Washington state buy and hold in Skagit Valley

Washington state buy and hold in Skagit Valley

Sam DennyPro Member
Rental Property Investor · Seattle, WA · Member since 2016 · 53 posts · 23 votes

Investment Info:

Small multi-family (2-4 units) buy & hold investment.

Purchase price: $627,500
Cash invested: $6,000

Purchased newer 4 plex build in 2012 with higher end finishes with rents below market rates. Previous owner was self managing.

What made you interested in investing in this type of deal?

Building passive cash flow for the long term to replace income from regular job.

How did you find this deal and how did you negotiate it?

Found on zillow as for sale by owner. Used agent to negotiate purchase. Paid close to asking price

How did you finance this deal?

25% down. Used Caliber loans. Wasn't able to use my banking relationships at Bank of America since it was my first deal but would be able to now with better rates.

How did you add value to the deal?

I understood the current rents were well below market rates. Rents at purchase were in the 1200-1300 range and was able to increase to 1500-1600 without any major improvements.

What was the outcome?

I achieved close to 1% rent to price ratio post rent increases with very low maintenance and vacancy so far.

Lessons learned? Challenges?

I've been self managing so had to learn how to market and build leases. Not too difficult. Having a great maintenance guy has been key.

Did you work with any real estate professionals (agents, lenders, etc.) that you'd recommend to others?

Yes! My agent Lawton Coursey.

1Reply
15 views

2 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Agent · Bellingham, WA · Member since 2017 · 427 posts · 182 votes
    7y

    @Sam Denny wait... you said you did 25% down but put 6k cash in... so which is it? I’m confused how you organized this one.

  • Sam DennyPro Member
    OP
    Rental Property Investor · Seattle, WA · Member since 2016 · 53 posts · 23 votes
    7y

    @Robert Freeborn I was thinking they were asking for cash invested after purchase.  I purchased with 25% down using a commercial loan from a local bank.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.