My first Duplex- FHA House Hack Case Study with Tips

My first Duplex- FHA House Hack Case Study with Tips

Real Estate Agent · Willoughby, OH · Member since 2014 · 560 posts · 690 votes

I have now been living in my FHA-purchased duplex for 6 months, and I wanted to share the story to encourage those who have been waiting on the sidelines stuck trying to figure out how to get started. If you read the forums and blogs on BiggerPockets often, you will no doubt have read many folks touting the FHA 2/3/4 unit ‘house hack' as the best way to get started in real estate. I am here to reiterate this point with a case study of my experience over the past year where I purchased my first duplex.

My first purchase after getting settled into a nice 9-5 job, like many people, was a single family home that was near the top of my price point ability, which crippled my ability to save money for outside investments. Many people fall for this trap, and I was in it. I purchased this home in 2012 and lived there for 5 years. After reading on BP for years, in 2016 I knew it was time to get in gear and make some important decisions and moves. I searched for a 2/3/4 unit for a while, but could not find anything in my area that met my criteria and also was in a location where I wanted to reside. Even though I could not find anything then, I knew I at least needed to sell my current home to get the ball rolling. I ended up selling my single family home in 2017, and moved into a rental until I was able to find a suitable multi-family. I planned to be there temporarily while searching, and purposefully entered into a month to month agreement so I could move out as soon as I found a small multifamily to buy and move into.

During this timeframe, while I do have a nice 9-5 job in a corporate environment, I made the effort to go to the classes and pass the state test required to get my real estate license. I knew this would help me in my quest for a multifamily, and also I would be able to do a couple of transactions a year for friends which would cover my yearly fee’s.

I now had access to the MLS and was ready to pounce when a good multifamily hit the market… I waited and waited for one to pop into my pre-set auto email MLS search… nothing. After waiting for over a year, I took advice from BP and did a mini off market mailing campaign. This was not hard and was accomplished in less than 5 hours of labor. I scrubbed the county auditors website and made a list of 60 properties from 2-4 units that I was interested in. I printed out letters, and hand wrote addresses on the envelopes (good *TIP* from BP for higher open rate. This would be time consuming on a larger campaign, but 60 was easily manageable). After dropping the letters in the mailbox, I knew I had taken an easy step forward in my quest. After 1 week, I received about 8 phone calls from the 60 that were sent out. I filtered out the one’s with high asking prices, and ended up viewing 3 in person.

One of the duplexes had been owned by the same owners for 40 years, the husband had managed the property for the entirety up until he passed away 5 years ago. His wife had moved in and was managing the other side with the help of her son. They called me up and said that they were thinking of listing the place in the next few months and that my letter arrived at the perfect time. Score! After viewing twice, I began the negotiations with her son who happened to previously work for a mortgage division at a bank. I was not looking to low-ball this sweet old lady in order to get the property for a steal, but was willing to make a fair offer for a nicely kept place that would suit my needs and was in a great location.

This duplex was in a row of 7 other identical properties, the one next door having sold two years prior. A comparable was easy, and a price was settled upon. The next door property had sold for 165k two years prior, was not nearly as nice on the interior, and this property had a larger lot size. The seller had also spent $20k 4 years prior to have some updates done to the kitchens and baths. Since the property was off market, and I have my license, I was able to leverage myself a little bit as she was not having to pay any realtor fees, which would have amounted to roughly 10k. While making my offer, I made sure to mention that if they had listed the property on the market, they would have to ask about 10k more in order to make up the cost of realtor fees. We settled on 180k with 5k back in seller paid closing costs. Structuring the price point a tinch higher, while including closing costs and prepaid fees, is a good way to minimize cash outlay required for the purchase. *TIP* This extra money for closing costs is 5k less out of your pocket that is rolled into a 30 year loan at a low interest rate, definitely a good strategy to use to minimize the cash needed to close.

The transaction went smooth with the bank. The appraisal came in at 175k. I did attempt to ask them to come down and meet me halfway, but it was reasonable that they did not want to since I had worked 5k of closing costs in. We agreed to 175k with no closing cost assistance. *TIP* I purposely set the closing date for the 5th of the month and here is why. My mortgage payment would not be due until the 1st of the month, while I would receive pro-rated rent from the tenant for the 5th-31st. This helps to minimize cash required at closing as a credit is given back for the rent that had been payed to the seller for that month. I closed with about 10k required out of pocket including the down payment of 3.5% and closing costs.

