Will direct mail find motivated sellers

Will direct mail find motivated sellers

Investor · Denver, CO · Member since 2013 · 18 posts · 2 votes

I live in Denver and want to invest in my first property within a 30 minute drive. One problem I’m having is my ability to find motivated sellers in this metro area.

I’ve heard that every market has deals because all owners are human and humans have problems. All I have to do is uncover the folks with problems and I’ll find motivated sellers. Match the right solution with the right motivated seller and I’ll have my first rental property for long term cash flow (assuming I buy at the right price/terms, properly screen tenants, and maintenance concerns are well planned).

I mailed out 7348 pieces in 2013 and I got 50 calls, but zero deals.

I hired a mentor who suggested mailing to newer houses so maintenance is less of an issue. I mailed out 2091 postcards January 11, 2014 without a call. Some folks say that Denver is a rare market where direct mail doesn’t work. Others have said that postcards do not work and I should use Yellow Letters (I’ve used both). My mentor claims that direct mail works in all markets and we need to tweak the list or the message. Last week I sent out a second postcard to the 310 absentee owners from the list of 2091 with a new message. Instead of continuing along my path mailing more pieces I want to get some input.

I would like to ask this community: What can I do to uncover a few seriously motivated sellers?? I only need to do 2 deals in 2014 to buy and hold. I could go the traditional route and put down 20+%, but my mentor suggests otherwise.

0Reply
184 views

Most Popular Reply

Dev HornPro Member
Flipper/Rehabber · Arlington, TX · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
12y

I am not (yet) advertising in Denver, but I am in LA, and I completely agree with K. Marie Poe. Think Denver is more challenging than LA, San Diego, or any other major metro in CA? I seriously doubt it. Inventories are tight everywhere.

Don't convince yourself that "RE investing just doesn't work here in <fill in the blank>!" Look around, I bet there are plenty of people succeeding at it. Stop trying to convince yourself that there is no opportunity. Instead, tell yourself that those guys that are beating you are no smarter than you are, so YOU CAN succeed in YOUR market. Change your inner voice...

Get determined, get educated, arm yourself with a winning strategy and go fight for your piece of the pie!!

See this reply in the discussion

32 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Central Valley, CA · Member since 2012 · 6k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    12y
    Originally posted by @Andy Collins:
    I'm not an expert on direct mail, but am a real estate investor with Iseveral properties, in my personal name.

    In the past I got maybe one mailer a month,,,lately its to the point I get 2-3 every week,,today I got 2!

    Direct mail to absentee homeowners is over saturated based on what I'm experiencing

    I'm kind of envious as I'd LOVE to see what other marketing my sellers are getting. Every once in awhile when I meet a seller in person (which is rare) I get to see what else they have received. But for the most part I have to rely on what I receive when I'm the owner of record, which usually isn't for very long, so I'm not on a lot of lists. I sold a couple of properties with seller carry backs last year and the marketing to buy my note has been very interesting. But not exactly a deluge. 3 letters. The first one was most impressive. Came within a few weeks of closing, was typed on letterhead and hand signed. And included in the copy: You will receive many letters like this wanting to buy your note. Please know..........blah blah about their company. Good stuff. Of the ones I received it was the most file-worthy. Always looking for file-worthy elements to add to my copy. I get calls from letters sent years ago, so I know the file worthy thing is worth paying attention to.

  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    12y

    @Account Closed

    On the sub too can you do those if there is a NOD filed? I use to buy all my rentals in Oregon and Washington sub too...Off the NOD lists.. However the laws changed dramatically back in 07 or 08.. two laws were past to present equity skimming etc etc.. Just wondered If CA and Co followed suit.

  • Dev HornPro Member
    Flipper/Rehabber · Arlington, TX · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    12y
    Originally posted by @Jay Hinrichs:
    @Account Closed

    On the sub too can you do those if there is a NOD filed? I use to buy all my rentals in Oregon and Washington sub too...Off the NOD lists.. However the laws changed dramatically back in 07 or 08.. two laws were past to present equity skimming etc etc.. Just wondered If CA and Co followed suit.

    I don't do Sub2's so I'll let K. Marie give you a GOOD answer =) but I'm not aware of any reason that you can't Sub2 in that situation IF the NOD situation is resolved (loan brought current). You wouldn't want a Sub2 around a loan that's going to fail in a few months... but I'm guessing the seller would want you to pay all the back payments and penalties. The numbers would have to make sense.

  • Investor · Central Valley, CA · Member since 2012 · 6k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    12y
    Originally posted by @Jay Hinrichs:
    @Account Closed @Dev Horn
    On the sub too can you do those if there is a NOD filed? I use to buy all my rentals in Oregon and Washington sub too...Off the NOD lists.. However the laws changed dramatically back in 07 or 08.. two laws were past to present equity skimming etc etc.. Just wondered If CA and Co followed suit.

    The equity skimming law in CA addresses the first year after transfer to the new buyer and says that rents must go to the mortgage. There are exemptions though. It doesn't address foreclosure that I can recall.

    There are specific rules for working with owners in foreclosure in CA, though. But they don't prevent sub2 as far as I know. There's an equity purchase contract and notice to sellers about canceling etc.

  • Involved In Real Estate · Dallas, TX · Member since 2011 · 81 posts · 7 votes
    12y

    Quality, Quantity, and Frequency. Name of the Direct mail game!

  • John HornerPro Member
    Flipper/Rehabber · Columbus, OH · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 655 votes
    12y

    Agreed Yellow Letters Are overrated. I was about 10%-12% response rate on yellow letters but spinning my wheels because of all the tire kickers. I recently moved to yellow mail-merged postcard with a similar message and received almost 3% response but much more motivated.

    People call yellow letters out of curiosity, it is not often you get hand written mail these days. They call postcards more out of motivation.

  • Professional · Jacksonville, FL · Member since 2015 · 397 posts · 34 votes
    11y
    Originally posted by @Stephen Weber:

    ...I mailed out 7348 pieces in 2013 and I got 50 calls, but zero deals. I hired a mentor who suggested mailing to newer houses so maintenance is less of an issue. I mailed out 2091 postcards January 11, 2014 without a call....

     Do you have any specifics regarding the nature of the list that you mailed to?

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.