Rental Property Investor · SE Michigan · Member since 2014 · 4k+ posts · 6k+ votes
10y
I see that the author chose probably the most heart-wrenching example he could find to make his point.
The story would have fallen apart if he had written about the family that bought a $4000 TV and therefore couldn't pay the rent.
Of the Section 8 housing people I have had as renters, I had one that managed their household well. I had two that were total disasters in almost everything they did. (Example, smash the electric meter with a baseball bat to get out of paying electric bills, which matched the general destruction they did on the interior.)
One of the reasons the landlord here is wealthy is because he has had the financial self-discipline. I'm glad the article points out that he has helped a lot of tenants because of it.