Fannie Mae 5% Down Multifamily Loan: A Double-Edged Sword

Fannie Mae 5% Down Multifamily Loan: A Double-Edged Sword

Real Estate Agent · Worcester, MA · Member since 2018 · 518 posts · 410 votes

In November 2023, Fannie Mae introduced a new policy allowing owner-occupant loans on 2-4 family homes with just 5% down, a significant change from the previous requirement of a minimum 15% down payment. One might think this would help first-time owner-occupant homebuyers enter the housing market. Unfortunately, it has also served to prop up the housing market just when it was about to slow down.

Before this, the only multifamily low-down payment program available was the FHA loan, which required as little as 3.5% down. One of the key features of the FHA loan was the Self-Sufficiency Test, which helped keep prices in check. This test ensured that 75% of the total monthly rent for the building would cover the mortgage, taxes, and insurance on the property.

For example, consider a three-family property generating $2,000 per floor, totaling $6,000 in rent. The Self-Sufficiency Test would allow 75% of that, or $4,500, to cover monthly expenses. If the property costs $600,000 with a 3.5% down payment at a 7% mortgage rate, along with typical taxes and insurance, the monthly expenses could be around $4,700. In this case, the FHA would not approve the loan, serving as a good check on prices.

However, with the new 5% down Fannie Mae loan, this check and balance is no longer in place. Motivated buyers are now bidding up houses to prices they cannot realistically afford. This has had the dual negative effect of artificially inflating prices and putting buyers in precarious financial positions.

In Worcester, we have seen properties with $6k a month in rent sell for as much as $720k which has directly contributed to a run-up in prices which has priced out most first-time buyers.

While the intention behind the Fannie Mae 5% down program may have been to help first-time homebuyers, it’s essential to consider the broader impact on the housing market and buyer stability. Careful regulation and oversight are needed to ensure that such programs truly benefit those they aim to help without unintended negative consequences.

14Reply
112 views

Most Popular Reply

Andrew SyriosPro Member
Moderator
Residential Real Estate Investor · Kansas City, MO · Member since 2014 · 10k+ posts · 5k+ votes
2y

Every subsidy to housing increases housing prices. Politicians just don't seem to be able to come to grips with that obvious fact.

That being said, this policy could definitely help house hackers going forward. 

See this reply in the discussion

22 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Andrew SyriosPro Member
    Moderator
    Residential Real Estate Investor · Kansas City, MO · Member since 2014 · 10k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    2y

    Every subsidy to housing increases housing prices. Politicians just don't seem to be able to come to grips with that obvious fact.

    That being said, this policy could definitely help house hackers going forward. 

  • Andrew FreedBusiness Member
    Investor · Worcester, MA · Member since 2020 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    2y

    @Brian J Allen - Agreed, some of these properties in Worcester are way over priced and do not make sense at the sales price for some of these househackers. Personally, in Worcester, I think $600Kish is a good range for a 9 bed 3 bath based off the revenue. At $700K for some of these 3 families, the numbers simply don't make sense. Good observation. 

  • Real Estate Broker · Chicago · Member since 2021 · 2 posts · 4 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Andrew Freed:

    @Brian J Allen - Agreed, some of these properties in Worcester are way over priced and do not make sense at the sales price for some of these househackers. Personally, in Worcester, I think $600Kish is a good range for a 9 bed 3 bath based off the revenue. At $700K for some of these 3 families, the numbers simply don't make sense. Good observation. 


     Brian, great post. We have seen this first hand in the Chicago market as well. This will only compound as interest rates fall in the future. 

  • Developer · New York City, NY · Member since 2015 · 812 posts · 718 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Andrew Syrios:

    Every subsidy to housing increases housing prices. Politicians just don't seem to be able to come to grips with that obvious fact.

    That being said, this policy could definitely help house hackers going forward. 


    Wait until Harris introduces the 25k first time buyers assistance program.  The bubble will pop soon enough. Build up your cash reserves people...
  • Andrew SyriosPro Member
    Moderator
    Residential Real Estate Investor · Kansas City, MO · Member since 2014 · 10k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    2y
    Quote from @Calvin Thomas:
    Quote from @Andrew Syrios:

    Every subsidy to housing increases housing prices. Politicians just don't seem to be able to come to grips with that obvious fact.

