Getting *PAID* to live in Indianapolis! House-hacking a duplex!

Getting *PAID* to live in Indianapolis! House-hacking a duplex!

Member since 2018 · 9 posts · 8 votes

Investment Info:

Multi-family residence buy & hold investment in Indianapolis.

Purchase price: $128,500
Cash invested: $22,000

This was a long-distance real estate deal, as my wife and I were renting in Orlando, FL when we had our offer accepted on this duplex in Indianapolis, IN. We had a realtor do a video walk-through, and submitted an offer. We are currently renting one half for $1125/mo to some young college grads, and living on the other side! Living rent-free is life changing!

What made you interested in investing in this type of deal?

My wife and I were moving back to Indiana, and needed a place to live. After listening to the BP podcast, we decided to buy a duplex so that we could live in one side and rent out the other. We went from paying $1050/mo renting 1 bed | 1 bath apartment (infested with cockroaches!), to living in a 3 bed | 1 bath that is making us $300 a month!

How did you find this deal and how did you negotiate it?

After looking at over 100+ houses online, this one popped up for $125k and we put in an offer sight unseen. It definitely needed some work, but we knew it had great potential. So, we put in an offer with an escalating clause. We closed the deal at $128,500.

How did you finance this deal?

Through Centier Bank with Chris France. Conventional 5% down loan. Our interest rate was 4.75%.

How did you add value to the deal?

At closing it instantly re-appraised to $136k. The seller needed money quick! We did light rehab work in both kitchens. The biggest unexpected cost was having to replace both water heaters and AC units, which brought our all-in total from $14k to $22k. Currently, our duplex is currently worth $170k and rising, as our neighborhood is quickly flipping.

4Reply
80 views

Most Popular Reply

Chicago, IL · Member since 2015 · 4 posts · 3 votes
7y

@Brandon Boyd great job! My husband and I live in the West Suburbs of Chicago, having recently moved here from Atlanta and are looking for a buy and hold property. After having to relearn a new market, we are realizing that Illinois may not be the best place considering better markets are not that far away. We are considering Indianapolis because of the projected growth, the affordability, and new corporate development. May I ask a couple questions about your recent purchase? Did you find on the MLS? What neighborhood are you in? Did you work with an investor friendly realtor? Thank you so much for the additional information! Emily

See this reply in the discussion

22 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Indianapolis, IN · Member since 2019 · 2 posts · 2 votes
    7y

    Awesome, looking to do the same in a year or so near Carmel

  • Rental Property Investor · Shakopee, MN · Member since 2015 · 985 posts · 374 votes
    7y

    Nice job!

  • Member since 2018 · 9 posts · 8 votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Philip Rhein:

    Awesome, looking to do the same in a year or so near Carmel

    That's fantastic, bro! Are you thinking multi-family or flipping a single family home? 

  • Nick GiulioniPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Carmel, IN · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 615 votes
    7y

    Awesome job! :)

  • Rental Property Investor · Indianapolis, IN · Member since 2017 · 96 posts · 140 votes
    7y

    @Brandon Boyd you guys are killing it! I wish more young people would look at this as an option. While the glamorous downtown apartments appear great, they certainly are not paying you. I am working on a similar duplex scenario in mapleton fall creek. Excited to be living rent free here soon just like you and your wife!

    @Logan Coyle you need to read this. :)

    Great job to the two of you!

    Cheers,

  • Member since 2018 · 9 posts · 8 votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Zach Hoereth:

    @Brandon Boyd you guys are killing it! I wish more young people would look at this as an option. While the glamorous downtown apartments appear great, they certainly are not paying you. I am working on a similar duplex scenario in mapleton fall creek. Excited to be living rent free here soon just like you and your wife!

    @Logan Coyle you need to read this. :)

    Great job to the two of you!

    Cheers,

    Thanks Zach! That's actually where I bought my duplex, and am currently living! Didn't expect that I'd have a BP friend as a neighbor! 

  • Property Manager · Indianapolis, IN · Member since 2019 · 20 posts · 9 votes
    7y

    Great work, keep it going!!

  • Multifamily Syndicator · Houston, TX · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    7y

    @Brandon Boyd 

    The beauty of Real Estate Investing (HouseHacking). 

    Many never get started, so congratulations to you and your wife for making a move 🎉🎉🎉

  • Chicago, IL · Member since 2015 · 4 posts · 3 votes
    7y

    @Brandon Boyd great job! My husband and I live in the West Suburbs of Chicago, having recently moved here from Atlanta and are looking for a buy and hold property. After having to relearn a new market, we are realizing that Illinois may not be the best place considering better markets are not that far away. We are considering Indianapolis because of the projected growth, the affordability, and new corporate development. May I ask a couple questions about your recent purchase? Did you find on the MLS? What neighborhood are you in? Did you work with an investor friendly realtor? Thank you so much for the additional information! Emily

  • Real Estate Agent · Sacramento, CA · Member since 2019 · 18 posts · 14 votes
    7y

    Awesome job @Brandon Boyd!   If you wouldn't mind sharing, what part of Indy is the duplex in? Going to be investing there soon and am still trying to get a sense of the neighborhoods. 

