Have you received 1099's from your county for 2020 rent

Have you received 1099's from your county for 2020 rent

Rental Property Investor · St Augustine, FL · Member since 2019 · 264 posts · 279 votes

I have received 1099 from the county for the rent subsidies I received in 2020 thru the Cares Act. How will this money be taxed and why should I receive the 1099 and not the tenant. I understand the money was paid directly to me but it was a subsidy for the tenant.

1Reply
12 views

3 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Will FraserPro Member
    Real Estate Broker · Salt Lake City & Oklahoma City · Member since 2018 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    5y

    I have!  It will be treated as regular rental income, the same as all the other rent you received.

  • Rental Property Investor · Northern, CA · Member since 2012 · 5k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    5y

    @Fred Cannon  If the payment was to you, you're the one that should get the 1099.  Sounds just like how the Housing Authority reports rent payments made on behalf of the tenants.  (I get a 1099-MISC from them each year for rent subsidy payments made on behalf of Section 8 tenants.)  And like Will said, it gets treated the same as any other rent payment from a tax perspective.

  • Rental Property Investor · St Augustine, FL · Member since 2019 · 264 posts · 279 votes
    5y

    @Will Fraser. Thanks Will. I was hoping that would be the case and I wouldn't be taxed twice

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.