Closed on my first property last week!

Closed on my first property last week!

Rental Property Investor 路 Orange County, CA 路 Member since 2018 路 98 posts 路 138 votes

Investment Info:

Small multi-family (2-4 units) buy & hold investment in Toledo.

Purchase price: $64,500
Cash invested: $19,445

First investment property and it's a duplex! Purchased sight unseen!

What made you interested in investing in this type of deal?

Stable cash-flowing duplex located within a half mile of a university and near where I grew up.

How did you find this deal and how did you negotiate it?

My realtor/property manager passed it along to me after one of his other investor clients stopped communicating with him. I quickly ran the numbers and after some back-and-forth with the seller was able to negotiate the price to $10,400 below asking, plus some seller credits at closing.

How did you finance this deal?

I used the HELOC on my primary residence to fund the down payment and initial repairs.

How did you add value to the deal?

We put together a repair/maintenance list based off of the initial property inspection and tenant requests and prioritized what needed immediate attention. My realtor/property manager already had a team in place to knock out most of the list within the first week!

What was the outcome?

Addressing the immediate repair issues helped set the tone for the type of landlord that I want to be and should build trust and loyalty with the inherited tenants.

Lessons learned? Challenges?

Since I live in California and this property's in Ohio, I am very fortunate to have found an exceptional realtor/property manager who can get things done. Buying a property sight unseen, I feel it's imperative to find someone you can trust, build a relationship, and follow their guidance. The main challenge I encountered was getting over my fear of taking the first steps. In the end, I can't believe how easy everything fell into place.

92Reply
708 views

Most Popular Reply

Realtor 路 Boulder, CO 路 Member since 2016 路 3k+ posts 路 5k+ votes
6y

Did you have a foundation specialist in to check that foundation? Looks like possible step cracks? Unfortunately I don鈥檛 think this much water inside the basement would be caused by shrubs, it鈥檚 more likely you have a bigger issue. If those are indeed step cracks, and the water is entering through the mortar lines, that would explain the large amount of water and would be an indication of the beginnings of foundation failure unfortunately. This wouldn鈥檛 be caused by a few plants growing on the outside, but rather by a large amount of pressure being exerted on the foundation walls over time, causing them to crack along the points where the blocks are bonded (mortar lines) which are the weakest point and therefore the first points along which the foundation will show signs of failure. Putting drylok on the inside may reduce the amount of water entering in the short term but failing to address the pressure issue on the outside will just make the problem worse over time as the water isn鈥檛 prevented from coming into the wall itself as only the inside is sealed, so it just gets trapped in the wall, further degrading the structural integrity of the wall. I would get a foundation specialist out to assess the issue if you haven鈥檛. Ideally you would have taken this step during the inspection contingency period but I鈥檓 assuming it鈥檚 too late for that now, so keep that in mind for next one I guess. Part of the reason I'd never buy a place sight-unseen but to each his own. Slapping some drylok on the inside, removing some plants and throwing some dirt on the outside may not be an adequate solution, in fact I'd be surprised if it works... possible legit solutions will be to dig up the yard to assess the outside of the foundation wall, and address the pressure issue by back filling around the wall properly, sealing the outside of the foundation wall (not the inside), improving the negative grading issue with more than just adding some loose dirt on top, and adding French drains. Depending on how long that much water has been entering the basement, you鈥檒l want to look at the floor joists and check for mold/rot. If you鈥檙e planning to keep this property as a buy and hold I would address the foundation issue properly before it gets worse and leads to a more expensive repair down the road. Whoever did the walk through/inspection should have informed you of the possibility of foundation issues here and recommended having an expert take a look. 

See this reply in the discussion

160 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Member since 2019 路 2 posts 路 0 votes
    6y

    @Justin Wotring

    Congratulations Justin, I'm looking to do my first purchase in the coming month and I may just copy your write up style to describe the purchase

  • Realtor 路 Atlanta, GA 路 Member since 2019 路 10 posts 路 0 votes
    6y

    @Justin Wotring CONGRATS!

  • Wholesaler 路 Atlanta, Ga. 路 Member since 2019 路 7 posts 路 1 vote
    6y

    Congratulations!

  • Los Angeles, CA 路 Member since 2018 路 10 posts 路 2 votes
    6y

    @Justin Wotring Do u mind sharing which university in Toledo?

    Also do u meet with any other investors in Orange County? I鈥檓 local and looking to meet up with some locals!

  • Member since 2019 路 18 posts 路 7 votes
    6y

    @Justin Wotring congratulations! Your story, on so many levels, sounds exactly like what I am hoping to do, even down to being in OC!

  • Investor 路 Chicago, IL 路 Member since 2015 路 87 posts 路 42 votes
    6y

    Congratulations!! @Justin Wotring

  • Rental Property Investor 路 Seattle, WA 路 Member since 2013 路 2 posts 路 1 vote
    6y

    @Justin Wotring

    Thanks for sharing! 馃憤

  • Member since 2019 路 14 posts 路 8 votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Justin Wotring:

    @Zachary Metler thanks! The upper unit is occupied by a student, the lower unit is a family. There is potential to rent out by the room to students. Currently the upper unit is rented at $600, lower at $550. I've been told it's possible to get $400/room for this location if rented out to students. 

    Congrats mate. Is that $1150 rent a month on an outlay of only around 19k? 

    cheers

    Sam

  • Property Manager 路 NJ 路 Member since 2017 路 786 posts 路 396 votes
    6y

    congrats @Justin Wotring keep us updated with how things turn out, rehab pictures etc.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.