    That being said, this policy could definitely help house hackers going forward. 


    Wait until Harris introduces the 25k first time buyers assistance program.  The bubble will pop soon enough. Build up your cash reserves people...

    It will be nice to see the value of our portfolios skyrocket after that. Too bad she'll also strip us of our ability to count depreciation against income and uhh, I don't bankrupt the country even faster than it's already being bankrupted

  • Sarita ScherpereelBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Chicago, IL · Member since 2018 · 659 posts · 376 votes
    2y

    We had several lenders in the Chicago market that offered off the shelf financing with 10% down programs. That helped fill the gap between FHA and 20% down programs. However, the FHA buyers were by far the worse in the Chicago market. The 5% down program has helped equalize a lot that volatility. The issue in Chicago is our unique 2-4 unit inventory that is still more approachable in price compared to other big city markets. We see a lot of out of state and country investors here. One thing that is really important to remember about Chicago is that is has many different subeconomic markets in it. People on BP make vast generalizations about "Chicago" but there's a so many areas, neighborhoods and communities that falls under that name. Each have different ROIs and characterizations on "good" investing.

    Buyers are willing to pay more in the North side of the city. Especially if the building is less than a 15 minute walk to the train. They gouge prices. Location gouge the price. Good 100 year old buildings in that market also creates a strong sense of urgency with buyers with 5% down. It's just so different than the COC return of the south or far west sides.

  • Real Estate Agent · Worcester, MA · Member since 2018 · 518 posts · 410 votes
    2y

    @Sarita Scherpereel I am in total agreement with you on this concept of neighborhoods.  In Worcester MA we have the same thing.  We have 33 public elementary schools which create neighborhood groups, and some are buying for neighborhood, and others are buying to rent to section 8.  You just have to enter into any discussion on a property with what you are trying to accomplish.  One of the biggest issues with 5% down loans is they are so attractive and change the value proposition for the building.  And for many of these buyers, if one of the tenants stops paying, they don't have the reserves to make their payments.  As we know, it happens all the time.

  • Sarita ScherpereelBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Chicago, IL · Member since 2018 · 659 posts · 376 votes
    2y

    Oh definitely. Unfortunately, so many buyers are not working with agents that talk to them about reserves and capex planning. We host a monthly real estate meetup and we have people that come to that all the time and complain about what they didn't know. It's tough. Buyers want to be in an area that makes sense for them and risk a lot to get there but it can be shortsighted. The 5% down programs help get them into the deal but they need a plan for what comes next. 

  • Johnny McKeonPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Mesa, AZ · Member since 2016 · 101 posts · 72 votes
    2y

    I'm a licensed Realtor who represented myself in this transaction and I closed on a 4plex in Mesa Arizona beginning of June 2024 for $1 Million taking advantage of Fannie Mae 5% down ($50k) owner occupied loan ($950k loan) to house hack this property. All units are 3bed/2baths. 2005 year built. Excellent location in Mesa.

    I shopped around and I found a mortgage broker who was able to get me a 6.99% rate who took the loan to UWM (united wholesale mortgage).

    I negotiated a $15k seller concession I used for a 1-0 buy down so my rate for 1 year will be 5.99% and then revert to 6.99% for 30yrs. and then we used the rest of the concessions for closing costs. in 6 months or 12 months I will revisit to see if mortgage interest rates dropped significantly to justify a refinance to lock in a lower interest rate.

    part of the approval process for the Fannie Mae 5% mortgage is to make sure that i could afford this property and that i have good credit, my income is consistent and stable and it reflects that on my tax returns, I have sufficient capital reserves for the subject property and my other 10 Multifamily properties (6 months of PITI for the subject and then it's percentage based off of the loan amounts and how many properties you have)

    I agree, the more that government "helps" they therefore are increasing pricing. (more dollars chasing fewer goods is a recipe for inflation). With Fannie Mae and the other conforming loan programs you still have to qualify to be approved and deemed you can afford the new purchase. I've used VA, Fannie, FHA , a commercial lender and they required extensive docs. my bank statement loans, DSCR, and Seller finance didn't require that much docs. I don't agree with the claim you made they're approving loans for buyers who can't afford their new payment. I agree with you that this program will be one of many factors in why prices increase



