COVID - deleting Airbnb account

COVID - deleting Airbnb account

Professional · Jersey City, NJ · Member since 2015 · 31 posts · 3 votes

Hope everyone is faring the best they can. We are experiencing mass cancellations at our two Airbnb apartments, and are considering deleting our account and turning the apartments into short-term rentals at least through year-end. Does anyone have experience deleting an Airbnb listing? If so, what are the repercussions? Many thanks. 

0Reply
38 views

Most Popular Reply

Rental Property Investor · Ithaca, NY · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
6y
Originally posted by @Tim McCahill:

Hope everyone is faring the best they can. We are experiencing mass cancellations at our two Airbnb apartments, and are considering deleting our account and turning the apartments into short-term rentals at least through year-end. Does anyone have experience deleting an Airbnb listing? If so, what are the repercussions? Many thanks. 

 Tim, the repercussion would be becoming a billion dollar company's competitor. So you'll need to do everything they do for you on your own. Market, account, customer service, disputes, etc. better than them. Not saying you won't fare, but you asked what the repercussion would be and from my perspective that was it. But I believe in the entrepreneurial spirit and think you can do it. Good luck man, I might be following suit and start renting out to veterans. 

See this reply in the discussion

5 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Agent · Surf City, NC · Member since 2017 · 648 posts · 597 votes
    6y

    I know Airbnb does not look favorably on the owners cancelling reservations. If there is any chance you might want to use Airbnb again in the future, maybe look into just changing the booking settings and having a longer length of stay requirement.

  • Rental Property Investor · Ithaca, NY · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Tim McCahill:

    Hope everyone is faring the best they can. We are experiencing mass cancellations at our two Airbnb apartments, and are considering deleting our account and turning the apartments into short-term rentals at least through year-end. Does anyone have experience deleting an Airbnb listing? If so, what are the repercussions? Many thanks. 

     Tim, the repercussion would be becoming a billion dollar company's competitor. So you'll need to do everything they do for you on your own. Market, account, customer service, disputes, etc. better than them. Not saying you won't fare, but you asked what the repercussion would be and from my perspective that was it. But I believe in the entrepreneurial spirit and think you can do it. Good luck man, I might be following suit and start renting out to veterans. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Chicago · Member since 2019 · 17 posts · 19 votes
    6y

    I have a few short term rentals, and they are incredibly popular. I advertise them as furnished apartments with a minimum Lease term of 4 months. I have lots of medical residents and visiting professors rent them. That being said, I've already had one cancellation for this summer, an Italian professor.

  • Real Estate Broker · Watertown, NY · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    6y

    @Tim McCahill - I believe all everything is fair game at this point.  Just point blame to the COVID virus and cancel everything.  They've stated in many emails that they're not penalizing anyone for doing so

  • Professional · Jersey City, NJ · Member since 2015 · 31 posts · 3 votes
    6y

    Thanks everyone for the great comments. We own other traditional renters and are no strangers to marketing then ... just hope we can find some takers!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.