1st Duplex investment #'s in Tacoma, WA!!!

1st Duplex investment #'s in Tacoma, WA!!!

Rental Property Investor · Tacoma, WA · Member since 2016 · 40 posts · 9 votes

Hello BP,

I am excited to announce I have my 1st duplex under contract. In the last 3-4 years I have invested my money in two house hack single famiy homes. I just sold my 1st house that became a rental and got a decent size profit through appreciation over time. I am going to rent out my current primary in Tacoma, WA once I move into my owner occupancy duplex. Here are the #'s.

Duplex PP: 399,000 2 bed 1 bath 844 sq ft. .43 of acre and zoned multi family. HUGE backyards.

Money down: 59k= 15% down owner occupancy.

Closing costs: May be negotiated but we will go with 10k.

All in 69k. Fair market rents are currently 1,495 a unit. 2 bed 1bath. 2990 total income. I will live in one side. and rent out the other room. House hack my side. Renting room for $500 a month. Making $250 a month living in my own dupex!?

Locked in at a 2.625% interest rate. Also bought out the mortgage insurance W/points. Giving me a 1,753 PITI.

5% cap ex 5% vacancy 5% repairs 5% Property management. Which I will do myself. 

1 year later potential: 2990 income-600 expenses-1753piti = $637 cash flow. $318.5 each door. 637x12= 7644 annually/69000= 11% return 

What do you guys think? Nervous about this one. Looking to park my cash somewhere from my 1st home rather than it sitting in the bank. Please, any advice helps! Inspection Tuesday!!!

Ryan

5Reply
32 views

Most Popular Reply

Realtor · Bellevue, WA · Member since 2019 · 882 posts · 1k+ votes
5y

@Ryan Rogers, congrats.

House hack is a great way to get into a pretty expensive market like Seattle/Tacoma/...

I jsut wanted to ask what did you include in the $600 expenses. Does this include (Vacancy, cap ex, Repairs, ...)?

See this reply in the discussion

6 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Specialist · Plano, TX · Member since 2020 · 2k+ posts · 861 votes
    5y

    What an exciting time. Congratulations, @Ryan Rogers

  • Rental Property Investor · Tacoma, WA · Member since 2016 · 40 posts · 9 votes
    5y

    @Marlen Weber thank you!!!

  • Rental Property Investor · Seattle, WA · Member since 2017 · 383 posts · 248 votes
    5y

    @Ryan Rogers congrats! Super exciting. Where in Tacoma?

  • Realtor · Bellevue, WA · Member since 2019 · 882 posts · 1k+ votes
    5y

    @Ryan Rogers, congrats.

    House hack is a great way to get into a pretty expensive market like Seattle/Tacoma/...

    I jsut wanted to ask what did you include in the $600 expenses. Does this include (Vacancy, cap ex, Repairs, ...)?

  • Rental Property Investor · Tacoma, WA · Member since 2016 · 40 posts · 9 votes
    5y

    @Sherief Elbassuoni I was pretty conservative and only did 5% for each expense. Property management later down the road will be about 10% but so will rents!

  • Realtor · Bellevue, WA · Member since 2019 · 882 posts · 1k+ votes
    5y

    @Ryan Rogers, yes, I see.

    I feel that some of these expenses may go a little high, but it is great that you took this step.

    For property management fees, you need to factor the first month of gross rent the property manager takes as "placement fees". This will make your actual management fees 18.5% (10% management + 8.5% which is one month of rent divided by 12 months)

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.