  • Member since 2018 · 9 posts · 8 votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Emily Peel:

    @Brandon Boyd great job! My husband and I live in the West Suburbs of Chicago, having recently moved here from Atlanta and are looking for a buy and hold property. After having to relearn a new market, we are realizing that Illinois may not be the best place considering better markets are not that far away. We are considering Indianapolis because of the projected growth, the affordability, and new corporate development. May I ask a couple questions about your recent purchase? Did you find on the MLS? What neighborhood are you in? Did you work with an investor friendly realtor? Thank you so much for the additional information! Emily

    Hey Emily! Congrats on the move to Chicago. Indianapolis is definitely an easier market to find deals in than Illinois. I'll send you an email. Feel free to ask me any questions you'd like! I'm actually a realtor working with investors now, helping them find properties here locally.

    And I found my deal on the MLS. I'm downtown Indianapolis in the Mapleton Fall Creek area, but work many more locations down here.

  • Member since 2018 · 9 posts · 8 votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Alex McIvor:

    Awesome job @Brandon Boyd!   If you wouldn't mind sharing, what part of Indy is the duplex in? Going to be investing there soon and am still trying to get a sense of the neighborhoods. 

    Thank you very much! And not at all. I found my duplex in the Mapleton Fall Creek neighborhood. I'd say it's a little bit higher end ($100k+ market) for a fixer upper. It's definitely an up and coming, so there is lots of appreciation happening right now. However, there are some cheaper markets on the east side of Indianapolis, and new growth is happening all over the place. Lots of opportunities. Are you currently working with a realtor or investor team?

    If you have any other questions, feel free to send me a pm!

  • Member since 2018 · 9 posts · 8 votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Ola Dantis:

    @Brandon Boyd 

    The beauty of Real Estate Investing (HouseHacking). 

    Many never get started, so congratulations to you and your wife for making a move 🎉🎉🎉

    Thank you Ola! We were very blessed to find such a great home/investment! We're looking forward to adding many more in the future.

  • Indianapolis, IN · Member since 2018 · 15 posts · 7 votes
    7y

    @Brandon Boyd -- Definitely the move! I've been househacking in Indianapolis (King's park area) since February and wouldn't have it any other way. Not just I'm living for free, I've got some left over cash flow as well. It has expedited my investing career so much faster by having no expenses -- Shout out to you! 

  • Member since 2018 · 9 posts · 8 votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Bayu Irjanto:

    @Brandon Boyd -- Definitely the move! I've been househacking in Indianapolis (King's park area) since February and wouldn't have it any other way. Not just I'm living for free, I've got some left over cash flow as well. It has expedited my investing career so much faster by having no expenses -- Shout out to you! 

    Oh wow! You are just south of me. I probably drive past your house 3x a week. Fantastic area for investing. Congrats on finding something in that area! So many exciting things happening so close to you. Are you looking for any new properties currently? 

  • Indianapolis, IN · Member since 2018 · 15 posts · 7 votes
    7y

    @Brandon Boyd -- Yep!  I've done a couple of deals since and will always be on the lookout for more!

  • Specialist · Indianapolis, IN · Member since 2015 · 31 posts · 10 votes
    7y

    Nice Job @Brandon Boyd

  • Folsom, CA · Member since 2015 · 94 posts · 19 votes
    7y

    Good work! That mortgage rate seems a bit high, was that a non owner-occupied loan?

  • Member since 2018 · 9 posts · 8 votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Account Closed:

    Good work! That mortgage rate seems a bit high, was that a non owner-occupied loan?

    I agree it is a little high, but this was where the market was at last year. Unfortunately, I won't be able to refinance for 2 years due to new job. I would love to get my interest rate down to the low 4s.

  • Rental Property Investor · Denver, CO · Member since 2019 · 14 posts · 11 votes
    7y

    @Brandon Boyd congrats on the success! I've been house hacking for going on 2.5 years now in the south broad ripple areas and the financial benefits are incredible.  Has allowed me to force quite a bit of equity into the property.  

  • Rental Property Investor · Indianapolis, IN · Member since 2019 · 2 posts · 2 votes
    6y

    @Brandon Boyd

    Hoping to do multi family in Carmel/ North Indianapolis area within the next 8months.

  • Real Estate Agent · Columbus, OH · Member since 2018 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    6y

    That's great @Brandon Boyd, keep it up!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.