How I made 144K in 21 Months House Hacking

How I made 144K in 21 Months House Hacking

Investor · Las Vegas, NV · Member since 2016 · 41 posts · 173 votes

With only $1500 in my bank account, I made a decision to move to Las Vegas from my small town in Connecticut in July 2016. At this time, I knew the potential of investing in real estate but was unsure of exactly how to begin or what to purchase. After a month of searching and not being completely ready to buy, I decided to move into a 6-bed house where I rented a room for $400/month.

After living in the house for a couple of months, I couldn't help but calculate how much my landlord was making every month charging everyone $400-600 per month. I was disappointed that most of the multifamilies I saw on Zillow and Redfin were in rougher neighborhoods, so I knew I had to replicate this bedroom rental model. 

Over the following 9 months, I was able to save about $10k from my W-2 job which allowed me to get pre-approved for $180k. Wanting to optimize my house hack, I had Zillow, Realtor.com, MLS, and Craigslist auto searches for 4+ bedroom houses under 225k. After 9 rejections....the 10th offer was the magic one. I found it on Zillow after a price drop from $189,900 to $185,000 for a 7 Bed/5 Bath, 2426 sqft. house. I offered 170k, and they countered at 175k with 5k in closing costs to the buyer. The deal was done. It appraised for 186k during closing.

I purchased this property with a conventional loan with about 10k down (my entire savings) at 4.35% interest rate. My monthly PITI was $996/month.

Even though the house passed for conventional financing, it was barely liveable, extremely outdated, and needed to be brought back to life. With the property being located on Eastern Ave near the Las Vegas Airport, the zoning laws allow for residential or commercial use.

Now I don't recommend any of this but I was essentially relying on my W-2 income of $1200/week to cover the labor costs for the contractors and putting materials on my credit card. I ripped up the old laminate floors, a layer of carpet under that throughout the house, and linoleum flooring under that as well. I put down luxury vinyl planking throughout the house and 4-inch base, except for the kitchen and the converted garage that already had tile. I remodeled 3 of the 5 bathrooms but waited to do the master bathroom until I had enough money (where I was living). I also had the kitchen remodeled by one of my contractor referrals 8-9 months in, replaced the AC after a year and reshingled the roof 2 months before selling. All in rehab costs for the house were $31k.

Now to the good stuff.....6 bedrooms were rented for the following ($650 garage, $450 small bedroom, $600 large bedroom, $500 bedroom w/private bath, $525 large bedroom, $450 small bedroom)

Note: All prices include $50 fixed cost for utilities. Subtract my monthly expenses + mortgage = $1750/month cash flow. Factoring in vacancies, the total generated cash flow was $35,450 over the course of those 21 months (I also moved out of the master for 4 months, renting the room out for $500).

As of March 1st, 2019 I have signed a Lease Purchase Agreement with another local house hacker looking to do the same thing for $300,000 purchase price (60k down, the remaining 80k at time of refinancing). So that leaves me $140k in equity at the time of purchase, $35,450 rental cash flow, less the $31k in renovations = $144,450 Profit. And it does get better.

Since that house was my primary residence and will be recorded after 2 years of ownership, that 144k will not get hit with capital gains. Since I am carrying the note until the new owner is able to refinance, I am receiving an additional $500 per month in surplus cash flow. At the expected time of refinancing, my total profit for the property will surpass $150,000.

I see this house hack as a monumental start to my Real Estate career. 

Because all of my living expenses were covered, I was able to quit my job and focus on real estate full-time. Even if times were rough, the income from the property allowed me to focus on wholesaling and get into some fix and flips.


I am no expert but I think if you are scared....just DO it. Take action. You will make progress towards your goals.

I will be using these funds to expand my rental portfolio in Columbus, Ohio and some of the funds have already helped me get 3 more duplexes under contract to purchase. This post was made to inspire and I hope it helps someone else get started on their journey.

-GC3

129Reply
591 views

Most Popular Reply

Temple, TX · Member since 2019 · 2 posts · 21 votes
7y

First, Thanks for Sharing.

I've never participated in any type of forum type of posting in my life (excluding social media) however, I was compelled to reply to this. I am in the middle of reading the bigger pockets how to invest in real estate beginners guide to getting started book right now. I have been listening to the podcast for about 6 months now. I finally decided to check out this website and look into the forums and this was the first one I clicked on. 

I also live in Las Vegas, so opening this as my first forum post is an omen. An omen for me to finally stop thinking and start doing. Taking action. This being my first post! I have nothing else really to contribute at the moment, I just wanted to say thank you. It's inspiring to hear that happening in my marketplace. I had the same realization about searching for multifamilies in this city as many of them are in the nellis area and rougher parts of town. It's super cool how you figured a way around that! Thanks Again!

See this reply in the discussion

116 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Medford, OR · Member since 2019 · 9 posts · 1 vote
    7y

    Fantastic! Very inspirational. I'm looking to get into house-hacking as my first investment, looking for small multifamily in my area right now. I think the idea is brilliant.

  • Los Angeles Area · Member since 2019 · 1 post · 0 votes
    7y

    Well done. Would love to hear reasons/strategy for Columbus next x

  • Rental Property Investor · Midwest USA · Member since 2018 · 24 posts · 15 votes
    7y

    @Gary Crawford awesome post and great story!

    I love reading things like this!

    I've actually (potentially) a similar deal on the horizon. I'm considering buying a SFR near a major university, and renting it to students by the room.

