Originally posted by @Matt Powell:
Originally posted by @Jennifer Lee:
it depends on the brokerage and broker
I was unhappy with one broker with reason stated above.
but I moved to another, and I can be investor and Realtor. as long as I bring continuous business, we all happy ;)
Thanks Jennifer. Can you elaborate a little on what your brokerage allows you to do now? Can you focus only on investments for yourself, or are they asking that also do traditional representation of buyers and/or sellers? Can you do your own marketing without listing their name everywhere? Could you form an LLC if you wanted?
Thanks!
without naming names of firms.
Can you elaborate a little on what your brokerage allows you to do now?
Former Brokerage is like working with corporate america. they basically want me to be working for them as realtor. If I mentioned "subject to", "wholesale", REO, "short sale" they get all wound up. Instead of helping, I get the lecture, "what are you doing? it aint good for business?" do you really want to associate yourself with "such people?"
I like to equate it to parent and child. My former firms wants all their kids to be Doctors regardless their real drive. can't be that artist or music teacher.
My Current Brokerage is investor friendly and so is my boss. I was upfront with what my plans were "INVESTOR first, REALTOR second."
I like to equate it to parent and child, My current firms FOSTERS each kids. You want to be artist, ok. you want to be doctor, ok..... here is the road map.
I can't elaborate what they allow me to do, I just haven't hit a road block with them. CAN I DO this, SURE! Can I do that? everything is REAL ESTATE is NEGOTIABLE!! I like to be negotiable.
I don't like Minimum commissions is....... minimum listing period is.....
transaction license? sure why not!, where as before it was HECK NO!!! company policy.
--------------------------------
Can you focus only on investments for yourself, or are they asking that also do traditional representation of buyers and/or sellers?
Let just say, when I was with my former company, my facebook was Jenn Lee of ----Real Estate Company! I don't post any of my investment stuff.....
The day I moved, my facebook business page is renamedJenn Lee of -----LLC (my investment company). I post all my activities and guess WHAT happened! My business exploded!!!
old clients look me up and was shocked at my activities... I had no idea jenn!!! when you said, you invested on a multi unit, I didn't know,,,,,,,,,. I had no idea.
Where as before I was focusing as REALTOR, now I do my own thing and help others, investor and retail buyers, along the way!!!
Can you do your own marketing without listing their name everywhere? Could you form an LLC if you wanted?
I do FSBO stuff, and I when I list my own stuff I give my company a cut!
when ppl call I say, BTW I am realtor..... on FSBO
on MLS, I say BTW I am also seller.... (no problems at all)
I form LLC all the time. My current boss/broker knows what I am doing, she is on my Facebook! and as long as I keep bringing business, and do things ethically and morally she doesn't see a problem
AGAIN it all depends on your firm and person RUNNING the office!
FYI, I went were all other investor in my area with license go. Some just do own stuff, don't even bother with being a realtor for others.