Is California losing its shine for NOW, or for GOOD?

Is California losing its shine for NOW, or for GOOD?

Paul KubinPro Member
Rental Property Investor · Fort Smith, AR · Member since 2020 · 53 posts · 48 votes

Hi, All --

I'm new to real estate investing and live in northern California, where many of my 9-5 coworkers love to talk about how they should leave the state because they know they will never own a home.  The attached SF Chronicle article about tech giants looking to Texas (Oracle is the most recent of several) has made me wonder if the fires, pricey RE market, and population density make this a bad place to invest.  

I'm willing to work hard to make RE investment pay off over time, but I do wonder if I'd be better starting with out-of-state, where it might be easier. 

I'd love the community's thoughts...


Paul

0Reply
15 views

2 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Dylan VargasPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Chico, CA · Member since 2016 · 625 posts · 336 votes
    5y

    @Paul Kubin Welcome! Both are good options depending on your goals and type of investing. I will say I think its best to do a few local deals before heading out of state so you understand what goes on during the process with regard to BRRRR or flipping. This way you will know what to expect from contractors and such when going out of state to flip or BRRRR. This process will also help you define what type of investing you would like to do. As far as a good place to invest not many beat California over a long period of time. The state has MANY issues but has been proven a winner. I will say out of state may make more sense to some because of the things you mentioned like fires, cost of living etc. We consider moving daily! Good returns can be achieved anywhere but I personally would get my feet wet locally first. How much will a home in Sunnyvale be worth in 20 years? Who knows but history has proven California a winer! Good luck and keep us posted.

  • Paul KubinPro Member
    OP
    Rental Property Investor · Fort Smith, AR · Member since 2020 · 53 posts · 48 votes
    5y

    Thanks ore weighing in, Dylan.  I'm interested in having a go here, but there's much I need to learn to feel confident investing in these markets.  But it's nice to know that it's not impossible.  

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.