    There are two kinds of inflation:

    1.Non-monetary inflation.
    Prices go up because of government restrictions, lockdowns, regulations, Disrupting Supply chains causing prices to increase

    2. Monetary inflation:

    • The Federal Reserve (Fed) can increase the money supply by changing the target fed funds rate, buying Treasury securities or MBS (Mtg backed securities) to lower rates. increasing the money supply, which banks can then lend to consumers and businesses.
    • Debt monetization. The government can borrow money from the central bank to buy goods and services, and then repay the debt by printing more money. This is essentially the same as printing money to buy goods in the first place.
    • Quantitative easing. This monetary policy is intended to lower interest rates.


    essentially

    when you print currency your devaluing it causing prices to increase (more dollars chasing fewer goods)
    also lowering interest rates has a stimulative effect to increase pricing because people borrow more
    And it will make consumer goods and asset prices more expensive

    The people that survive and thrive during inflation are the ones that are buying assets and I believe low down payment loan programs are great for buyers just getting started and for buyers who already own property. I would probably be still working as an AZ State Corrections Officer making $20hr and I wouldn't have my rental portfolio if it wasn't for my 0% down VA loan, FHA 3.5% and Fannie 5% down. Those loan programs allowed me to get into the real estate game and buy my 1st property in 2017 after separating from the U.S. ARMY and buy multiple properties after.

  • Lender · CA · Member since 2018 · 637 posts · 393 votes
    2y

    I would actually push back against this a bit. The FHA self-sustainability rule was only introduced in March of 2023 at the lobbying of a lot of larger landlords and property buyers. The goal was disguised as helping protect "the little guy" but it was really to keep FHA buyers out of higher cost desirable 3-4 unit properties in high-cost areas. Often even without self-sustainability test, these FHA buyers were finding themselves in nicer properties with their portion of the payment being less than rent and they OWNED the property (so they got to enjoy tax benefits, appreciation etc.). While I agree that inherently more buyer optionality = higher prices for homes (more demand with same supply will do that). The 5% down option was a great counter to the self-sustainability test that prevented a lot of people from taking part in the American dream and buying multifamily property. The 5% down option still requires a full underwrite and requires the buyers to pass the DTI calculation so no one is buying anything that they do not qualify for. Food for thought.

  • Real Estate Agent · Chicago, IL · Member since 2017 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    2y

    I bought my first 4 unit house hack in 2019 with this same 5% home possible loan its nothing new. It went away for a little but we always had 10 down programs that skipped self sufficiency test for clients. 

    The biggest issue with self sufficiency test is conservative underwriting on rents or using current low rents. 90%+ of my clients raise the rents drastically in Chicago after purchase. Its not uncommon to see 2/1s in avondale on a 3 flat at $1100 each and you go in do cosmetic updates and bump each unit to $1900-2000. Especially now with rates where they are, pushing rents is only way to make numbers work. 

  • New to Real Estate · Bay Area California · Member since 2022 · 178 posts · 69 votes
    2y

    I have been wanting to buy a multi family in Palo Alto, CA where I live currently. So far, both my realtor and loan officer are saying that the multi family units in Palo Alto are not good deals and are overpriced. How do I know if this is true? What should I look at to decide if I should go for it anyway?

  • Real Estate Agent · Worcester, MA · Member since 2018 · 518 posts · 410 votes
    2y

    @Clayton Silva and @Henry Lazerow @Johnny McKeon

    Thank you for chiming in here. I also took advantage of a 3.5% FHA loan in 1999 when I was recently divorced and could only afford the 3 family that I bought. But sadly times are different. I do about 40 multifamily transactions a year and speak to most of the agents in my area(Worcester,MA) who do multifamily as well. What we are seeing is high rents making multifamily homeowners out of people who have no business owning a home. Due to the bias against low down payment loans from sellers and sellers agents these buyers end up getting the worst of the houses. 75% of the multifamily market in Worcester was built between 1890 and 1920 and have major issues. The 5% down loan allows them to go the conventional route and most are skipping home inspections and have agents who are unfamiliar with the issues they can run into with Knob and Tube wiring, lead paint and older windows/roofs. The banks are originating these loans and selling them off and not explaining to people they are buying a ticking time bomb. At least with FHA the appraiser has a little control over the house. I look forward to future comments.

