How I made 144K in 21 Months House Hacking

How I made 144K in 21 Months House Hacking

Investor 路 Las Vegas, NV 路 Member since 2016 路 41 posts 路 173 votes

With only $1500 in my bank account, I made a decision to move to Las Vegas from my small town in Connecticut in July 2016. At this time, I knew the potential of investing in real estate but was unsure of exactly how to begin or what to purchase. After a month of searching and not being completely ready to buy, I decided to move into a 6-bed house where I rented a room for $400/month.

After living in the house for a couple of months, I couldn't help but calculate how much my landlord was making every month charging everyone $400-600 per month. I was disappointed that most of the multifamilies I saw on Zillow and Redfin were in rougher neighborhoods, so I knew I had to replicate this bedroom rental model. 

Over the following 9 months, I was able to save about $10k from my W-2 job which allowed me to get pre-approved for $180k. Wanting to optimize my house hack, I had Zillow, Realtor.com, MLS, and Craigslist auto searches for 4+ bedroom houses under 225k. After 9 rejections....the 10th offer was the magic one. I found it on Zillow after a price drop from $189,900 to $185,000 for a 7 Bed/5 Bath, 2426 sqft. house. I offered 170k, and they countered at 175k with 5k in closing costs to the buyer. The deal was done. It appraised for 186k during closing.

I purchased this property with a conventional loan with about 10k down (my entire savings) at 4.35% interest rate. My monthly PITI was $996/month.

Even though the house passed for conventional financing, it was barely liveable, extremely outdated, and needed to be brought back to life. With the property being located on Eastern Ave near the Las Vegas Airport, the zoning laws allow for residential or commercial use.

Now I don't recommend any of this but I was essentially relying on my W-2 income of $1200/week to cover the labor costs for the contractors and putting materials on my credit card. I ripped up the old laminate floors, a layer of carpet under that throughout the house, and linoleum flooring under that as well. I put down luxury vinyl planking throughout the house and 4-inch base, except for the kitchen and the converted garage that already had tile. I remodeled 3 of the 5 bathrooms but waited to do the master bathroom until I had enough money (where I was living). I also had the kitchen remodeled by one of my contractor referrals 8-9 months in, replaced the AC after a year and reshingled the roof 2 months before selling. All in rehab costs for the house were $31k.

Now to the good stuff.....6 bedrooms were rented for the following ($650 garage, $450 small bedroom, $600 large bedroom, $500 bedroom w/private bath, $525 large bedroom, $450 small bedroom)

Note: All prices include $50 fixed cost for utilities. Subtract my monthly expenses + mortgage = $1750/month cash flow. Factoring in vacancies, the total generated cash flow was $35,450 over the course of those 21 months (I also moved out of the master for 4 months, renting the room out for $500).

As of March 1st, 2019 I have signed a Lease Purchase Agreement with another local house hacker looking to do the same thing for $300,000 purchase price (60k down, the remaining 80k at time of refinancing). So that leaves me $140k in equity at the time of purchase, $35,450 rental cash flow, less the $31k in renovations = $144,450 Profit. And it does get better.

Since that house was my primary residence and will be recorded after 2 years of ownership, that 144k will not get hit with capital gains. Since I am carrying the note until the new owner is able to refinance, I am receiving an additional $500 per month in surplus cash flow. At the expected time of refinancing, my total profit for the property will surpass $150,000.

I see this house hack as a monumental start to my Real Estate career. 

Because all of my living expenses were covered, I was able to quit my job and focus on real estate full-time. Even if times were rough, the income from the property allowed me to focus on wholesaling and get into some fix and flips.


I am no expert but I think if you are scared....just DO it. Take action. You will make progress towards your goals.

I will be using these funds to expand my rental portfolio in Columbus, Ohio and some of the funds have already helped me get 3 more duplexes under contract to purchase. This post was made to inspire and I hope it helps someone else get started on their journey.

-GC3

129Reply
616 views

Most Popular Reply

Temple, TX 路 Member since 2019 路 2 posts 路 21 votes
7y

First, Thanks for Sharing.

I've never participated in any type of forum type of posting in my life (excluding social media) however, I was compelled to reply to this. I am in the middle of reading the bigger pockets how to invest in real estate beginners guide to getting started book right now. I have been listening to the podcast for about 6 months now. I finally decided to check out this website and look into the forums and this was the first one I clicked on. 

