Why American Landlords Love Refugee Tenants

5 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Linda WeygantPro Member
    Investor and CPA · Arvada, CO · Member since 2015 · 2k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    10y

    I've been thinking about this a lot.  I have two vacancies right now that I'd consider filling with refugees.  Thanks for the link!

  • Dawn AnastasiPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Milwaukee, WI · Member since 2013 · 6k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    10y

    If someone is in the country legally, and takes care of my property and pays the rent, I'd be more than happy to rent to them, whomever they are.

  • Contractor · Cleveland, OH · Member since 2016 · 116 posts · 50 votes
    10y

    That was a great article.

  • Rental Property Investor · San Diego, CA · Member since 2016 · 507 posts · 171 votes
    9y

    Great article and I definitely agree. My parents were Vietnam war refugees and they always took care of our house. It was government housing but still, you get the point. They always made sure to pay the rent on time and to work hard to make sure they could. Refugees don't take a stable roof over their heads for granted which is how they differ from other renters. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Milwaukee, WI · Member since 2016 · 62 posts · 28 votes
    9y
    While I firmly believe immigrants are what made, and currently make, America the best nation on earth, the Syrian issue has a lot more depth. The US admits there is not a way to vet who they let in. This combined with the foreign fighter flow (FFF) should be cause for concern. While I'm not an advocate for closed boarders, it has been well documented that there are very limited ways to fully vet who the US let's in. As for anyone who thinks that a tenet who pays their rent on time and doesn't cause any issues is sunshine and rainbows, they would do well to remember that all of the 9/11 hijackers rented homes, paid their bills on time, and didn't cause any problems.
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.