$10,000 was it!

I was now the owner of a solid 1964 brick 3 bed 2 bath (each unit) duplex with a 2 car garage in a very solid location. Central air on both sides, full basements, concrete driveway, extra lot for parking, it was a great property for me to cut my teeth on. Being an FHA owner occupied loan, I was required to move into the property and stay for one year. My plan is to satisfy this requirement and purchase my next home at that mark and move out, leaving both units open to rent. I will keep this as an investment property for a long time. If I had attempted to make this purchase with a conventional loan, generally requiring 20% down, I would have been out of pocket around 40k. This avenue of purchasing a first investment property with an FHA loan, in my opinion, cannot be beat.

While I did inherit a tenant in the open side, she decided to move out after 1 month of me owning the property. (she was a friend of the seller and was paying below market rent anyway). I did not have any major repairs to perform, mostly just cleaning. I have since placed a new tenant in the other unit, and while the rent does not cover my entire monthly payment, it is a very large chunk of it.

The top level numbers:

30 YR FHA loan rate: 5.25%

Purchase price $175,000

Monthly PITI+FHA MIP (principal, interest, tax, insurance, FHA mortgage insurance premium): $1375

Rent: $1075

I am now essentially paying $300 a month for the cost of living in my unit. Once I move out, the monthly rent will be $2150.

After gaining 20% in equity, my plan is to refinance out of the FHA loan which will rid the monthly FHA PMI cost of $140, taking my payment down to $1235.

The in depth numbers that nobody talks about (except the realists on BP):

Monthly rent: $2150

Monthly PITI+FHA PMI: $1375

Expense estimates: $560 (details below)

  1. Capital expenditures (roof, HVAC, etc) @ 8%: $172
  2. Maintenance (repairs, leaks, etc) @ 5%: $108
  3. Vacancy @ 5%: $108
  4. Property Mgmt @ 8%: $172

    (all utilities, trash, lawn care, and snow removal are tenant responsibilities. These must be accounted for if the owner is responsible for paying them and are easily missed)

While I self-manage for now to save money, including the management cost is important because eventually I will want to hire this out. If you do not include this number and plan to self-manage forever, you are basically buying yourself a new job with each property you purchase. The investment needs to stand on its own, and so this number should be included.

Rent minus all expenses including debt service: $215 monthly cash flow.

After refinancing out of FHA and MIP this should increase to $355 monthly cash flow.

There you have it! Easy as pie :)

Lessons learned:

  • Don't wait for the market to provide easily picked properties from the MLS. Do the work to seek out potential off market properties. My county auditor's site had a great reporting structure which allowed me to export my search results into excel. 5 hours of labor and $50 for materials and my letters were sent.
  • I waited years before taking action, it turned out to not be hard at all. I read and read on BP, but never did anything with my newly gained knowledge and waited for something to fall in my lap. Get out there and make something happen, don’t let fear stop you.
  • Even though my numbers turned out good, if you are using FHA and moving into a property, don't let decent numbers slip away while waiting for the perfect deal. If you are paying rent currently, and can get into a duplex property where your portion is way less than that amount, then you are saving money comparatively. The 2% rule is a unicorn in many markets for a property that is going to be nice enough for you to want to move in yourself and your family.
  • Getting my real estate license was not hard, just time consuming on the front end. Even if you acquire it and only work as an agent for a year or two, you will gain an immense amount of knowledge on the process. At the least, become friends with a real estate or title agent who can help you understand the process and can refer you to other professionals that you might need along the way.
  • Don't let MIP/PMI scare you away from an FHA loan. Yes, this insurance premium is an extra monthly cost that you would not incur if you put 20% down and go conventional, but the tenants are going to be paying it for you. Getting a 3.5% down loan, at near historic low interest rates, is one of the best ways out there to get started. A borrowed quote: Don't wait to buy real estate, buy real estate and wait.

Thank you BiggerPockets!

213Reply
1,630 views

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Broker · Concord, NC · Member since 2016 · 2 posts · 9 votes
7y

Very detailed and Motivational! Thank you for sharing!! 

See this reply in the discussion

248 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Agent · Willoughby, OH · Member since 2014 · 560 posts · 690 votes
    7y

    @Bill Goodland No problem doing an FHA loan without an agent.

    @Mila Tokmakova You are correct that PMI stays with the life of the FHA loan. But if you are refinancing out of the FHA loan into a conventional loan then you wont have to pay the PMI anymore. It is a replacement of the first loan. Pre-2012 the PMI would automatically drop off at 20% equity with an FHA loan, but like you said, they changed it to remain for the life of the FHA loan which is unfortunate.