I also live in Las Vegas, so opening this as my first forum post is an omen. An omen for me to finally stop thinking and start doing. Taking action. This being my first post! I have nothing else really to contribute at the moment, I just wanted to say thank you. It's inspiring to hear that happening in my marketplace. I had the same realization about searching for multifamilies in this city as many of them are in the nellis area and rougher parts of town. It's super cool how you figured a way around that! Thanks Again!

See this reply in the discussion

116 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor 路 Bloomington, IN 路 Member since 2015 路 195 posts 路 36 votes
    7y

    Great work! I'm amazed you only had 31k in rehab costs?? A roof and HVAC would probably be 1/2 of that cost... did you do a lot of the work yourself?

  • Investor 路 San Diego, CA 路 Member since 2014 路 592 posts 路 765 votes
    7y

    @Gary Crawford

    Love this story!  Quick question: do you have a sense of how much of the appreciation from 185 to 300 was due to your remodel and how much was simply due to natural appreciation in the housing market?

  • Flipper/Rehabber 路 Severn, MD 路 Member since 2018 路 4 posts 路 3 votes
    7y

    Great read, thanks for sharing 馃憦馃従馃憦馃従

  • Modesto, CA 路 Member since 2016 路 6 posts 路 1 vote
    7y

    Hopefully, they will be able to obtain a loan and pass inspections and appraisal requirements on the house hack

  • Member since 2018 路 1 post 路 0 votes
    7y

    Very inspiring!

  • Modesto, CA 路 Member since 2016 路 6 posts 路 1 vote
    7y

    I just can't live with people ...need my own space bath, kitchen, and garage...well except my girl....but that's just me!~

  • Specialist 路 Carolina Beach, NC 路 Member since 2016 路 390 posts 路 496 votes
    7y

    So great @Gary Crawford Well done!

  • West Bloomfield, MI 路 Member since 2017 路 18 posts 路 3 votes
    7y

    Thank you Gary. I love these inspirational stories. Congratulations on your successes!

  • North Las Vegas, NV 路 Member since 2017 路 15 posts 路 7 votes
    7y

    Thank you so much for sharing. I have been researching and preparing to invest for about 3 years. My husband and I are finally ready. We also live in Vegas and we really wanted to house hack a multifamily property but our choices are limited here. Now we are looking out of state. Congrats!and thanks for the motivation of just taking action!.

  • Investor 路 Las Vegas, NV 路 Member since 2016 路 41 posts 路 173 votes
    7y
    Thanks Frank, over the past 2 years we have had some really solid natural appreciation in the housing market. Most of the appreciation has been due to the market, but definitely some added value from the remodel. 
    Originally posted by @Frank Jiang:

    @Gary Crawford

    Love this story!  Quick question: do you have a sense of how much of the appreciation from 185 to 300 was due to your remodel and how much was simply due to natural appreciation in the housing market?

  • Investor 路 El Paso, TX 路 Member since 2012 路 75 posts 路 16 votes
    7y

    I鈥檓 going to replicate your model, You house hacked into the commercial real estate space, pretty awesome

  • Guy with Great Hair 路 Austin, TX 路 Member since 2013 路 2k+ posts 路 4k+ votes
    7y

    This guy is a killer!

  • Real Estate Investor 路 Memphis, TN 路 Member since 2013 路 15 posts 路 4 votes
    7y

    How did you remodel 3 bathrooms, a kitchen, replace the AC and re-shingle the roof for 31K? This sounds HELLA low. Did you do a FULL remodel in each of these rooms or just the items that needed to be replaced. Take for example many times the tile on  the floor of a bath and the tub can be reused...or was it COMPLETE renovations?

  • Member since 2018 路 29 posts 路 20 votes
    7y

    @ Gary Crawford Congrats! 

  • Rental Property Investor 路 Leander, TX 路 Member since 2018 路 183 posts 路 264 votes
    7y

    Congrats, that's an inspirational story. Can't wait to hear how the next chapter turns out, when you turn $150k into $1.5M!

  • Oak View, CA 路 Member since 2016 路 19 posts 路 3 votes
    7y

    Great post! You got me thinking about this strategy for my 5 bedroom rental in Idaho! 

