Historic Renovation in Jacksonville Market

Historic Renovation in Jacksonville Market

Flipper/Rehabber · Jacksonville, FL · Member since 2019 · 5 posts · 1 vote

Investment Info:

Single-family residence fix & flip investment in Jacksonville.

Purchase price: $100,000

Cash invested: $50,000

historic renovation built in 1924

What made you interested in investing in this type of deal?

I have a passion for historic homes and development of Jacksonville’s urban core. This deal was great because it was located right by downtown in the trendy riverside area. Although the property needed a lot of work, the electrical, plumbing, HVAC, and roof were all circa 2007 allowing me to do a live -in Flip, taking advantage of homestead exemptions and casually renting the spare room to friends before renovations got too involved

How did you find this deal and how did you negotiate it?

Found on Zillow, it was a short sale and needed a lot of work so I negotiated down from $125M

How did you finance this deal?

FHA initially, conventional refi to pull cash out

How did you add value to the deal?

SWEAT EQUITY, I had extensive construction experience at the time of purchase but no money( thanks student loans). I have personally rehabbed every aspect solo with the exception of drywall (yuck) and removing load bearing walls (had engineering plans drafted)

What was the outcome?

Current value is approximately $220-250M If I sell or would command rent of $1,600 a month vs $900 mortgage if I don’t.

Lessons learned? Challenges?

I picked a very difficult property for my first deal that had all  the usual challenges that come with renovating a 100 year old house. Biggest lesson is that you should never do every thing yourself, My time as an investor is too valuable to be replacing siding personally. I will be letting my money do the heavy lifting (literally) next time and focus on developing my skill set as an investor, using money and my network to generate wealth while compressing the time it takes to get there.

Did you work with any real estate professionals (agents, lenders, etc.) that you'd recommend to others?

Radek Goodman, he was originally my mortgage officer for Acopia but is now an agent working for Exit Real Estate Gallery. I had to do minor repairs on the property in order clear FHA loan requirements and he personally helped me pulled rotted siding.

1Reply
16 views

5 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Broker · Jacksonville, FL · Member since 2018 · 53 posts · 31 votes
    7y

    @Andrew Boehmer Doesn't sound like too bad of a first deal!  Congrats on getting the ball rolling and I hope you can keep up the momentum.  Do you know which way you are leaning in regards to sell vs rent?  

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Jacksonville, FL · Member since 2019 · 5 posts · 1 vote
    7y

    Hey Matthew thanks for reaching out!  It’s a tough call on the sell /rent decision, I may be leaning more towards rent or house hacking.  Even though Jacksonville has a ways to go, a premium property near a downtown is going to be hard to replicate going forward.  I’ve also given thought to Air BnB the spare room.  Jax isn’t exactly Miami but we have world class medical care and families of let’s say a cancer patient that travelled for care need lower costs options for lodging than a hotel.  I see you’re a realtor, how long have you been in business? 

  • Real Estate Broker · Jacksonville, FL · Member since 2014 · 78 posts · 54 votes
    7y

    Andrew contracts on the Riverside project! I did one last year and was presented with a Preservation Award from the city. You should see about nominating it (if it falls within the district) for this years awards, I think you have until March. 

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Jacksonville, FL · Member since 2019 · 5 posts · 1 vote
    7y

    @Ryan Robbins thanks Ryan I’ll look into it, do you happen to know the qualifying criteria? I went through the COA process on my exterior so I would think that would put me in a good light.

  • Real Estate Broker · Jacksonville, FL · Member since 2014 · 78 posts · 54 votes
    7y

    I'll PM some info

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.