First official investment property on the books!

First official investment property on the books!

Zach GringPro Member
Realtor · Saint Charles, IL · Member since 2020 · 126 posts · 101 votes

Hello BP members just wanted to reach out and say thank you to the mass of people that have shared some knowledge or helped me in the last few months just yesterday closed on my first official investment property (second rental though). If not for this wonderful group and website I’m not sure if I would have continued to push forward with this process.

When I found every real estate question I would pop into google has a link to some blog or forum on here i quickly realized this community might be what I need. In the beginning I think my joy and excitement of finding a network of like minded individuals may have caused my spouse to think it was some cult or something haha. She’s slowly warming up to real estate though and enjoys checking out BP these days.

Anyways, I got started on this journey back in January when all I thought I had to do was call a lender and go find something I could buy with the 8k I had in the bank (looking back it is funny now). Needless to say from books, blogs, audiobooks, podcasts and networking I was able to learn how to cut my liabilities/expenses and increase my savings rate to around 60%.

Repeatable consistent actions is what got me here and will bring me to my future goals.

•make time to read every day

•save more than you think you can (pay yourself first)

•find individuals to bounce deals and ideas off of that have no financial gains to you closing a deal***

•have reserves before going to closing table (buy what you can afford and still sleep well with affording)

•go to REIAS, meet people, break out of your shell, do what’s uncomfortable but also recognize and understand how not to waste someone’s time who’s helping you.

•hyper focus on one strategy, a Brandon turner line “quit building all these little bridges to one island focus on one bridge”

Deal I got was off market and was probably close to 60-80th deal I analyzed and well into the hundreds I looked at over the last few months.

Asking price 165,990

PP 161,000 plus 3k closing credits

Appraisal 186,000

PITI 1095.00

CF 240.00

2,500.00 in needed repairs

12,000 in finishing the rest of the basement for a home office and second bathroom, market will support 250-300 rental increase for this.

20% down conventional

3.5%/30 years

tenants are re signed already at 1,700.00 for 6 months in which they can decide if they want to stay with the upgrades and take the rental increase.

**with Covid I would recommend obtaining dated proof of rental payments from previous owner with tenant inheritance.

Purchased rental document package for Illinois off BP

A big shout out to the MVP of this deal that allowed me to bounce properties off of him for months, then when the time came gave me some contacts to help make sure I could close this deal. @Mark Ainley thank you for everything.

Thank you BP!

10Reply
77 views

Most Popular Reply

Dave SpoonerPro Member
Rental Property Investor · Cincinnati, OH · Member since 2020 · 869 posts · 823 votes
6y

@Zach Gring We're working on closing on another duplex right now. We've been going back and forth with the owner about some mold remediation that needs to be done in the basement and some trenching to avoid future problems. Hoping to get a good compromise worked out!

See this reply in the discussion

21 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Broker · Salt Lake City & Oklahoma City · Member since 2018 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    6y

    Atta boy @Zach Gring, way to go getting this deal in the works and good job seeking out knowledge from Mark along the way!

  • Zach GringPro Member
    OP
    Realtor · Saint Charles, IL · Member since 2020 · 126 posts · 101 votes
    6y

    @Will Fraser

    Thank you been quite the eye opening experience. Already planning the next one. Portfolio of properties? MFR? We'll see back to education

  • Jonathan KlemmBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Contractor · Chicago, IL · Member since 2016 · 4k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    6y

    @Zach Gring - Awesome story and congrats for knocking out what is hopefully the first of many!

    It's amazing how your life can change with a little reading, networking, and persistence haha.

    @Mark Ainley is definitely a great resource.

    Where was the property located?

  • Zach GringPro Member
    OP
    Realtor · Saint Charles, IL · Member since 2020 · 126 posts · 101 votes
    6y

    @Jonathan Klemm

    It definitely is remarkable to see some results even if it’s just the one door for now. Implementing actions now to scale a bit more in the coming months.

    He was not only an mvp on this deal but the priceless lessons was that he kept me from buying other properties that made sense and numbers worked on for reasons I had never considered yet. Probably saved me much more than this deal has made me.

