months upfront. Ask your insurance agent what happens if you downgrade the policy after closing -- you might like the answer, even if the insurance agent isn't going to like it.

- Pay the FHA UFMIP upfront. This is money you will get back when you go to sell, since now you are less in debt.

- Most common is to buy the rate down. Discount points. No $10k in your pocket today, but the savings will add up to >$10k over the life of the loan. 

- Ask your lender if they are 100% certain they are collecting ALL the property taxes they can for the impound account. Impound accounts are audited annually, and if it's over-funded you get a refund check.

See this reply in the discussion

8 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Chris MasonPro Member
    Moderator
    Lender · CA · Member since 2015 · 9k+ posts · 10k+ votes
    8y

    Without breaking the rules/laws, there's not really a way to get the $10k in your pocket at closing. You didn't post the purchase price, but $25k may even be over the FHA seller credit cap anyways (don't worry, if your LO and/or real estate agent didn't catch it upfront then I'm sure the underwriter will... at the last second :P ).

    Various things you can do to put the $10k to work.

    - Get the most expensive insurance policy your carrier offers, since you will be paying the first 12 months upfront. Ask your insurance agent what happens if you downgrade the policy after closing -- you might like the answer, even if the insurance agent isn't going to like it.

    - Pay the FHA UFMIP upfront. This is money you will get back when you go to sell, since now you are less in debt.

    - Most common is to buy the rate down. Discount points. No $10k in your pocket today, but the savings will add up to >$10k over the life of the loan. 

    - Ask your lender if they are 100% certain they are collecting ALL the property taxes they can for the impound account. Impound accounts are audited annually, and if it's over-funded you get a refund check.

  • Rental Property Investor · DFW, TX · Member since 2013 · 953 posts · 910 votes
    8y
    Can you have the seller pay your contractors ahead of time? You would really have to trust your contractors that they would not take the money and run. You said you have to close next week but can the seller just do the repairs now? I'm not familiar with the FHA rules but when I bought my house with a VA loan I got a check at closing because I increased the purchase price by the same amount that I asked for in seller closing credits. Luckily it appraised.
  • Real Estate Professional · West Palm Beach, FL · Member since 2012 · 23k+ posts · 13k+ votes
    8y
    Use the escrow route....get the seller to delay closing as a closing 2-3 weeks from now is better than starting over.
  • Real Estate Professional · West Palm Beach, FL · Member since 2012 · 23k+ posts · 13k+ votes
    8y
    Agree with Chris, expect the credit being larger than your closing cost to be a problem, at the last minute.
  • Investor · Wichita, KS · Member since 2017 · 293 posts · 192 votes
    8y
    Chris may be right. Not sure what your purchase price is, but the FHA loan has the most liberal amount a buyer can ask for seller credits being up to 6% of the loan costs. So that means you will need to have a loan of at least $416,666.67 to get the entire credit, otherwise you have negotiated an impossibility.
  • Member since 2017 · 3 posts · 0 votes
    8y
    Thanks for the responses. The purchase price is $665k so now worries about exceeding a closing cost credit cap. I appreciate the suggestions but unfortunately none of them accomplish my goal. The Seller won’t agree to pay the contractor ahead of closing, out of pocket. If I ask them to do it at closing, then I’m back to the same issue where it appears on the closing statement. The other suggestions are good, creative ways to”ultimately” receive the benefit of the $10k but none of them will allow me to immediately offset my repair costs, which is my goal.
  • Rental Property Investor · Chicago, IL · Member since 2019 · 35 posts · 23 votes
    6y

    @Alex Roth I’m currently in this sane situation. How did this work out for you? Did you find a cure or did you walk away from the deal?

  • Member since 2017 · 3 posts · 0 votes
    6y

    @Justin Carter The money was released to my attorney’s escrow account at closing. After closing and completing the work, the money was released to me. It definitely required some flexibility and creativity from all involved

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.