  • Real Estate Agent · Willoughby, OH · Member since 2014 · 560 posts · 690 votes
    7y

    Some additional pictures showing the exterior and interior condition of the currently rented unit. 

  • Investor · Youngstown, OH · Member since 2017 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    7y

    I've been house hacking a SFH for about 2-1/2 years now, and I wish I had found BP prior. I'm about to make the move into MFH, and I'm so excited to see your post and your success!

  • Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2017 · 46 posts · 32 votes
    7y

    Why did you choose 8% for CapEx? Are there any big expenditures you are expecting in the near future?

    Are you planning on changing this amount once you refinance?

  • Rental Property Investor · Oreland, PA · Member since 2017 · 51 posts · 32 votes
    7y

    Fantastic! I appreciated all the details you provided. Everything was very clear and easy to follow. Congratulations on taking action!

  • Member since 2018 · 1 post · 0 votes
    7y

    Thanks for sharing!!! I'm inspired to pursue again...

    Veronica Gonzalez

  • Investor · Tempe, AZ · Member since 2018 · 41 posts · 17 votes
    7y

    Awesome inspiring post, congratulations and thanks for sharing. I'm sure this will help a lot of others take action.

  • St. Petersburg, FL · Member since 2015 · 317 posts · 71 votes
    7y

    @Jeff Brower Thanks for the info. I am looking at FHA for my next investment. I guess the only drawback that I see from FHA is that you cannot buy homes with any forms of distress so it is harder to find a home under market value. Like you said, home has to be move in ready and in good condition for FHA inspection to pass. So you are using FHA to obtain an asset for a low upfront cost but will have to search off market, like you did, to find the homes that make it worthwhile.

  • Rental Property Investor · Ward, AR · Member since 2018 · 1 post · 0 votes
    7y
    @Jeff Brower Thanks for the tips!
  • Member since 2018 · 1 post · 0 votes
    7y

    I’m really new to real estate investment, I love your plan since it’s very similar to what I was planning as my first time investment. My biggest confusion was on your monthly cash flow after expenses, could you please clarify why it’s only the $215-$355? Thank you. 

  • Member since 2018 · 2 posts · 0 votes
    7y

    Wonderful :)

  • Baton Rouge, LA · Member since 2018 · 34 posts · 12 votes
    7y

    Great post, Jeff!

    I am so excited to start out my investing journey as you did. Posts like this are extremely helpful and motivational to someone like me who hasn't completed their first deal.

    Kudos!

  • Real Estate Agent · Willoughby, OH · Member since 2014 · 560 posts · 690 votes
    7y

    @George Herrera Many people fall into a trap thinking that total rent minus your monthly payment is your monthly cash flow. You must include some factors for other items that will cost you money in the real world. Furnaces break, roofs leak, tenants move out, etc. Adding in commonly used expense percentages helps to paint the real picture. If you search on these forums you will see more on averages that people use. The BP rental property calculator available on here also has inputs for these various expenses. Better to account for real future expenses that are bound to happen than to put on blinders and end up not being able to make payments. 

  • Miami, FL · Member since 2018 · 55 posts · 24 votes
    7y
    @Jeff Brower I’m just wondering why nobody (very few at least) house hack the rooms in their house. I’m wondering if most already have a wife and kids which would be understandable. But I have had roommates ever since I left home and joined he military and afterwards. Granted, I have lived in expensive places ( Long Island and Miami) where it was basically necessary. In Miami you can rent a room in a house for $550 on the low end.
  • Dusty CadyPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Reno, NV · Member since 2013 · 52 posts · 10 votes
    7y

    @Jeff Brower Thanks for sharing! I just got an offer accepted on a duplex yesterday that I will be doing the same thing with. Going to end up paying $500/month out of pocket! Pretty stoked. 

  • Real Estate Agent · Willoughby, OH · Member since 2014 · 560 posts · 690 votes
    7y

    I have had some inquiries on the format of letter that I used to make contact with owners of multifamily properties that I found on the auditors site. Below is a snapshot of my letter with a couple of items omitted. If you are not a real estate agent, this is not a problem! Just omit any mention of that point, but you can still mention that the seller would save $ vs listing on the market because you would be dealing direct and can essentially bypass agents (if they desire, or say you have no problem if they want to be represented for safety, they key is making them comfortable). I sent out a letter to 3/4 unit owners prior to this letter which was aimed just at duplexes. Since I didn't get any good leads from my first letter on 3/4 unit properties, I lowered my search down to 2 unit properties.