    Property is located on the edge of Batavia to Geneva. Falls into all Geneva school districts.

    Pm me I’m always interested in networking with a contractor.

  • Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2017 · 824 posts · 1k+ votes
    6y

    Congrats @Zach Gring. One thing I'll tell you is unless you're going through the property with a fine tooth comb, be prepared for a good six months of issues popping up. Make sure your reserves are high enough to handle whatever your tenants find and need fixing/replacement. Within the first year on my duplex, I replaced one water heater, fixed a backed up sewage line, fixed the same pipe when it literally fell to the ground during a massive rain storm, pumped the basement out 3 times, added a new checkvalve, bought new fridge and new oven, and had to have the heater serviced twice. And that is just the first few months.

    Point is...these can be either items of operation, or items of pain. If you know (and are honest with yourself, as well not being so hard on yourself), you can quickly act to get someone in to solve these issues quickly.  And then its fixed.

    I'd recommend having 5k-10k in reserves just for the first few months and your first year to be relatively break-even, if not costing you a few bucks. That's OK - you're stabilizing the property, which makes Y2 so much better.

    Good luck!

  • Rental Property Investor · IL · Member since 2019 · 31 posts · 8 votes
    6y

    @Zach Gring congrats!

  • Zach GringPro Member
    OP
    Realtor · Saint Charles, IL · Member since 2020 · 126 posts · 101 votes
    6y

    @Joe P.

    Thanks for the words of wisdom, money is there. Also am proactively fixing things that were rigged up previously. I’m all for spending money to avoid the headache of spur of the moment calls. I appreciate your advice.

  • Rental Property Investor · Westminster, MD · Member since 2014 · 165 posts · 221 votes
    6y

    @Zach Gring

    Congratulations Zach! Way to go, on to the next one.

  • Zach GringPro Member
    OP
    Realtor · Saint Charles, IL · Member since 2020 · 126 posts · 101 votes
    6y

    @Patrick McGrath

    Oh I’m already working on it! Ha

  • Rental Property Investor · Fort Wayne, IN · Member since 2019 · 132 posts · 51 votes
    6y

    @Zach Gring Congrats sir! Well done, dawn of a new era.

  • Mark AinleyBusiness Member
    Property Manager · Roselle, IL (Chicago Suburb) · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    6y

    @Zach Gring Congrats on getting this to the finish line.  It is a great deal for long term hold.  You put alot of thought and covered the details on this one so it was you figuring out what info you needed and questions you should be asking.  Keep that same energy and path of planning on future deals.  As you know reach out anytime!

  • Architect · Chicago, IL · Member since 2020 · 214 posts · 236 votes
    6y

    Congratulations @Zach Gring!

    While many others were sitting and waiting to see what happens in the economy, you jumped in and finished a project which will now be earning you money while others are still sitting in wait...

    Way to go!

  • Zach GringPro Member
    OP
    Realtor · Saint Charles, IL · Member since 2020 · 126 posts · 101 votes
    6y

    @Samuel Pavlovcik

    It didn’t happen without a mix of emotions for sure. Even with a 10% reduction in rent it would still cash flow so I figured if the economy really hit the fan and values & rents took a hit I would still be okay long term.

    Thank you for kind comments.

  • Dave SpoonerPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Cincinnati, OH · Member since 2020 · 869 posts · 823 votes
    6y

    Congrats @Zach Gring! Awesome job, especially doing this during COVID. That's a great accomplishment, and I look forward to hearing what you do next.

  • Zach GringPro Member
    OP
    Realtor · Saint Charles, IL · Member since 2020 · 126 posts · 101 votes
    6y

    @Dave Spooner

    Thanks Dave, what are you working on lately?

  • Member since 2019 · 1 post · 1 vote
    6y

    Hey Zach!

    Congratulations on the new property!  I actually live in Geneva, IL so if you would ever want to connect and chat, talk some shop.  Shoot me a message and we'll connect!

