Investing in New Zealand

Investing in New Zealand

Member since 2018 · 6 posts · 0 votes

Investment Info:

Small multi-family (2-4 units) buy & hold investment.

Purchase price: $120,000
Cash invested: $12,000

I purchased a two-unit property in small-town New Zealand. It was formerly used for government housing. I wrangled the paperwork, divided the property into two titles, and sold off one unit. Not only did I pay off the entire loan, but I also had $40,000 leftover and a rental property producing weekly income (covers my petrol bill!).

0Reply
13 views

Most Popular Reply

Specialist · Memphis, TN · Member since 2012 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
7y

Watch your tenants in Tokoroa @Jeremy Christian, my son lives there, it's a rough town these days.

See this reply in the discussion

5 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Hadar OrkibiPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · USA / NZ · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 812 votes
    7y

    @Jeremy Christian how much did "dividing the property cost" ? 

    what town was it in? 

    what materiel construction were the units? 

  • Member since 2018 · 6 posts · 0 votes
    7y

    Hi Hadar,

    It was in a town called Tokoroa - a former forestry town. Units were timber. I use the word "dividing" because nothing physically changed for the properties - only the legal titles. I was fortunate in that they both had separate services (electricity, water meter) and a proper firewall between the units.

    Here's a rough breakdown of costs:

    - fire inpsection report $800

    - council submissions (this can vary wildly) $3300

    - beers to keep things moving and costs down $240

    I'm fortunate in that the building inspector for the council is my friend's brother-in-law. In small town NZ this can affect the pricing significantly. This has been my only deal so far. I'm looking hoepfully for someone more knowledgable who's willing to help me invest in USA for cashflow?

  • Specialist · Memphis, TN · Member since 2012 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7y

    Watch your tenants in Tokoroa @Jeremy Christian, my son lives there, it's a rough town these days.

  • Member since 2018 · 6 posts · 0 votes
    7y

    Hi Dean

    Would you be willing to have a chat with me privately about investing in USA?

  • Specialist · Memphis, TN · Member since 2012 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7y

    Of course. I am actually in Fiji currently but we can skype or call.  Message me here.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.