What is The best comps software?

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Agent/Investor · Peoria, AZ · Member since 2016 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
5y

@Menachem Bresler

Comps are more art than science. It can take some time, but you have to be able to compare similarities and adjust pricing based on slight differences between two properties. Automated software exists (desktop appraisals) but they don't really factor in the interior of the home and small nuances like a human appraiser would.

MLS (if you have access to it), Redfin, Realtor.com, etc. will show you sold comps and have enough filters to get an accurate representation of ARV.

See this reply in the discussion

10 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Will FraserPro Member
    Real Estate Broker · Salt Lake City & Oklahoma City · Member since 2018 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    5y

    @Menachem Bresler, what is your intended use for both of these? 

    CloudCMA is a good comps system for agent use and I would presume it could work for projecting ARVs to a degree (however, this is one of the hardest things to automate in the process, so it may require some finagling and creativity on the back end).

    Cost for Costar .  . . for listing properties?  That's the only use of Costar that I am aware of a charge for.  If so, check out CRexi

  • Real Estate Agent/Investor · Peoria, AZ · Member since 2016 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    5y

    @Menachem Bresler

    Comps are more art than science. It can take some time, but you have to be able to compare similarities and adjust pricing based on slight differences between two properties. Automated software exists (desktop appraisals) but they don't really factor in the interior of the home and small nuances like a human appraiser would.

    MLS (if you have access to it), Redfin, Realtor.com, etc. will show you sold comps and have enough filters to get an accurate representation of ARV.

  • Real Estate Agent · Rockland, MA · Member since 2020 · 33 posts · 10 votes
    5y

    I use RPR, but it's only available for realtors

  • Rental Property Investor · Pittsburgh, PA · Member since 2019 · 530 posts · 511 votes
    5y

    @Menachem Bresler

    I have a subscription to GeoDataPlus. I used to have RedBellRE. The biggest issue is that any software package has to rely on what realtors enter or public records. Accuracy varies greatly not just place to place but house to house. So if you are in a diverse neighborhood with different style homes, you would want to comps the ranches to rAnches and not the 2 story homes. This is where I have found every software tool is dicey. Additionally, “wrong side of the tracks” scenarios come up a lot. So my suggestion is use free tools such as Realtor.com or Zillow until you are confident in your craft, then look for tools that will bring value through spend or additional features (such as showing previous listings pix or expired homes that didn’t sell etc)

  • Rental Property Investor · Columbus, OH · Member since 2017 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Menachem Bresler:

    What is the best software for checking out comps for fix and flips? Also is there anything cheaper than Costar for multifamily?

     Call me old fashioned but I believe a local realtor who knows the market is the best comp maker. He'll know if houses are selling faster and higher then ever before, or if a certain attribute of a property makes it more desirable or less.

  • Joe HammelBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Metro Detroit, MI · Member since 2018 · 612 posts · 666 votes
    5y

    Currently, I stand behind there being no better source for comps and determining ARV than a "good" real estate agent using the MLS doing a CMA (comparative market analysis) or a BPO (Broker Price Opinion). Tell a good agent they will get your flip listing and ask them to run ARVs for you.

     There is so much to sift through and interpret when checking comps that algorithms can't do. Functional Obsolescences (factors that deter desire/demand/value), busy streets, which side of the street, is it updated gorgeous, is it a train wreck etc. As a general statement, comp software which are primarily algorithms, are based largely on averages of nearby sales. This works pretty well in cookie cutter or condominium complexes, but can be pretty far off (a flippers full profit margin) if in a diverse area.

    Sources for larger MF:

    Loopnet, Multifamily search in MLS, Commercial search in MLS.

    Best of Luck!! 

    FIRE Realty Team - Keller Williams5379 Reviews
  • Ian WalshBusiness Member
    Lender · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2016 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    5y

    Local MLS

  • Investor · Houston, TX · Member since 2020 · 6 posts · 1 vote
    5y

    I use LifeStyle Quest and also ask my agent since he has MLS access (if I need a second opinion). Hope that helps.

  • Real Estate Broker · Portland, OR · Member since 2019 · 4k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Will Fraser:

    @Menachem Bresler, what is your intended use for both of these? 

    Cost for Costar .  . . for listing properties?  That's the only use of Costar that I am aware of a charge for.  If so, check out CRexi

    Listing would be LoopNet (owned by CoStar) and I think you can do free listings there.

    Most of CoStar is sales comps and prop info on commercials (NOT SFRs).  CALL YOUR LOCAL COSTAR SALES FOR PRICE - But for sole practitioners, you may be looking at $300+/month.

    For comps, I have to begrudgingly admit, CoStar is probably best.

  • Houston, TX · Member since 2019 · 24 posts · 4 votes
    5y

    Thanks. I really appreciate all your responses!I should haves been more clear. I was specifically asking about commercial sale comps i.e. multifamily, industrial etc.. Does anyone have any experience with Reonomy or Crexi?

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.