How I made 144K in 21 Months House Hacking

How I made 144K in 21 Months House Hacking

Investor 路 Las Vegas, NV 路 Member since 2016 路 41 posts 路 173 votes

With only $1500 in my bank account, I made a decision to move to Las Vegas from my small town in Connecticut in July 2016. At this time, I knew the potential of investing in real estate but was unsure of exactly how to begin or what to purchase. After a month of searching and not being completely ready to buy, I decided to move into a 6-bed house where I rented a room for $400/month.

After living in the house for a couple of months, I couldn't help but calculate how much my landlord was making every month charging everyone $400-600 per month. I was disappointed that most of the multifamilies I saw on Zillow and Redfin were in rougher neighborhoods, so I knew I had to replicate this bedroom rental model. 

Over the following 9 months, I was able to save about $10k from my W-2 job which allowed me to get pre-approved for $180k. Wanting to optimize my house hack, I had Zillow, Realtor.com, MLS, and Craigslist auto searches for 4+ bedroom houses under 225k. After 9 rejections....the 10th offer was the magic one. I found it on Zillow after a price drop from $189,900 to $185,000 for a 7 Bed/5 Bath, 2426 sqft. house. I offered 170k, and they countered at 175k with 5k in closing costs to the buyer. The deal was done. It appraised for 186k during closing.

I purchased this property with a conventional loan with about 10k down (my entire savings) at 4.35% interest rate. My monthly PITI was $996/month.

Even though the house passed for conventional financing, it was barely liveable, extremely outdated, and needed to be brought back to life. With the property being located on Eastern Ave near the Las Vegas Airport, the zoning laws allow for residential or commercial use.

Now I don't recommend any of this but I was essentially relying on my W-2 income of $1200/week to cover the labor costs for the contractors and putting materials on my credit card. I ripped up the old laminate floors, a layer of carpet under that throughout the house, and linoleum flooring under that as well. I put down luxury vinyl planking throughout the house and 4-inch base, except for the kitchen and the converted garage that already had tile. I remodeled 3 of the 5 bathrooms but waited to do the master bathroom until I had enough money (where I was living). I also had the kitchen remodeled by one of my contractor referrals 8-9 months in, replaced the AC after a year and reshingled the roof 2 months before selling. All in rehab costs for the house were $31k.

Now to the good stuff.....6 bedrooms were rented for the following ($650 garage, $450 small bedroom, $600 large bedroom, $500 bedroom w/private bath, $525 large bedroom, $450 small bedroom)

Note: All prices include $50 fixed cost for utilities. Subtract my monthly expenses + mortgage = $1750/month cash flow. Factoring in vacancies, the total generated cash flow was $35,450 over the course of those 21 months (I also moved out of the master for 4 months, renting the room out for $500).

As of March 1st, 2019 I have signed a Lease Purchase Agreement with another local house hacker looking to do the same thing for $300,000 purchase price (60k down, the remaining 80k at time of refinancing). So that leaves me $140k in equity at the time of purchase, $35,450 rental cash flow, less the $31k in renovations = $144,450 Profit. And it does get better.

Since that house was my primary residence and will be recorded after 2 years of ownership, that 144k will not get hit with capital gains. Since I am carrying the note until the new owner is able to refinance, I am receiving an additional $500 per month in surplus cash flow. At the expected time of refinancing, my total profit for the property will surpass $150,000.

I see this house hack as a monumental start to my Real Estate career. 

Because all of my living expenses were covered, I was able to quit my job and focus on real estate full-time. Even if times were rough, the income from the property allowed me to focus on wholesaling and get into some fix and flips.


I am no expert but I think if you are scared....just DO it. Take action. You will make progress towards your goals.

I will be using these funds to expand my rental portfolio in Columbus, Ohio and some of the funds have already helped me get 3 more duplexes under contract to purchase. This post was made to inspire and I hope it helps someone else get started on their journey.

-GC3

129Reply
596 views

Most Popular Reply

Temple, TX 路 Member since 2019 路 2 posts 路 21 votes
7y

First, Thanks for Sharing.

I've never participated in any type of forum type of posting in my life (excluding social media) however, I was compelled to reply to this. I am in the middle of reading the bigger pockets how to invest in real estate beginners guide to getting started book right now. I have been listening to the podcast for about 6 months now. I finally decided to check out this website and look into the forums and this was the first one I clicked on. 

I also live in Las Vegas, so opening this as my first forum post is an omen. An omen for me to finally stop thinking and start doing. Taking action. This being my first post! I have nothing else really to contribute at the moment, I just wanted to say thank you. It's inspiring to hear that happening in my marketplace. I had the same realization about searching for multifamilies in this city as many of them are in the nellis area and rougher parts of town. It's super cool how you figured a way around that! Thanks Again!

See this reply in the discussion

116 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor 路 Seattle, WA 路 Member since 2014 路 1k+ posts 路 1k+ votes
    7y

    Excellent story. I like the room rental idea, I've considered it here before but it's not different than just renting out the whole house to one tenant income wise and much more work than a single tenant. I've house hacked before and made nearly a quarter mil in 2 years. Most of my properties are single family rentals with single tenants in them but house hacking is definitely a way to boost your returns starting out.

  • Member since 2019 路 4 posts 路 1 vote
    7y

    congratulations! Such an inspiring story

  • Member since 2019 路 1 post 路 0 votes
    7y

    .. That's amazing .. Congrats!! I'm looking forward to hearing about your future investments. 

  • Investor 路 SAN FRANCISCO, CA 路 Member since 2012 路 42 posts 路 10 votes
    7y

    Have you asked the Seller why countered $5K more and credit back at closing the same amount? 

  • Cedar City, UT 路 Member since 2019 路 7 posts 路 3 votes
    7y

    This was the first post I read in this forum. I want to get started on house hacking as well! How did you run your numbers and figure out if that property was worth the investment? I think I am stuck in knowing how to properly run numbers. I really am grateful to have read your post. Thank you for sharing your experience!

  • Miami, FL 路 Member since 2019 路 4 posts 路 0 votes
    7y

    Wow!!! Thank you so much for this!!! it motivated me to take action! getting ready to go see a house!!!

  • Multifamily Syndicator 路 Houston, TX 路 Member since 2016 路 1k+ posts 路 2k+ votes
    7y

    @Gary Crawford This is truly ingenuity at it's best! 

    Great job Gary! 馃憦馃憦馃憦 

  • Member since 2019 路 27 posts 路 1 vote
    6y

    How do you go about sharing the kitchen/fridge/ living room space? Did you have to provide multiple refridgerators? what were your house rules?

    -Future House Hacker

    Thanks!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.