How screen a tenant for midterm rental

How screen a tenant for midterm rental

Investor · Member since 2021 · 96 posts · 19 votes

Hello everyone, I would like to ask how do you do tenant screening for Midterm Rental? 
Do you only get the contract? Or do you use the Keycheck (Furnish Finder) And let the tenant pay for the screening? Thank you for all your help

1Reply
105 views

Most Popular Reply

CO · Member since 2022 · 588 posts · 426 votes
3y

I personally don't like using furnished finders accessory systems as they have big holes in them, but one thing I have learned is they are a travel medical professional you can ask to see their contract. Medical professionals are vetted thoroughly, even more than a background check to do what they do, so if the hospitals think they are safe I have no reason to think otherwise. Also, you won't have to pay for screening or anything. 

See this reply in the discussion

17 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Will FraserPro Member
    Real Estate Broker · Salt Lake City & Oklahoma City · Member since 2018 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    3y

    Hi @Catherine Javier, I treat mid-term rentals much like long-term unless they come from one of the STR gateways like Airbnb or VRBO). If they come through anything else then I will have them complete our standard application process and ensure that they don't have a history of hoodwinking or anything like that.

  • CO · Member since 2022 · 588 posts · 426 votes
    3y

    I personally don't like using furnished finders accessory systems as they have big holes in them, but one thing I have learned is they are a travel medical professional you can ask to see their contract. Medical professionals are vetted thoroughly, even more than a background check to do what they do, so if the hospitals think they are safe I have no reason to think otherwise. Also, you won't have to pay for screening or anything. 

  • Investor · Member since 2021 · 96 posts · 19 votes
    3y
    Thank you!


    Quote from @Will Fraser:

    Hi @Catherine Javier, I treat mid-term rentals much like long-term unless they come from one of the STR gateways like Airbnb or VRBO). If they come through anything else then I will have them complete our standard application process and ensure that they don't have a history of hoodwinking or anything like that.


  • Investor · Member since 2021 · 96 posts · 19 votes
    3y

    Thank you!


    Quote from @Brett Deas:

    I personally don't like using furnished finders accessory systems as they have big holes in them, but one thing I have learned is they are a travel medical professional you can ask to see their contract. Medical professionals are vetted thoroughly, even more than a background check to do what they do, so if the hospitals think they are safe I have no reason to think otherwise. Also, you won't have to pay for screening or anything. 


  • Will FraserPro Member
    Real Estate Broker · Salt Lake City & Oklahoma City · Member since 2018 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Catherine Javier:
    Thank you!


    Quote from @Will Fraser:

    Hi @Catherine Javier, I treat mid-term rentals much like long-term unless they come from one of the STR gateways like Airbnb or VRBO). If they come through anything else then I will have them complete our standard application process and ensure that they don't have a history of hoodwinking or anything like that.



     Of course!

  • Rental Property Investor · Prince George's County, MD · Member since 2022 · 177 posts · 187 votes
    3y

    I've rented/listed my MTR via both third-party booking sites (they screen) and self advertisement (I screen).

    For tenants that do not book through a site, my vetting process is no different from what I do for LTRs; application, background check, etc. and the tenant pays for the screening.

  • Investor · Member since 2021 · 96 posts · 19 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Malkia Ra:

    I've rented/listed my MTR via both third-party booking sites (they screen) and self advertisement (I screen).

    For tenants that do not book through a site, my vetting process is no different from what I do for LTRs; application, background check, etc. and the tenant pays for the screening.


     hello! Where did you lease your MTR? Is it furnished Finder? Thanks!

  • Rental Property Investor · Prince George's County, MD · Member since 2022 · 177 posts · 187 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Catherine Javier:
    Quote from @Malkia Ra:

    I've rented/listed my MTR via both third-party booking sites (they screen) and self advertisement (I screen).

    For tenants that do not book through a site, my vetting process is no different from what I do for LTRs; application, background check, etc. and the tenant pays for the screening.


     hello! Where did you lease your MTR? Is it furnished Finder? Thanks!


    Yup, Furnished Finder and AirBNB.

    Initially I received the most response via AirBNB; however after the opening of a new medical center within a 7-mile radius of my rental, I've noticed more traffic from Furnished Finder.

