New to real estate investing

7 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Member since 2024 · 21 posts · 16 votes
    2y

    You're in the right place... What are a few things about real estate that interests you? Neighborhoods; rehab; design; investing principals like leverage, appreciation? Stay excited & curious! 

  • Manny VasquezBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Orange County · Member since 2022 · 317 posts · 293 votes
    2y

    Cassiem - Welcome to the BP community! This is the best place for all things real estate related. This is what I recommend for you to learn more about real estate:

    1. Read as many RE books as you can get your hands on. Here are a few I recommend: "Rich Dad, Poor Dad" by Roberto Kiyosaki; "Set for Life" by Scott Trench; "The Unofficial Guide to Real Estate Investing" by Spencer; "The BiggerPockets Ultimate Beginners Guide" found here on BP; "The Book on Rental Property Investing" by Brandon Tuner. This will give you a good starting point

    2. Attend meetups and meet as many people in RE as you can. Since you are just graduating college you may already realize that it's not what you know, but who you know (as a personal note, I had college friends that were barely passing their classes however they ended up with really good paying jobs due to "who they knew"). As they say, your network will be your net-worth.

    3. You could also get a Full-Time or Part-Time job in any part of real estate....working for a top Real Estate office on weeknights and weekends, working for an RE Investor, working for a General Contractor and learning a few skills, etc. This way you can ramp up your savings AND learn some RE skills.

    4. Timing the market does not work. However, time in the market makes all the difference in the world!  Put what you learn into practice!

    I hope this helps and good luck on your real estate journey!

  • Jeffrey McKeePro Member
    Real Estate Agent · Plano, TX · Member since 2013 · 477 posts · 89 votes
    2y

    Welcome Cassiem! BP is a fantastic resource for learning about real estate investing, rental property management, financing options, market analysis, and much more. Whether you're a beginner or an experienced investor, there's always something new to discover on BP. All the best!

  • Robin SimonBusiness Member
    Lender · Austin, TX · Member since 2022 · 5k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    2y

    Welcome to BiggerPockets - lots of great resources here to work through!

  • Real Estate Investor · Milwaukee, WI · Member since 2017 · 25 posts · 9 votes
    2y

    You should consider learning about house hacking, BRRRR (Buy, Rehab, Rent, Refinance, and Repeat) and group home investing, I feel. That's where I am starting, at least.

  • Investor · Miami Beach, FL · Member since 2017 · 362 posts · 109 votes
    2y

    Welcome here! let's connect and see how we could help

  • Member since 2023 · 2 posts · 0 votes
    2y

    Hi I am Roshni and I am looking to get a rental property in San Antonio, Tx. However, I would like to know about the developments going on there, rent and house appreciation in 5 to 10 years and I am looking for LTR.

    Also, new to investing and this is my first property.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.