Is Apartments.com and Zillow the best for screening apps

Is Apartments.com and Zillow the best for screening apps

Investor · Pittsburgh, PA · Member since 2023 · 108 posts · 57 votes

I have a 2BR, 1 Bath apartment listed for rent. I have it listed on Zillow, Apartments, Facebook, and Craigslist. I know Apartments.com and Zillow does tenant screening, but for those on Facebook and Craigslist, what's the best route to get the application filled out and to have the background check done?

Should I route them through Apartments.com? By my understanding, they pay a fee to apartments for the background check and application, right? Would love to hear your tenant screening processes and how that works.

1Reply
118 views

Most Popular Reply

Alecia LovelessPro Member
Member since 2019 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
2y

@Cory St. Esprit I use MySmartMove for background checks. There’s a couple different levels I believe, I use the $43 one and believe it’s the most comprehensive one.

Personally I have my applicants fill out an application and pre-screen them before narrowing down to a short list before only running an actual background check on the first and possibly the second runner up in line for the unit.

I figure I can always go back and run more background checks on people further down the line in the process if something doesn’t work out with the first applicant or two. And that there’s no reason to just simply charge 10-15 people for a background check simply because they applied especially with our current level of inflation and money being tight for everyone.

See this reply in the discussion

6 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Alecia LovelessPro Member
    Member since 2019 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    2y

    @Cory St. Esprit I use MySmartMove for background checks. There’s a couple different levels I believe, I use the $43 one and believe it’s the most comprehensive one.

    Personally I have my applicants fill out an application and pre-screen them before narrowing down to a short list before only running an actual background check on the first and possibly the second runner up in line for the unit.

    I figure I can always go back and run more background checks on people further down the line in the process if something doesn’t work out with the first applicant or two. And that there’s no reason to just simply charge 10-15 people for a background check simply because they applied especially with our current level of inflation and money being tight for everyone.

  • JD MartinBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Rock Star Extraordinaire · Northeast, TN · Member since 2015 · 10k+ posts · 16k+ votes
    2y
    Quote from @Alecia Loveless:

    @Cory St. Esprit I use MySmartMove for background checks. There’s a couple different levels I believe, I use the $43 one and believe it’s the most comprehensive one.

    Personally I have my applicants fill out an application and pre-screen them before narrowing down to a short list before only running an actual background check on the first and possibly the second runner up in line for the unit.

    I figure I can always go back and run more background checks on people further down the line in the process if something doesn’t work out with the first applicant or two. And that there’s no reason to just simply charge 10-15 people for a background check simply because they applied especially with our current level of inflation and money being tight for everyone.


     This is what I use as well. I think it's more robust than either of the other two. And I do the exact same thing - free initial application, only charge when they're the selected candidates for the property. I don't want to charge people who aren't going to have a shot at the home. 

    Skyline Properties
    View Page
  • Member since 2023 · 28 posts · 15 votes
    2y

    @alecialoveless    @jdMartin,  What do you use for the initial application? Is it sent via text/email or in person?  For pre screening are you simply looking at income, debts, employment etc? 

  • JD MartinBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Rock Star Extraordinaire · Northeast, TN · Member since 2015 · 10k+ posts · 16k+ votes
    2y
    Quote from @Anita Z.:

    @alecialoveless    @jdMartin,  What do you use for the initial application? Is it sent via text/email or in person?  For pre screening are you simply looking at income, debts, employment etc? 


     I use a simple Cognito forms application that I designed from our Google Forms application and embed it into our website. Quick and easy. If you clink on my website link in my signature you can take a look at it.

    Skyline Properties
    View Page
  • Member since 2023 · 10 posts · 6 votes
    2y
    Quote from @JD Martin:
    Quote from @Alecia Loveless:

    @Cory St. Esprit I use MySmartMove for background checks. There’s a couple different levels I believe, I use the $43 one and believe it’s the most comprehensive one.

    Personally I have my applicants fill out an application and pre-screen them before narrowing down to a short list before only running an actual background check on the first and possibly the second runner up in line for the unit.

    I figure I can always go back and run more background checks on people further down the line in the process if something doesn’t work out with the first applicant or two. And that there’s no reason to just simply charge 10-15 people for a background check simply because they applied especially with our current level of inflation and money being tight for everyone.


     This is what I use as well. I think it's more robust than either of the other two. And I do the exact same thing - free initial application, only charge when they're the selected candidates for the property. I don't want to charge people who aren't going to have a shot at the home. 


     Hi Cory! How do you conduct the free initial application?

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.