  • Truckee, CA 路 Member since 2017 路 5 posts 路 2 votes
    7y

    @Gary Crawford - That all went very well for you. Congratulations! Seems like you were also able to hack the remodel cost. Remodeling 3 bathrooms plus the kitchen could easily eat up that entire $31k budget. As a contractor, I am curious how your remodel cost was kept to a minimum. Perhaps you can share a few of the cost savers that helped keep your budget down.

    Remodeling is very expensive and sharing cost saving tips is great for this community!

    Congratulations and happy real estate trails!

  • Real Estate Investor 路 Memphis, TN 路 Member since 2013 路 15 posts 路 4 votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Peggy Lindsay:

    @Gary Crawford - That all went very well for you. Congratulations! Seems like you were also able to hack the remodel cost. Remodeling 3 bathrooms plus the kitchen could easily eat up that entire $31k budget. As a contractor, I am curious how your remodel cost was kept to a minimum. Perhaps you can share a few of the cost savers that helped keep your budget down.

    Remodeling is very expensive and sharing cost saving tips is great for this community!

    Congratulations and happy real estate trails!

    I am asking these same questions. There has to be more to this. If he did ALL of the work himself I could see it, but he is saying he contracted people for much of it.

  • Investor 路 Las Vegas, NV 路 Member since 2016 路 41 posts 路 173 votes
    7y
    Hi Peggy,
    Definitely some great questions. I see you are in CA, so your rehab costs are most likely more compared to here in Vegas...I learned the hard way on a rehab up in Big Bear. I did sales for a painting/light remodeling company and was able to pay some of the workers on the side for a cheap rate to do the painting and baseboards (I would say $15/hr when it came down to it). For the flooring I purhcased some easy to install luxury vinyl planks and paid a retired flooring contractor $2k to install throughout the house. For the kitchen, at this point I had networked around with some other people in Real Estate and was able to find a great contractor to do the whole kitchen for $6k, (I bought the cabinets/countertops at discount, backsplash was a little pricey, but labor was about $1.5k). That same contractor did the master bathroom upstairs for total cost of $3k, the next bathroom I had the retired handyman remodel with a pre-fab shower enclosure, and the last bathroom I helped a handyman with the tile portion (biggest mistake of the rehab, will never tile again haha). The roof and A/C were big costs to me that ate up a lot of the budget though. I paid $5.5k to the foreman of a roofing company who did the job on the side over a weekend and the A/C was ~$6.5k, one unit for the whole house.  Hope this makes things more understandable!
    Originally posted by @Peggy Lindsay:

    @Gary Crawford - That all went very well for you. Congratulations! Seems like you were also able to hack the remodel cost. Remodeling 3 bathrooms plus the kitchen could easily eat up that entire $31k budget. As a contractor, I am curious how your remodel cost was kept to a minimum. Perhaps you can share a few of the cost savers that helped keep your budget down.

    Remodeling is very expensive and sharing cost saving tips is great for this community!

    Congratulations and happy real estate trails!

  • Investor 路 Ann Arbor, MI 路 Member since 2016 路 71 posts 路 56 votes
    7y

    Love it.  I thought I did well in the 90s to own a 3 bedroom with a payment of $770, and rent out the other 2 bedrooms for $250 each.  Much better to make a large sum of money.  Impressed.

  • Investor 路 Las Vegas, NV 路 Member since 2016 路 41 posts 路 173 votes
    7y

    Thanks @Joel Fine . That is the plan!

  • Sergey TkachevPro Member
    Investor, Agent, CPA 路 West Sacramento, CA 路 Member since 2009 路 706 posts 路 262 votes
    7y

    That's an awesome story, thanks for sharing!

  • Flagstaff, AZ 路 Member since 2018 路 15 posts 路 2 votes
    7y

    Awesome! Congrats!! Very inspiring!

  • Flipper/Rehabber 路 Chicago, IL 路 Member since 2013 路 319 posts 路 153 votes
    7y

    @Gary Crawford

    Congrats, that鈥檚 great to hear馃挭馃徑

  • Investor 路 Las Vegas, NV 路 Member since 2016 路 41 posts 路 173 votes
    7y

    @Victoria L. Are you thinking about house hacking in North Las Vegas now? I have a seen a good amount of 5-bed houses that seemed to make sense for the model.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.