First Deal: Tax Lien in Atlanta

First Deal: Tax Lien in Atlanta

Ashleigh EvansPro Member
Investor · New Haven, CT · Member since 2016 · 62 posts · 15 votes

Investment Info:

Single-family residence buy & hold investment in Atlanta.

Purchase price: $5,000
Cash invested: $50,000

I bought this property as a tax lien in July 2015. There is a great post on BP about buying a tax lien in Fulton County. My grace period ended in July 2016 and I began renovation December 2016. I’ve had a tenant since May 2017.

What made you interested in investing in this type of deal?

This was the first type of "REI" strategy I'd ever heard of. I met someone who told me they'd teach me everything I'd need to know, so I listened.

How did you find this deal and how did you negotiate it?

Raised my hand at an auction. Didn’t even know which house I bought (don’t do this).

How did you finance this deal?

Cash - it was 5000.
I took out a personal loan for the rehab (don’t do this either, at least not if the interest rate is going to be 13.5%)

How did you add value to the deal?

I didn’t.

What was the outcome?

My first tenant moves out in March. There’s no mortgage on the house, and she paid $995/mo

Lessons learned? Challenges?

If you have any questions, just message me!

Did you work with any real estate professionals (agents, lenders, etc.) that you'd recommend to others?

Kerry Greaves was my GC. He’s also an interior decorator, and he was AMAZING. Definitely a good person for first time rehabbers in Atlanta.

1Reply
5 views

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Agent · Smyrna, GA · Member since 2014 · 185 posts · 101 votes
7y

Thanks for sharing @Ashleigh Evans. Have you purchased any other tax liens in GA since then? I know the listings are supposed to be posted on the newspapers website prior to the auction but if there are any tips you can give to navigating figuring out what’s for auction that month would be great. 

See this reply in the discussion

7 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Ashleigh EvansPro Member
    OP
    Investor · New Haven, CT · Member since 2016 · 62 posts · 15 votes
    7y
  • Bill HamptonBusiness Member
    Accredited Investment Fiduciary, AIF®, Financial Planner, Tax Strategist, Real Estate Investor · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2012 · 2k+ posts · 977 votes
    7y

    Congratulations Ashleigh Evans. Good luck with your future endeavors.

    Hampton Tax and Financial Services LLC4.7106 Reviews
  • Contractor · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2014 · 130 posts · 25 votes
    7y

    Ashleigh,

    Nice facts and nice rehab.

  • Specialist · Phoenix, AZ · Member since 2011 · 698 posts · 629 votes
    7y

    @Ashleigh Evans, Thanks for sharing. What is the current value of the home? What are your plans for this home (keep as rental, sell, other)? Are you going to do this method again? What do you think was the reason this home was not redeemed by the owner versus most other tax lien homes that are redeemed? 

    Great story, congratulations!

  • Ashleigh EvansPro Member
    OP
    Investor · New Haven, CT · Member since 2016 · 62 posts · 15 votes
    7y

    Oh wow! I just saw all of these responses - thanks everyone!

    @Jerry K. I never got the house appraised but its Zestimate is 109K. I’m not opposed to selling it but since it is profiting, right now I don’t have any plans to sell it. Upon researching the last recorded owner, we realized he died a few years back, and there was no one else to claim the property. 

  • Real Estate Agent · Smyrna, GA · Member since 2014 · 185 posts · 101 votes
    7y

    Thanks for sharing @Ashleigh Evans. Have you purchased any other tax liens in GA since then? I know the listings are supposed to be posted on the newspapers website prior to the auction but if there are any tips you can give to navigating figuring out what’s for auction that month would be great. 

  • Ashleigh EvansPro Member
    OP
    Investor · New Haven, CT · Member since 2016 · 62 posts · 15 votes
    7y

    @Deborah Pyburn,

    Someone on BP wrote the most insanely in-depth article about how to look for and buy a tax lien in Atlanta.

    Not all heroes wear capes.

    https://www.biggerpockets.com/forums/20/topics/395837-how-to-buy-a-tax-deed-at-the-fulton-county-tax-sale-atlanta-ga

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.