Why Bandit Signs Don't Work....

Why Bandit Signs Don't Work....

Tom CafarellaPro Member
Real Estate Investor & Coach · Boston, MA · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 162 votes

I’m here to give you the sobering truth: Bandit signs DO NOT WORK

As you probably know by now I am a real estate guru junkie. I’ve taken every course, ready every book and watched every webinar known to mankind.

The ironic part, is that almost every single one of these so-called gurus, recommends bandit signs.

How Do I Know They Don’t Work?

Because I’ve done it. I’ve put up 1,000 of bandit signs personally, in addition to hiring staff members to put them out for me. I’ve bought the bandit sign stapler. Yes, the one that allows you to put bandit signs up over 10 feet on a telephone pole.

Now, don’t misunderstand me here…you CAN generate leads from bandit signs. You CAN buy houses from using bandit signs.

The reality is you can generate leads from any marketing strategy. Whatever the marketing strategy that is pitched in the book/course that you are reading now, I’ve tried, tested, and either succeeded or failed it.

Whether or not I’ve “succeeded or failed” at the strategy boils down to whether or not it is effective, and by effective I mean is it the best use of your time and money.

When it comes to effectiveness, bandit signs are simply not effective. Here’s why:

  1. The number one reason why bandit signs are not effective is because they get ripped down. Depending upon where you put them and how lucky you get, bandit signs will either stay up for hours(in most cases), or weeks(if you get lucky). If you hear someone tell you about a bandit sign that has been up for months or years, this is an outlier. You don’t want to base your marketing efforts around outliers
  1. They make people mad: now look, for those of you who know me, I could care less about whether a marketing method makes someone mad or not if it works. However, in this case, you are making people mad and it isn’t effective. See, it is someone’s job to get the bandit signs down. When they wake up and think that they are going to have a nice slow relaxing day at work, and then get a call that 200 bandit signs are up(and they have to take them down), they get angry….quickly. Put up 200 bandit signs once and they will be angry for a day, and probably let it go. Put up 200 bandit signs for 2 weeks straight, and they are going to want blood. They are going to want to find out who is doing it. The problem for you, is that they have the way to contact you right on the sign. You can throw that number to an answering service, but sooner rather than later, they are going to call the number pretending to be a seller. Yes...this did happen to me. Yes, this will happen to you
  2. They get you fined. Again this is a cost/benefit question. Is paying a fine consistently for this worth it? Long story short, the answer is no
  3. Another issue with bandit signs is credibility. Bandit signs, in general, give off the impression of a fly by night operation. In a world where consumers are afraid more than ever of “getting scammed” bandit signs don’t do you any favors

Even More Importantly Than Everything Else Already Mentioned: OUTDOOR MEDIA IS DEAD

The last time that you were stopped at a red light, what did you do?

Think for a second….and answer honestly……

If you answered honestly, you know that there wasn’t even a second where outdoor media had a chance to catch your eye. A fraction of a second is all that outdoor media has a shot at these days.

So you have a sign that is going to stay up for a fraction of a day and only grab someone’s attention for a fraction of a second while it is up.

Bottom line here…..skip the bandit signs.

There are way too many super effective marketing methods to even give this one a shot

7Reply
192 views

Most Popular Reply

Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
9y

Tom what is you zero down lending program you have on your website can you give the details on that and if its nationwide are you NMLS licensed in the 12 states that require licensure or just a general statement that your lending nationawide where its legal to lend without a license.. ?

I think BP folks are most interested in Zero down financing.. please expound on that if its real.. or are you just selling coaching.. ??? which is OK in my book .. .most folks starting out should pay for some sort of education. and what do you charge for your coaching.. nice to be up front aobut it other than beating around the bush.

See this reply in the discussion

30 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Engineer/Real Estate Investor · Renton, WA · Member since 2015 · 368 posts · 120 votes
    9y

    @Tom Cafarella

    That is weird, because I know of like 4 people over the last month that have gotten deals recently from bandit signs. Maybe the problem is in your area?

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Austin, TX · Member since 2016 · 39 posts · 37 votes
    9y

    So by this logic, email marketing doesn't work because of spam filters, direct mail doesn't work because of the dog that chases the postman, and word of mouth doesn't work during cold and flu season?