    Kyle

  • Member since 2020 · 72 posts · 17 votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Joe P.:

    Congrats @Zach Gring. One thing I'll tell you is unless you're going through the property with a fine tooth comb, be prepared for a good six months of issues popping up. Make sure your reserves are high enough to handle whatever your tenants find and need fixing/replacement. Within the first year on my duplex, I replaced one water heater, fixed a backed up sewage line, fixed the same pipe when it literally fell to the ground during a massive rain storm, pumped the basement out 3 times, added a new checkvalve, bought new fridge and new oven, and had to have the heater serviced twice. And that is just the first few months.

    Point is...these can be either items of operation, or items of pain. If you know (and are honest with yourself, as well not being so hard on yourself), you can quickly act to get someone in to solve these issues quickly.  And then its fixed.

    I'd recommend having 5k-10k in reserves just for the first few months and your first year to be relatively break-even, if not costing you a few bucks. That's OK - you're stabilizing the property, which makes Y2 so much better.

    Good luck!

     Hi Joe! What would be a good system to have in place (due diligence) when inspecting the property to weed out houses that may end up costing tens of thousands in maintenance and repairs in the first few months of ownership? It seems that sometimes the numbers make sense for what you are purchasing it for but once it is in your hands it slowly starts to become apparent that there are more and more issues that show up.

  • Dave SpoonerPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Cincinnati, OH · Member since 2020 · 869 posts · 823 votes
    6y

    @Zach Gring We're working on closing on another duplex right now. We've been going back and forth with the owner about some mold remediation that needs to be done in the basement and some trenching to avoid future problems. Hoping to get a good compromise worked out!

  • Zach GringPro Member
    OP
    Realtor · Saint Charles, IL · Member since 2020 · 126 posts · 101 votes
    6y

    @Greg Koszkul

    I’m not sure what Joe will day in response to your question however I can give you what I did.

    I took my inspection report and for a couple dollars had a VA put every item into categories of possible repairs / preventative maintenance such as water, electrical, safety, cosmetics. This allowed to me easily prioritize repairs and preventative maintenance issues at the same time and before it was a big headache. Those issues are being handled on the front end. Yes, it will cause me to have more cash in the deal but, long term it will cause me less headaches and down the road if I want to pull some cash out of the property to improve my COCROI I could.

  • Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2017 · 824 posts · 1k+ votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Greg Koszkul:
    Originally posted by @Joe P.:

    Congrats @Zach Gring. One thing I'll tell you is unless you're going through the property with a fine tooth comb, be prepared for a good six months of issues popping up. Make sure your reserves are high enough to handle whatever your tenants find and need fixing/replacement. Within the first year on my duplex, I replaced one water heater, fixed a backed up sewage line, fixed the same pipe when it literally fell to the ground during a massive rain storm, pumped the basement out 3 times, added a new checkvalve, bought new fridge and new oven, and had to have the heater serviced twice. And that is just the first few months.

    Point is...these can be either items of operation, or items of pain. If you know (and are honest with yourself, as well not being so hard on yourself), you can quickly act to get someone in to solve these issues quickly.  And then its fixed.

    I'd recommend having 5k-10k in reserves just for the first few months and your first year to be relatively break-even, if not costing you a few bucks. That's OK - you're stabilizing the property, which makes Y2 so much better.

    Good luck!

     Hi Joe! What would be a good system to have in place (due diligence) when inspecting the property to weed out houses that may end up costing tens of thousands in maintenance and repairs in the first few months of ownership? It seems that sometimes the numbers make sense for what you are purchasing it for but once it is in your hands it slowly starts to become apparent that there are more and more issues that show up.

    Honestly? Experience and knowledge are probably the only substitutes, and either being able to comb through yourself or with someone that can do that is the only way. There's a book by J. Scott that I purchased that does a great job of helping to level set you if you aren't sure. 

  • Real Estate Broker · Aurora, IL · Member since 2017 · 159 posts · 53 votes
    5y

    @Zach Gring hey love the story and your willingness to share all the honest details! Gives inspiration to all and actionable advice! 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.