How I made 144K in 21 Months House Hacking

How I made 144K in 21 Months House Hacking

Investor · Las Vegas, NV · Member since 2016 · 41 posts · 173 votes

With only $1500 in my bank account, I made a decision to move to Las Vegas from my small town in Connecticut in July 2016. At this time, I knew the potential of investing in real estate but was unsure of exactly how to begin or what to purchase. After a month of searching and not being completely ready to buy, I decided to move into a 6-bed house where I rented a room for $400/month.

After living in the house for a couple of months, I couldn't help but calculate how much my landlord was making every month charging everyone $400-600 per month. I was disappointed that most of the multifamilies I saw on Zillow and Redfin were in rougher neighborhoods, so I knew I had to replicate this bedroom rental model. 

Over the following 9 months, I was able to save about $10k from my W-2 job which allowed me to get pre-approved for $180k. Wanting to optimize my house hack, I had Zillow, Realtor.com, MLS, and Craigslist auto searches for 4+ bedroom houses under 225k. After 9 rejections....the 10th offer was the magic one. I found it on Zillow after a price drop from $189,900 to $185,000 for a 7 Bed/5 Bath, 2426 sqft. house. I offered 170k, and they countered at 175k with 5k in closing costs to the buyer. The deal was done. It appraised for 186k during closing.

I purchased this property with a conventional loan with about 10k down (my entire savings) at 4.35% interest rate. My monthly PITI was $996/month.

Even though the house passed for conventional financing, it was barely liveable, extremely outdated, and needed to be brought back to life. With the property being located on Eastern Ave near the Las Vegas Airport, the zoning laws allow for residential or commercial use.

Now I don't recommend any of this but I was essentially relying on my W-2 income of $1200/week to cover the labor costs for the contractors and putting materials on my credit card. I ripped up the old laminate floors, a layer of carpet under that throughout the house, and linoleum flooring under that as well. I put down luxury vinyl planking throughout the house and 4-inch base, except for the kitchen and the converted garage that already had tile. I remodeled 3 of the 5 bathrooms but waited to do the master bathroom until I had enough money (where I was living). I also had the kitchen remodeled by one of my contractor referrals 8-9 months in, replaced the AC after a year and reshingled the roof 2 months before selling. All in rehab costs for the house were $31k.

Now to the good stuff.....6 bedrooms were rented for the following ($650 garage, $450 small bedroom, $600 large bedroom, $500 bedroom w/private bath, $525 large bedroom, $450 small bedroom)

Note: All prices include $50 fixed cost for utilities. Subtract my monthly expenses + mortgage = $1750/month cash flow. Factoring in vacancies, the total generated cash flow was $35,450 over the course of those 21 months (I also moved out of the master for 4 months, renting the room out for $500).

As of March 1st, 2019 I have signed a Lease Purchase Agreement with another local house hacker looking to do the same thing for $300,000 purchase price (60k down, the remaining 80k at time of refinancing). So that leaves me $140k in equity at the time of purchase, $35,450 rental cash flow, less the $31k in renovations = $144,450 Profit. And it does get better.

Since that house was my primary residence and will be recorded after 2 years of ownership, that 144k will not get hit with capital gains. Since I am carrying the note until the new owner is able to refinance, I am receiving an additional $500 per month in surplus cash flow. At the expected time of refinancing, my total profit for the property will surpass $150,000.

I see this house hack as a monumental start to my Real Estate career. 

Because all of my living expenses were covered, I was able to quit my job and focus on real estate full-time. Even if times were rough, the income from the property allowed me to focus on wholesaling and get into some fix and flips.


I am no expert but I think if you are scared....just DO it. Take action. You will make progress towards your goals.

I will be using these funds to expand my rental portfolio in Columbus, Ohio and some of the funds have already helped me get 3 more duplexes under contract to purchase. This post was made to inspire and I hope it helps someone else get started on their journey.

-GC3

129Reply
590 views

Most Popular Reply

Temple, TX · Member since 2019 · 2 posts · 21 votes
7y

First, Thanks for Sharing.

I've never participated in any type of forum type of posting in my life (excluding social media) however, I was compelled to reply to this. I am in the middle of reading the bigger pockets how to invest in real estate beginners guide to getting started book right now. I have been listening to the podcast for about 6 months now. I finally decided to check out this website and look into the forums and this was the first one I clicked on. 

I also live in Las Vegas, so opening this as my first forum post is an omen. An omen for me to finally stop thinking and start doing. Taking action. This being my first post! I have nothing else really to contribute at the moment, I just wanted to say thank you. It's inspiring to hear that happening in my marketplace. I had the same realization about searching for multifamilies in this city as many of them are in the nellis area and rougher parts of town. It's super cool how you figured a way around that! Thanks Again!

See this reply in the discussion

116 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • John S LewisPro Member
    Jackson, NJ · Member since 2017 · 167 posts · 48 votes
    7y

    @Gary Crawford why are you choosing Columbus, OH for a rental portfolio?  Do you have connections there?  Do you have a good realtor there?  

  • Rental Property Investor · Plainfield, CT · Member since 2019 · 8 posts · 0 votes
    7y

    @Gary Crawford

    Hey Gary, thank you for your story. I too am from a small Connecticut town and I’m very nervous about my first deal. I know house hacking is where I wanna start, not sure how I want to finance for the property once I find it. Seems like there are so many options. You’ve inspired me even more now to get out there and start making plays.

