Is it just me, or is the Affordable Housing website completely useless?

Is it just me, or is the Affordable Housing website completely useless?

Real Estate Consultant · Ft. Lauderdale, FL · Member since 2012 · 43 posts · 40 votes

I have a few Section 8 rentals. Every time I list one on Affordable Housing, I get the same problem with connecting with interested applicants.

I'll check my inbox and see a message like "I'm interested in your rental."

I respond by telling them it's still available. Message them, using the Affordable Housing inbox, which is the only way to contact them.

I suspect a lot of prospects don't check their inbox. If they don't leave a phone number, there's no way for me to follow up with them outside the platform.

I have occasional success, so maybe the site is just mostly useless instead of completely useless.

The paid account isn't much better than the free account, so I unsubscribed from the paid account.

the site itself also feels overly simplistic, given how long they've been in business since the gosection8 days.

Tell me what I'm missing.

Are other landlords getting good results from Affordable Housing? Is there a better way to use the platform?

1 vote total

Affordable Housing works well for me.
I get mixed results from Affordable Housing.
I get inquiries, but most prospects don't follow up.
I rarely find tenants through Affordable Housing.
I stopped using Affordable Housing because it wasn't effective.
I've never used Affordable Housing.
0Reply
116 views

2 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • James JonesPro Member
    Investor · Collierville, TN 38017 · Member since 2017 · 648 posts · 473 votes
    4d

    You're not missing much — the inbox problem is real. Most voucher holders don't check the site's messaging system regularly, so your reply sits unread and you assume they ghosted you. What works for me across my Section 8 units in Memphis: put your phone number right in the listing description so prospects can text you directly, and treat the site as a lead board, not a communication tool. I also list on my local housing authority's landlord listing page and in Facebook groups for Section 8 housing in my ZIPs — those two sources beat the national sites for actual signed leases. Respond fast, ideally within the hour, and pre-screen on that first call: voucher size, move-in timeline, household size. The site gets you eyeballs; your follow-up process is what fills the unit.

    • Real Estate Consultant · Ft. Lauderdale, FL · Member since 2012 · 43 posts · 40 votes
      20h

      Good tips James. I thought about putting my phone number in the description, but I was worried about spam solicitations. I'll follow your advice and get a Twilio number dedicated for marketing.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.