    What can you tell me about managing that many different tenants? Did you offer internet or any amenities? How did you find tenants and set the price per room?

    Keep crushing it and thanks for the inspiration!

  • Member since 2019 · 3 posts · 1 vote
    7y

    Wow!! Your post did more than inspire me!! I cannot even put it into words!! Congratulations and good luck in your endeavors!!

  • Rental Property Investor · Depends on where my employer sends me · Member since 2018 · 171 posts · 142 votes
    7y

    @Gary Crawford good job

  • Rental Property Investor · New York City · Member since 2014 · 208 posts · 271 votes
    7y

    @Gary Crawford Very, very impressive and inspiring.  Congratulations, and thanks so much for sharing. I love it.

  • Real Estate Agent · Cleveland, OH · Member since 2018 · 90 posts · 55 votes
    7y
    @Gary Crawford That's amazing! Did you work with a realtor during this process? Or were you registered your self since you mentioned mls?
  • Member since 2019 · 20 posts · 14 votes
    7y

    This is so awesome!  We get rewarded for taking action and this is no different!  It is time for me to start house hacking!

  • Member since 2018 · 3 posts · 3 votes
    7y

    First I want to say great focus and fortitude. That is awesome! I bet 2 years flew by. Just out of curiosity how much depreciation recaptured did you have?

  • Investor · Austin, TX · Member since 2016 · 42 posts · 4 votes
    7y

    Well done @Gary Crawford.ould love to hear more about 3 duplex that you purchase.

  • Newport News, VA · Member since 2018 · 9 posts · 4 votes
    7y

    @Gary Crawford Awesome

  • Rental Property Investor · Las Vegas, NV · Member since 2016 · 30 posts · 5 votes
    7y

    @Gary Crawford

    So this is amazing... I am literally moving to Vegas within 2 months and have been exploring my options on what to do as far as a living situation... I want to house hack and was looking at FHA into one of the 4 units in the area, but I was definitely not overly excited about the idea... I figured I'd suck it up, break even until I could move out into a better option and make a little once I moved out, and hey I'd be building equity at least. Not good enough... I will now be replicating this idea.

    I'm thinking west side, summerlin, centennial hills or spring valley areas. Would you say any of those markets would be better than another? Actually would you mind if I direct message you and pick your brain on some these ideas?

    Either way thanks a million, this opens my mind up to soooo much more. Thank you

  • Lender · Santa Rosa, CA · Member since 2017 · 283 posts · 255 votes
    7y

    @Joshua Bush there should not be any depreciation capture because it was his primary residence so he is taking advantage of the section 121 exemption for primary residence. @Gary Crawford congrats on great discipline and tenacity and using and bending so many tools to your advantage.

    Certainly consult your tax advisor to make sure you do everything required to maximize the tax advantages and timing of what is effectively an installment sale. I’m a Buckeye as well so I see the Columbus attraction. Enjoy the journey!

  • Gina SternPro Member
    Investor · Boca Raton, FL · Member since 2019 · 1k+ posts · 159 votes
    7y

    @Gary Crawford great story, way to graft and follow your goals, very inspiring!!

  • Michael JonesPro Member
    Real Estate Agent · Oklahoma City, OK · Member since 2018 · 50 posts · 17 votes
    7y

    Very inspiring!  

  • Investor · Las Vegas, NV · Member since 2016 · 41 posts · 173 votes
    7y

    @Andrew Jackson Absolutely. Send me a

    DM and we can talk more in detail about some areas. Also, let me know when you are in town. Welcome to Las Vegas! (Soon to be home)

  • Investor · Chicago, IL · Member since 2019 · 9 posts · 1 vote
    7y

    @Gary Crawford great work sound very interesting im in Dallas, Tx working trying to do Realestate fulltime

  • Investor · Clermont, FL · Member since 2018 · 26 posts · 17 votes
    7y

    @Quincy Palou

    Welcome Quincy. I'm a newbie as well. @Gary Crawford post was inspiring to me as well. I'm new to investing but not in life. I'm close to retirement age but investing has me excited and ready to learn. Good luck with your investments!

  • Member since 2019 · 1 post · 1 vote
    7y

    @Gary Crawford Congrats on jumping out and doing. So as far as true capital. You started with 10k and decent credit?

  • Rental Property Investor · Brentwood, TN · Member since 2016 · 46 posts · 27 votes
    7y

    @Gary Crawford Way to go!! I am in the midst of negotiating owner financing on a home that I would house hack too so your story is inspiring.

  • Real Estate Consultant · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2017 · 52 posts · 35 votes
    7y

    Awesome way to do it! Everyone wants to buy their forever home but Delayed gratification pays off in the long run.  My first house hack was a 650sqft duplex for 2 years. 

  • Zion, IL · Member since 2017 · 60 posts · 35 votes
    7y

    Thank you for sharing, Gary! A lot of good information, and your hustle is undeniable! What made you move to Vegas?

  • Dan SheeksPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Denver, CO · Member since 2016 · 621 posts · 362 votes
    7y

    Great stuff!  Nice work, @Gary Crawford

  • Rental Property Investor · Jacksonville / Miami - FL · Member since 2018 · 27 posts · 3 votes
    7y

    That is wonderful and really inspiring for sure! thank you for share

  • Mesa, AZ · Member since 2018 · 35 posts · 34 votes
    7y

    Thanks for sharing @Gary Crawford I'm in the beginning phases of house hacking my way to a larger portfolio so this was a great read! Best of luck with the rest of your investing and looking forward to seeing what else you do!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.