    Sincerely,

    Rory Shaffer

  • Rental Property Investor · Olympia, WA · Member since 2012 · 543 posts · 311 votes
    7y

    Thank you @Gary Crawford

  • Investor · Las Vegas, NV · Member since 2016 · 41 posts · 173 votes
    7y

    @Charles Miller these are some good points to bring up. I did try to find people whose personalities matched. When I started I had 2 friends move in that helped, but once people started moving out, the biggest thing was finding people who would get along. Keeping the kitchen clean was the #1 hardest task, but also had little to no issues when it was cleaned. I charged $50/month for all utilities and internet which included a monthly house cleaner.

  • Investor · USA · Member since 2019 · 117 posts · 57 votes
    7y

    Congratulations my man. Well done!

  • Kailua-Kona, HI · Member since 2019 · 13 posts · 4 votes
    7y

    Hey Gary,

    Thanks so much for sharing in so much detail! This is inspiring to me, and will definitely help me get started on my REI journey! My wife and I are really considering house-hacking when we move to Kona, HI later this year. If we can find something that could double as a live-in flip your story gets me excited about the possibility of that as well!

    Here's to further success! 

  • Investor · Las Vegas, NV · Member since 2016 · 41 posts · 173 votes
    7y

    @Caleb Landis let me know. I’ll gladly be a tenant!

  • Atlanta, GA · Member since 2019 · 11 posts · 2 votes
    7y

    @Gary Crawford

    Thank Mr. Gary for this awesome story. I’m currently deployed in Afghanistan, but will be home in 5 months. My brother and I are determined to pursue the opportunities residential real estate investing has to offer. I’m 30 and my brother is 28, so we’re focused on the longevity this journey could bring us wealth wise and knowledge. The story has real lit a flame under me, and I thank you again!

    Stay blessed,

    Nick Blaylock

  • Investor · Las Vegas, NV · Member since 2016 · 41 posts · 173 votes
    7y

    @Gus Kazek I had a realtor friend set up the auto searches to send me the criteria I was looking for and then I personally did the same with Zillow and Redfin.

  • Bayonne, NJ · Member since 2017 · 32 posts · 16 votes
    7y

    Hey Gary, i don't understand how you bought the house for $140 but it was worth $300k. Please explain. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Cleveland, OH · Member since 2016 · 1 post · 0 votes
    7y

    @Gary Crawford wow, this is great. I want to be able to leave my job as well. I guess it's all about get rid of all that fear..

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Pasadena, MD · Member since 2016 · 19 posts · 9 votes
    7y

    Very cool story... The hustle is alive.

  • Rental Property Investor · Mount Vernon, OH · Member since 2018 · 5 posts · 2 votes
    7y

    Awesome and inspiring story! Thanks for sharing!

  • Rental Property Investor · Denver, CO · Member since 2018 · 81 posts · 62 votes
    7y

    @Gary Crawford High Five from one house hacker to another!

    I wouldn't do it any other way. My boyfriend and I are looking to continue to house hack together, and ideally, we would alternate house hacks between the both of us (ie. I buy one and then he buys one) to maximize our ability to grow our portfolio over time and achieve financial independence sooner. 

  • Investor · Las Vegas, NV · Member since 2016 · 41 posts · 173 votes
    7y
    I like your style Suly! That is awesome. Where do you plan to purchase next?
    Originally posted by @Suly B.:

    @Gary Crawford High Five from one house hacker to another!

    I wouldn't do it any other way. My boyfriend and I are looking to continue to house hack together, and ideally, we would alternate house hacks between the both of us (ie. I buy one and then he buys one) to maximize our ability to grow our portfolio over time and achieve financial independence sooner. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Denver, CO · Member since 2018 · 81 posts · 62 votes
    7y

    @Gary Crawford That's the fun part about house-hacking, I get to live in a new neighborhood every year. 

    By August I'll be south of Denver, closer to my office. To your success! 

  • Rental Property Investor · Arlington · Member since 2018 · 34 posts · 10 votes
    7y

    this story is soooo inspiring...

  • Residential Real Estate Broker · Everett, WA · Member since 2017 · 1 post · 0 votes
    7y

    @Gary Crawford

    Thank you for sharing your success.  I sent you a PM, please check it when you can

  • Member since 2019 · 1 post · 0 votes
    7y

    Great job and thank you for sharing! 

  • Jason B.Pro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Boise, ID · Member since 2017 · 228 posts · 180 votes
    7y
  • Member since 2019 · 1 post · 0 votes
    7y

    Two questions. How much was the average utilities cost of the place per month and was it hard to live with 6 people in the same place? Having six cars at the house and having neighbors not liking all those people/cars.

  • Ian WalshBusiness Member
    Lender · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2016 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7y

    Work smart, work hard and never quit.  Good work.

  • Rental Property Investor · Houston, TX · Member since 2019 · 4 posts · 1 vote
    7y

    This is such an amazing story, it literally puts that first time buy into perspective and I love that you were at W-2 job as many others are and still saw it through. Truly inspiring!!!

  • Contractor · Chicago, IL · Member since 2019 · 22 posts · 10 votes
    7y

    Wow, thanks for sharing Gary!  For your first deal, you absolutely crushed it! 

  • San Diego, CA · Member since 2018 · 210 posts · 67 votes
    7y

    Hello Gary,

    Congrats on your success. Thank you for the inspiring words. Good luck on your future endeavors.

    Sincerely,

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.