  • Lender · CA · Member since 2018 · 637 posts · 393 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Brian J Allen:

    @Clayton Silva and @Henry Lazerow @Johnny McKeon

    Thank you for chiming in here. I also took advantage of a 3.5% FHA loan in 1999 when I was recently divorced and could only afford the 3 family that I bought. But sadly times are different. I do about 40 multifamily transactions a year and speak to most of the agents in my area(Worcester,MA) who do multifamily as well. What we are seeing is high rents making multifamily homeowners out of people who have no business owning a home. Due to the bias against low down payment loans from sellers and sellers agents these buyers end up getting the worst of the houses. 75% of the multifamily market in Worcester was built between 1890 and 1920 and have major issues. The 5% down loan allows them to go the conventional route and most are skipping home inspections and have agents who are unfamiliar with the issues they can run into with Knob and Tube wiring, lead paint and older windows/roofs. The banks are originating these loans and selling them off and not explaining to people they are buying a ticking time bomb. At least with FHA the appraiser has a little control over the house. I look forward to future comments.

    I don't actually disagree with this and will say that may be market specific for you.  We do 5% down transactions across the country and believe me when I say, I have seen some terrible realtors and some really good ones.  A bad realtor that is waiving inspections on a property like that is largely to blame for NAR lawsuits and other pending litigation.  We track our post-closing default rates and in past 4 years we had like 1 file and I think they ended up catching up on payments.  I would never ever advise a client to waive inspections on their first time purchase.  Again, worth mentioning, is that conventional guidelines are actually more strict than FHA guidelines when it comes to DTI calculations and qualification.
  • Lender · CA · Member since 2018 · 637 posts · 393 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Kwanza P.:

    I have been wanting to buy a multi family in Palo Alto, CA where I live currently. So far, both my realtor and loan officer are saying that the multi family units in Palo Alto are not good deals and are overpriced. How do I know if this is true? What should I look at to decide if I should go for it anyway?


     Often lenders and realtors only look at cash flow and not global cash flow.  What I mean by this is that if a multi family is cheaper than renting (ie, your portion of the mortgage is lower than renting in the area and it saves you money on your monthly housing expense, it might be worthwhile looking into even if the net cash flow is "negative").  

  • Gino BarbaroPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · St Augustine, FL · Member since 2014 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    2y

    @Brian J Allen

    I'm sorry, but it doesn't take an underwriting whiz to realize that a 1920's home generating 6k per month is way overpriced at 720k. They are just creating another bubble/crash so that the hedge funds come in and buy them at a material discount.

    I hope investors are not paying these prices. I could see an owner occupant maybe making it work because they live there.

  • Real Estate Agent · Worcester, MA · Member since 2018 · 518 posts · 410 votes
    2y

    @Gino Barbaro it is great to see you weighing in on this discussion.  I went to your event in Orlando a couple years ago and it was eye opening for me.  Worcester MA has been a hot market for the last 4 years or so, a lot because Boston is so expensive and the uptick of Work From Home.  The only "investors" that are buying are a) current investors who are growing their portfolios with "dollar cost averaging" and b) High Earning W2 buyers who want the depreciation and are able to just break even on a 15 yr mtg with 25% down.  The rest of the buyers are owner occupants or first time home buyers.  But with rents rising so fast, buying multifamily is the only way they can even touch a house.  As you said, " a 1920's home generating 6k a month is overpriced at 720k" but a 1920's SF home that is smaller than one of the 3 apartments in the multifamily on a similar size lot for $450k makes that $720k option more realistic.  The 5% down buyers are driving all types of property prices up.  The difference here is we are a secondary market and the overflow buyers from the primary market (Boston) see these prices as a STEAL since they can Work From Home.

  • Gino BarbaroPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · St Augustine, FL · Member since 2014 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    2y

    @Brian J Allen

    If I was living in that market and trying to get into real estate. I would move. That market, when the economy does turn, is gonna get adjusted downward first. Investors chasing yield in secondary and tertiary markets are a sign of high prices.

