Rental Property Investor · Mason, MI · Member since 2018 · 11 posts · 1 vote
Hello. My partner and I are both starting out and bought a SFR to buy-and-hold. We made the mistake of getting absolutely nothing in writing. He was unable to qualify for the loan, so I took on the mortgage. Two months post-closing, I need to buy him out as I'd rather not attempt to quit claim to an LLC and put the time into documenting a structured partnership with an attorney.
These are his three demands:
1) his DP amount, plus the other expenses he has covered
2) Two years worth of would-be income
3) A share of the appreciation that has accrued since closing (two months)
I don’t have any problem with #1 above. But I want to know what you think of #2 and #3.
Purchased two months ago at $140,000 but it’s probably worth $170,000 now.
I'd do the first, not the second and for the third-why did it increase so much? If it went up because you did major renos, take that money out of the equation. So if you bought it for $140K, put in $20K and it is worth $170K now, after you put $20K in, it is worth another $10K-split 50:50, that is $5K for him.
Rental Property Investor · Mason, MI · Member since 2018 · 11 posts · 1 vote
6y
@Russell Brazil so we’re essentially evaluating what a hypothetical sale would be today? That makes a lot of sense. I hold all the cards and leverage, but I want to be as fair and equitable as possible. You have helped me accomplish that, which I appreciate. Thank you.
Rental Property Investor · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
6y
@Austin Smith I agree with @Wayne Brooks and why is your partner making demands? This is likely a sign that this partnership has something faulty in the foundation besides not having things in writing.
Hello. My partner and I are both starting out and bought a SFR to buy-and-hold. We made the mistake of getting absolutely nothing in writing. He was unable to qualify for the loan, so I took on the mortgage. Two months post-closing, I need to buy him out as I'd rather not attempt to quit claim to an LLC and put the time into documenting a structured partnership with an attorney.
These are his three demands:
1) his DP amount, plus the other expenses he has covered
2) Two years worth of would-be income
3) A share of the appreciation that has accrued since closing (two months)
I don’t have any problem with #1 above. But I want to know what you think of #2 and #3.
Purchased two months ago at $140,000 but it’s probably worth $170,000 now.
In some jurisdictions, verbal agreements are legally binding. I think I'd have coffee (or a beer) and together write down what you agreed to in the beginning. Then, make adjustments. Otherwise a lot of detail gets lost in all of the "where to's and what for's" and serious misunderstandings make attorneys rich. It would be better to sell the property and split the profits than lose a partner and friend. And next time, write out a well written agreement that both of you have a copy of and have the appropriate contingencies. Lawsuits and hard feelings last for years and you will long regret making a boneheaded mistake. Nothing personal, mind you.
Rental Property Investor · Member since 2019 · 304 posts · 462 votes
6y
There is an old saying; An agreement is not worth the paper it is NOT written on. Hopefully, you learned a valuable lesson from this experience and it is good it happened when you are just starting out. Always get everything in writing, even if you partner is your life-long best friend. People have short memories and will often forget things. A written agreement provides a written record of what was actually agreed to and the signatures verify that written record. $100 spent on an attorney today saves you thousands down the road.
Rental Property Investor · Sioux Falls, SD · Member since 2015 · 9k+ posts · 18k+ votes
6y
Give him three options. You may choose to change these options a little bit, but the point is you are giving him choice. Most likely offer 1 will look best, which is the intent:
1. Offer him the buy out price and show him the math as @Russell Brazil calculated it. Benefit to him is he can take his cash and reinvest.
2. Offer to sell it on the open market, after selling expenses and sales concessions, you are both going to get less money. This may not be your preferred option, but it is better than overpaying to buy him out.
3. Offer to hold the property and keep him as a silent partner. Ultimately the property is in your name as is the financing. At this point he is just a cash investor, not a lien holder or title holder. You have no legal requirement to deed anything to him. At best he could cloud the title for the amount he has invested.
Investor · Pittsburgh PA · Member since 2018 · 102 posts · 76 votes
6y
I hope there are no bad feelings in the end because it sounds like you used him to get the property and now that you have what you wanted you are ready to dump him. Discuss and agree to some terms that are fair to both of you and make better choices next time.
Real Estate Broker · Portland, OR · Member since 2019 · 4k+ posts · 2k+ votes
6y
Think item 2) is BS. What if you don't make a profit or have a fire and/or vacancies?
Item 3) you'll probably need a 3rd party appraisal, maybe a BOV is you both can find a broker you think is neutral.
You learned the lesson - Contracts involving money MUST be written. I've explained 100 times (well, almost), it's not because you don't trust the other parties, it's because everyone hears the same terms differently.
Real Estate Investor · Washington, DC · Member since 2014 · 37 posts · 10 votes
6y
@Austin Smith - Here are the options I would consider:
1) Don't buy him out. Why do you need to buy him out? Assuming this is a close friend, I would come up with a written agreement (nothing fancy) based on the deal the two of you thought you were getting into. However, if you do that, you do need to structure a promote or something for you for guaranteeing/originating the debt. You two got a deal done together, I would try to keep the relationship intact.
2) Sell the property and distribute the profits based on each others pro-rata share of invested capital. Obviously the cleanest way but probably not much of an ROI on time/capital involved.
3) Offer a return of capital plus his share of what the profits would be today if you sold the deal (after selling costs) and maybe the net present value (at a fair discount rate) of projected cash flow/appreciation for the first year or two. Not a common practice in my experience but he deserves more than the profits today if he took the risk with you and you're the one that wants him out. If he wants out, that's a different story.
Rental Property Investor · Cambridge, UK · Member since 2020 · 203 posts · 95 votes
6y
#1 I could accept
#2 perhaps get some legal advice
#3 is there a current appraisal showing the appreciation? If not, have him pay for the appraisal and then agree to a fraction of what you think he deserves.
Rental Property Investor · Minneapolis, MN · Member since 2016 · 214 posts · 132 votes
6y
@Austin Smith
How much sweat equity time and effort do you each have in? Value of each of your time should be accounted for. as an example, In my experience, a kitchen Reno is cheap to diy but takes many hours, expensive to hire done but takes less effort, can really increase demanded rent, but doesn’t come close to raising value enough to hire out.
You do sound like you might be the bad guy in this... you didn’t use him to renovate a rental property and are now trying to cut him out, are you? If something like this were happening to me, I’d want more money for my time than the increase in appraised value especially when Renovations go over budget or time, but will be ok in the long term due to cashflow.
Why can’t you keep it in your name and keep the partnership?
The proper time to cut, would have been before you bought once discovered he wasn’t lendable.
Once you both sell, you’ll both lose the same amount or gain the same amount. this likely won’t fix the friendship, and it sucks... been there. If you manage to save the friendship, please tell me what it took.
Port Richey, FL · Member since 2016 · 129 posts · 48 votes
6y
@Austin Smith if he is your partner and you are going to stay partners then this scenario does not make sense. Together you and your partner need to come to a solution. I would go back to your partner and talk/negotiate your way through this.
this sounds very sketchy on your part once you read the content. title makes it seem like he is in the wrong. Like others have said looks like you used him for the downpayment then got lazy and didnt want to do the process to put it in the LLC. bad business if you ask me.