  • Tom CafarellaPro Member
    OP
    Real Estate Investor & Coach · Boston, MA · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 162 votes
    9y

    Hi Guys...like I mentioned in the article, you can get deals from it but by comparison to other marketing methods it is inferior.  A dog chasing a mailman might account for 1 out of 100 letters not getting delivered whereas a bandit sign will 99/100 get ripped down.

  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    9y

    Tom what is you zero down lending program you have on your website can you give the details on that and if its nationwide are you NMLS licensed in the 12 states that require licensure or just a general statement that your lending nationawide where its legal to lend without a license.. ?

    I think BP folks are most interested in Zero down financing.. please expound on that if its real.. or are you just selling coaching.. ??? which is OK in my book .. .most folks starting out should pay for some sort of education. and what do you charge for your coaching.. nice to be up front aobut it other than beating around the bush.

  • Real Estate Investor/Agent · Skiatook, OK · Member since 2016 · 16 posts · 8 votes
    9y
    Tom, What marketing methods seem to work the best for you?
  • Investor · Orlando, FL · Member since 2015 · 49 posts · 16 votes
    9y

    @Tom Cafarella I have a very good friend who ONLY markets with bandit signs...  CONSISTENTLY makes over 80k a month from them for the last 12 months.

    Before you give out advice like this, you should really do your homework on markets outside of your own.  Just because you have failed at something does not mean it can or will not work at with substantial results. 

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Springfield, MA · Member since 2016 · 641 posts · 204 votes
    9y
    My buddy just got a deal off bandit signs. Also folks use google voice as a business phone number, NOT your personal number! Good luck!
  • Real Estate Investor · Raleigh, NC · Member since 2012 · 427 posts · 297 votes
    9y

    I think bandit sign effectiveness depends greatly on the type of market you are in. I have put out over 1,000 in my city and never done a deal off of them. I used a local number and vanity number. Neither worked worth a crap. I honestly do not think I got 10 quality leads over 2 years and all those signs.  TEN!! If I would have taken the hundreds of hours (and thousands of dollars) I spent on signs and instead driven to any random neighborhood and walked door to door I would have had better results.  However, I know people in another city who kill it with bandit signs. It is by far their best form of marketing. The market I am in is much more expensive than their's and our signs get ripped down quicker, but the difference is just insane. I quit signs but there were days I would go put up 30, drive the route the next day and only have like 4 still up. In more rural areas signs can stay up for months. The guys I know cannot believe bandit signs don't work here and I can't believe they do multiple deals off signs where they are.

  • Chandler, AZ · Member since 2016 · 109 posts · 56 votes
    9y

    Hi all, 

    @Eric F. @Tom Myers

    Where are these people successful? I'm wondering if Arizona is a good place for bandit signs. 

    I got an app called flyp that gives you other numbers that forward to your original number...I'm wondering if I am safe using this service?

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Springfield, MA · Member since 2016 · 641 posts · 204 votes
    9y
    Dalton Hirst for a phone service, specifically for bandit signs I use google voice. It's free plus it's safe
  • Contractor · Nashville, TN · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    9y

    I was jaded by bandit signs as well. I put up 30 all around town (Nashville), and got calls from buyers mostly. I did get one decent lead. I saw the signs up on the poles for months. Still, I think my number of calls is 2, total.

    THAT being said, I have a few buddies that have gotten multiple deals from bandit signs. Here's the key ingredient: Low competition area. Bandit signs don't work in hot markets.

  • Lender · Nashville, TN · Member since 2017 · 205 posts · 107 votes
    9y

    @Allan Smith What marketing strategies have been working the most effieciently for you in the Nashville area?

  • Rental Property Investor · Ashburn, VA · Member since 2016 · 239 posts · 119 votes
    9y
    Outdoor media is still strong. Regardless of how you implement it (Bandit signs included) Below is a link saying overall outdoor spending is on the rise. Given that mobile advertising is increasing at 20 times this rate the reduction is in other types of media like newspaper and television. https://oaaa.org/StayConnected/NewsArticles/IndustryRevenue/tabid/322/id/5012/Default.aspx
  • Wholesaler · Bowling Green, OH · Member since 2015 · 7 posts · 1 vote
    8y

    .

  • Member since 2019 · 1 post · 0 votes
    6y

    I think it’s true if it’s an over saturated market that this tactic doesn’t work well but it’s always about your call to action and how to be unique. 

    It’s always a numbers game in any advertising.

    As a printer & distributor of bandit signs I’ve not seen a mega drop in people not doing it but I do know that in some markets there are more restrictions and ordinances , so visibility is not long.