  • Real Estate Agent · Austin, TX · Member since 2020 · 1k+ posts · 941 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Catherine Javier:

    Hello everyone, I would like to ask how do you do tenant screening for Midterm Rental? 
    Do you only get the contract? Or do you use the Keycheck (Furnish Finder) And let the tenant pay for the screening? Thank you for all your help


     All of my bookings come from Airbnb and not furnished finder so I don't have any sort of screening.

  • Real Estate Agent · New York City · Member since 2020 · 818 posts · 639 votes
    3y

    1. Credit Check

    2. Background Check

    3. Income Verification (W-2s, Paystubs)

    4. Employer Reference - Call and check

    5. Prior Landlord Reference(s) - Call and check

  • Property Manager · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2016 · 83 posts · 42 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Brett Deas:

    I personally don't like using furnished finders accessory systems as they have big holes in them, but one thing I have learned is they are a travel medical professional you can ask to see their contract. Medical professionals are vetted thoroughly, even more than a background check to do what they do, so if the hospitals think they are safe I have no reason to think otherwise. Also, you won't have to pay for screening or anything. 


     How many times have you rented a property using furnished finders, and what has been your experience with it, overall? 

  • Property Manager · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2016 · 83 posts · 42 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Alexander Szikla:

    1. Credit Check

    2. Background Check

    3. Income Verification (W-2s, Paystubs)

    4. Employer Reference - Call and check

    5. Prior Landlord Reference(s) - Call and check


     I ask for proof of last 3 months rent now. I don't even bother calling a previous landlord. It's still on the rental application , though.

  • Investor · Austin, TX · Member since 2021 · 9k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    3y

    Not much screening takes place with these mid term/short term rental stays. You can read their previous reviews written about them 

  • CO · Member since 2022 · 588 posts · 426 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Julian Colvard:
    Quote from @Brett Deas:

    I personally don't like using furnished finders accessory systems as they have big holes in them, but one thing I have learned is they are a travel medical professional you can ask to see their contract. Medical professionals are vetted thoroughly, even more than a background check to do what they do, so if the hospitals think they are safe I have no reason to think otherwise. Also, you won't have to pay for screening or anything. 


     How many times have you rented a property using furnished finders, and what has been your experience with it, overall? 


     By now we have had about 3, all the tenants have been good and no troubles. The only issue is getting a payment system set up, the 3 wanted to use the FF system but we refused so we had to find a 3rd party system. 

  • Bonnie LowPro Member
    Lender · Asheville, NC · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    3y

    We do the following:  1) use Keycheck background check, which guest pays for, and look for positive reviews on Abnb. Or 2) waive the background check if they share with us a copy of the fully executed employment contract, which indicates they have already passed a more rigorous background check, and still look for positive reviews on Abnb. As someone else said, Keycheck may have some holes in it, but I feel ok with it. One person wanted to rent "6 months to a year" and told us ahead of time that she was going through a divorce which is why her credit was so poor. But assured us that she'd never had an eviction (it's possible she never had a lease in her name), and would absolutely pay rent on time. The Keycheck turned up a credit score in the 400's as well as recent collections. In fact, she'd been sent to collections for every single account in her credit file so it would be foolish to think her rent was the one bill she'd actually pay. I was able to reply simply, "I'm sorry, but we're unable to rent to you at this time." Dodged a bullet!

  • Investor · Member since 2021 · 96 posts · 19 votes
    3y
    thank you!



    Quote from @Malkia Ra:
    Quote from @Catherine Javier:
    Quote from @Malkia Ra:

    I've rented/listed my MTR via both third-party booking sites (they screen) and self advertisement (I screen).

    For tenants that do not book through a site, my vetting process is no different from what I do for LTRs; application, background check, etc. and the tenant pays for the screening.


     hello! Where did you lease your MTR? Is it furnished Finder? Thanks!


    Yup, Furnished Finder and AirBNB.

    Initially I received the most response via AirBNB; however after the opening of a new medical center within a 7-mile radius of my rental, I've noticed more traffic from Furnished Finder.


  • Investor · Member since 2021 · 96 posts · 19 votes
    3y

    Thanks!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.