    You have so many problems in the Northeast. I was a NYer who left seven years ago because I could not in good conscience pay the property taxes on my home. Compound that with the other taxation, and high earners leaving, you are going to get even higher taxes.

    I have a home in Florida that is worth more than two times what my home NY was, and yet the taxes are half, and I don't have state income tax.

    I would NEVER dollar cost average my real estate portfolio. I'm sorry, but that makes zero sense to me. And I would never invest for tax benefits. Any CPA worth it would tell you never to do that. They are the benefits.

  • Real Estate Agent · Worcester, MA · Member since 2018 · 518 posts · 410 votes
    2y

    @Gino Barbaro. I do not let my clients do that.  I just ask the buyers what they are doing and why they purchase negative cash flow properties and that is their response.  And a lot of this is fueled by the money they saw others make when rates are low, and the thought that inflation will continue and they will never be able to own a house.  I agree, it is hard to pay the taxes in MA, and now our insurance costs are going up as well, so it is very difficult to make things work

  • Developer · New York City, NY · Member since 2015 · 812 posts · 718 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Andrew Syrios:
    Quote from @Calvin Thomas:
    Quote from @Andrew Syrios:

    Every subsidy to housing increases housing prices. Politicians just don't seem to be able to come to grips with that obvious fact.

    That being said, this policy could definitely help house hackers going forward. 


    Wait until Harris introduces the 25k first time buyers assistance program.  The bubble will pop soon enough. Build up your cash reserves people...

    It will be nice to see the value of our portfolios skyrocket after that. Too bad she'll also strip us of our ability to count depreciation against income and uhh, I don't bankrupt the country even faster than it's already being bankrupted


     It's going to make the real estate market even harder for first time home buyers to jump into. I truly believe the powers that be are trying to make the US into a renters nation.  Some here may say, hey, I'm a landlord, that's great!  Until they start to use these new laws and mandates against you.

    Remember, just a few short years ago, the lockdown and the ability for people to not pay their rent nation wide was crippling small landlords.   The medium and large corporations were fine. The small landlords got hurt badly. The government is not your friend.  They are friends with the money, and that is all.

    All these new regulations are going to hurt the working / middle class, and turn us closer into a state run country.  The budget is out of control, and the brain trust at the Fed is going to unleash inflation even worse than before. We have morons running the government, and we're all going to get screwed eventually...

  • Real Estate Agent · Worcester, MA · Member since 2018 · 518 posts · 410 votes
    2y

    I agree, the Government is NOT YOUR FRIEND

  • Andrew SyriosPro Member
    Moderator
    Residential Real Estate Investor · Kansas City, MO · Member since 2014 · 10k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    2y
    Quote from @Calvin Thomas:
    Quote from @Andrew Syrios:
    Quote from @Calvin Thomas:
    Quote from @Andrew Syrios:

    Every subsidy to housing increases housing prices. Politicians just don't seem to be able to come to grips with that obvious fact.

    That being said, this policy could definitely help house hackers going forward. 


    Wait until Harris introduces the 25k first time buyers assistance program.  The bubble will pop soon enough. Build up your cash reserves people...

    It will be nice to see the value of our portfolios skyrocket after that. Too bad she'll also strip us of our ability to count depreciation against income and uhh, I don't bankrupt the country even faster than it's already being bankrupted


     It's going to make the real estate market even harder for first time home buyers to jump into. I truly believe the powers that be are trying to make the US into a renters nation.  Some here may say, hey, I'm a landlord, that's great!  Until they start to use these new laws and mandates against you.

    Remember, just a few short years ago, the lockdown and the ability for people to not pay their rent nation wide was crippling small landlords.   The medium and large corporations were fine. The small landlords got hurt badly. The government is not your friend.  They are friends with the money, and that is all.

    All these new regulations are going to hurt the working / middle class, and turn us closer into a state run country.  The budget is out of control, and the brain trust at the Fed is going to unleash inflation even worse than before. We have morons running the government, and we're all going to get screwed eventually...

    I agree, the big thing the $25,000 credit will do is just drive the price of housing up all the more. Maybe long term it will incentivize more building, but we're already building at a very fast clip. 

    In the end it will even hurt the homeowners it's supposed to help as the biggest hinderance to buying a home right now is the mortgage payment which will go up as housing prices go up.
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.