Detroit the first to start tear down houses program? 450 a WEEK

Detroit the first to start tear down houses program? 450 a WEEK

Real Estate Investor · the villages, FL · Member since 2008 · 5k+ posts · 3k+ votes

http://news.yahoo.com/home-demolitions-turn-detroit-blank-canvas-050316719.html

Anyone buy any of "these great cash flow properties" in Detroit or some other mid west areas? Might be some other neighborhoods to follow. I remember seeing a house for $10 in that area a couple years ago. Rich

0Reply
14 views

Most Popular Reply

St.Louis, MO · Member since 2013 · 26 posts · 10 votes
12y

why tear down the houses. That is not a smart idea, yes some areas are in blight but doesn't mean mass amount of homes need to be torn down. Salvageable homes should be rehabbed to keep the history and culture alive with in a city. This is preserving a culture, history, and identity within a city. this is what happened in the 60's in american cities called Urban Renewal, Mass areas of cities were destroyed and along with it neighborhoods and and culture. Only to be replaces with suburban type developments. What tends to follow this act are developments and homes built to suburban standards and little architectural details. This re development will stick out like a sore thumb surrounded by historical homes built in a dense pattern. Some investors only think about money, how about the community? I also understand the flip side saying these properties lead to low property values and high crime, implementing a community improvement district and other incentives such as tax breaks can draw investors to this area. Put the money spent tearing these homes down into more police or increased safety measures. How about use the money to help and preserve the neighborhood

See this reply in the discussion

6 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • St.Louis, MO · Member since 2013 · 26 posts · 10 votes
    12y

    why tear down the houses. That is not a smart idea, yes some areas are in blight but doesn't mean mass amount of homes need to be torn down. Salvageable homes should be rehabbed to keep the history and culture alive with in a city. This is preserving a culture, history, and identity within a city. this is what happened in the 60's in american cities called Urban Renewal, Mass areas of cities were destroyed and along with it neighborhoods and and culture. Only to be replaces with suburban type developments. What tends to follow this act are developments and homes built to suburban standards and little architectural details. This re development will stick out like a sore thumb surrounded by historical homes built in a dense pattern. Some investors only think about money, how about the community? I also understand the flip side saying these properties lead to low property values and high crime, implementing a community improvement district and other incentives such as tax breaks can draw investors to this area. Put the money spent tearing these homes down into more police or increased safety measures. How about use the money to help and preserve the neighborhood

  • Investor · Ferndale, MI · Member since 2013 · 130 posts · 41 votes
    12y

    @Mathuw Chandler

    I believe you are severely underestimating the blight within certain neighborhoods, and the city as a whole. Detroit has suffered from high arson rates for decades. This means any of these homes are not only vacant, but half burned down. There is no way fully grasp the city and it's problems, along with it's positives, without having spend time there and seeing it first hand.

  • Real Estate Investor · Madison Heights, MI · Member since 2014 · 693 posts · 216 votes
    12y
    Originally posted by @Mathuw Chandler:
    why tear down the houses. That is not a smart idea, yes some areas are in blight but doesn't mean mass amount of homes need to be torn down. Salvageable homes should be rehabbed to keep the history and culture alive with in a city. This is preserving a culture, history, and identity within a city. this is what happened in the 60's in american cities called Urban Renewal, Mass areas of cities were destroyed and along with it neighborhoods and and culture. Only to be replaces with suburban type developments. What tends to follow this act are developments and homes built to suburban standards and little architectural details. This re development will stick out like a sore thumb surrounded by historical homes built in a dense pattern. Some investors only think about money, how about the community? I also understand the flip side saying these properties lead to low property values and high crime, implementing a community improvement district and other incentives such as tax breaks can draw investors to this area. Put the money spent tearing these homes down into more police or increased safety measures. How about use the money to help and preserve the neighborhood

    You people drive me nuts. Please come for a visit and I will take you on a tour. I will be armed with one gun on the hip and one under my shoulder and hell I will even throw in the ankle pistol I have.

    You are clueless. They steal everything. You rehab it and have it empty for a week and there will be nothing left. No wires, no copper, no furnace, no nothing. These houses can't even be called houses. They are all burnt out shells.

    Send me money and I will find you some great deals.

  • Real Estate Investor · the villages, FL · Member since 2008 · 5k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    12y

    Scott W- I hope you're not including me in the people "that drive me nuts". I posted threads on BP years ago warning people to not buy ghetto property and especially in the larger midwest towns. Detroit is a sorry area and there are others. Rich

  • Real Estate Investor · Madison Heights, MI · Member since 2014 · 693 posts · 216 votes
    12y
    Originally posted by @Rich Weese:
    Scott W- I hope you're not including me in the people "that drive me nuts". I posted threads on BP years ago warning people to not buy ghetto property and especially in the larger midwest towns. Detroit is a sorry area and there are others. Rich

    No Rich not you. For people to think that these properties could be saved and fixed is just crazy.

    People can't tell me anything about Detroit's neighborhoods. I go into these hoods everyday. These are burned out shells with nothing left. There are 1000's of them.

  • Real Estate Investor · the villages, FL · Member since 2008 · 5k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    12y

    I've posted it on BP before, but here is my definition where I won't come close to buying property-simply 2 rules.

    1. Wifey should feel safe driving through during daylight.

    2. I want to feel I could collect rent at night WITHOUT a .357.

    If it doesn't pass this simple test-it is a ghetto, imo. Rich

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.