    TIPS:

    1. Mention you are not looking to buy and sell aka flip. Mention you want to hold it for a long time. Let them know where you found their contact information so they are not angry that their address may be out for who-knows-who to find. They will feel better knowing exactly how you were able to reach them.

    2. Let them know that you filtered down a big list and still are interested in their property, this lets them know that you are seriously interested and aren't sending out thousands of letters looking to snag something at a low price.

    3. Tell them you will pay a fair value, nobody wants someone who is going to lowball them.

    4. Be personable, let them know what you do, that you are local, etc. You are local and not an 'out of state investor shark', this is to your advantage. Make this known.

    5. At the end (if they are not interested) ask them to keep your business card or contact info in their junk drawer, you never know in 5-20 years from now if they will pull out your info and call.

    6. Ask them (if they are not interested), if they know anybody else with a multifamily who is looking to sell. Generally folks who own 2-4 unit properties know others who do as well.

    7. I said this before but will mention again, hand address these for a better open rate. You can print the letter and the return address sticky label, but hand print the to address. Also sign each letter in ink at the bottom near your salutation.

    8. Give them multiple ways to contact you, and let them know they can do it at their convenience. Email, call, or text. I would rather text someone than call, this may make them more likely to contact you.

    9. If you have your license, let them know that you will be using all official broker forms. This puts people at ease. If you are not an agent, work with a lawyer to draft documents if needed and let the seller know this. This step lets the potential seller know that you are not going to try to pull anything fast on them. It makes them more comfortable.

    10. Let them know that you are trying to build a positive financial future for yourself and/or your family via rental property. Many of these folks were in the same shoes in the past, and people like to help others who are vulnerable enough to mention they are new and getting started. They will be more willing to talk if they see a past version of themselves within you. This is a step that is genuine and true but many people don't want to make themselves look like a newbie. Turn it around and use it to your advantage because this is the truth.

    Hope this helps!

  • Lincoln, NE · Member since 2017 · 18 posts · 4 votes
    7y

    Please forgive my naivety, but could someone explain what a 2/3/4 unit is to me? 

  • Rental Property Investor · Bardstown, KY · Member since 2018 · 14 posts · 3 votes
    7y

    This is me exactly (before you really took action). I have been waiting for that perfect deal to pop up. Looks like I need to educate myself on direct mail marketing. I think I needed to see this, thank you!

    @Jeff Brower do you have a link to the thread you referenced on the mini off market mailing campaign?

  • Rental Property Investor · Bardstown, KY · Member since 2018 · 14 posts · 3 votes
    7y

    @Tim Woosley

    A 2/3/4 unit is referring to a small multifamily building with 2, 3, or 4 units (duplex, triplex, fourplex). These smaller, 2-4 unit multi-family buildings are considered residential buildings and qualify for residential loans like the FHA loan mentioned here, or even the USDA loan for rural areas. 5+ units moves over into the commercial space and is limited to commercial loans.

    Hope this helps clear things up!

  • Parsippany, NJ · Member since 2016 · 64 posts · 49 votes
    7y

    Love that you sold your SFR and moved into a rental.

    Burn the ships!

  • Rental Property Investor · Chicago · Member since 2018 · 74 posts · 67 votes
    7y
    @Jeff Brower I love this post, I am in the process of doing the same thing. My loan was a FHA 203k, in the middle of rehab right now! Things are a little bumpy with the contractor but I’m getting that resolved! Very motivational story for me!
  • Lincoln, NE · Member since 2017 · 18 posts · 4 votes
    7y

    Thanks for defining that for me, @Michael Kelley. I appreciate it!

  • Rental Property Investor · Union, KY · Member since 2018 · 33 posts · 22 votes
    7y

    Wow! Nice job Jeff. Thank you very much for sharing this journey with us. The information was very educational and helpful. 

  • New to Real Estate · Charlotte, NC · Member since 2018 · 19 posts · 5 votes
    7y

    @Jeff Brower Wow, congrats! A nice cash flowing house hack for your first deal.

    I'd like to do something similar for my first investment.

  • Specialist · Carlsbad, CA · Member since 2018 · 1k+ posts · 638 votes
    7y

    @Jeff Brower thank you for sharing!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.