    I think this will work for some and others either won’t do enough to get the number of views to conversions ( calls) .

    If there are 15 other people in your area doing it , it may not work unless you are more aggressive and have to be more clever with the call to action. 

    Best bet is to drive around and hit places that are in unsaturated areas and then ask the question “why”

    Bandit sign printing & Distribution services

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Wilton, CT · Member since 2015 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    6y

    The real issue with all these inferior methods like bandit signs is that you are giving leads away to the most prolific website out there.

    What do you think people that see bandit signs will do?

    They will google to see if it is legit. Guess who they will find on the top of google?

    US!

    None of you have a CLUE how many phone calls we get starting with "Hey I got your mailer in the mail, or hey I saw your sign on the street".

    They all go on line and they call us up.

    So yeah, keep doing DMM and planting bandit signs! I am getting a ton of leads thanks to all your efforts!

  • San Antonio, TX · Member since 2019 · 38 posts · 12 votes
    6y

    @Jerryll Noorden  Not cool man.  Don't be a wise guy.  Either add something to the conversation or be quiet.  There is no need to taunt others!!

  • Investor · Columbus, OH · Member since 2017 · 861 posts · 1k+ votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Shashank Gokhale:

    @Jerryll Noorden  Not cool man.  Don't be a wise guy.  Either add something to the conversation or be quiet.  There is no need to taunt others!!

    This website can be so hilariously skeezy. He is digging on the guy plugging his bandit sign printing service as a stealth way to plug his own SEO service.  Whatever it takes to get newbies money!
  • Flipper/Rehabber · Wilton, CT · Member since 2015 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    6y
    This website can be so hilariously skeezy. He is digging on the guy plugging his bandit sign printing service as a stealth way to plug his own SEO service.  Whatever it takes to get newbies money!



    REALLY?!

    I mean... I have 23 more of these. Want me to add them?

    Me telling him that bandit signs suck is not a fib. It is not something to promote my SEO, It does DAMAGE for me to tell others not to do bandit signs, because I get a LOT of my leads because of my competitors doing bandit signs. People that do DMM and bandit signs do not realize that people WILL do an online search and they find ME on top of the search results for what ever keyword you can think of.

    Me telling him not to do bandit signs or DMM saves HIM money and it avoids his competitors ranking #1 taking the leads.

     I give people free advice, I evaluate strangers website with no sales pitch and educate others on how to become successful... for free! I devote a lot of time and effort in my personal life to invite anyone to contact me and I help them rank their site, client or not.

    What do YOU do to help others?

    Besides bandit signs are illegal, a lot of work and they work horribly. If I tell you it is a bad idea, and you bish about that.. then you just are miserable little men.  My advise is, go buy a turtle and love it.

    OK then..

    Look you may not know much about investing and marketing, but I do. If I tell someone it is a bad idea, I suggest you listen to me. Remember I am someone that has got marketing pretty down, to a science.

    I love you though bye bye :)

  • Investor · Columbus, OH · Member since 2017 · 861 posts · 1k+ votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Jerryll Noorden:
    Originally posted by @Account Closed:
    Originally posted by @Shashank Gokhale:

    @Jerryll Noorden  Not cool man.  Don't be a wise guy.  Either add something to the conversation or be quiet.  There is no need to taunt others!!

    This website can be so hilariously skeezy. He is digging on the guy plugging his bandit sign printing service as a stealth way to plug his own SEO service.  Whatever it takes to get newbies money!

    I mean... I have 23 more of these. Want me to add them?

    If you take your heads out of your stinky butts long enough  before you just talk crap, I gave good advise and I helped. Me telling him that bandit signs suck is not a fib. It is not something to promote my SEO, It does DAMAGE for me to tell others not to do bandit signs, because I get a LOT of my leads because of my competitors doing bandit signs. People that do DMM and bandit signs do not realize that people WILL do an online search and they find ME on top of the search results for what ever keyword you can think of.

    Me telling him not to do bandit signs or DMM saves HIM money and it avoids his competitors ranking #1 taking the leads.

    So stop being sad little oomploompas and dont hate me because I am gorgeous, successful and get 10x more leads in a day than you get in a year... just hate me because I am a douche. 

    BTW. I always tell people NOT to pay for SEO, I am the biggest advocate of everyone doing it themselves EVEN if I run an SEO company. I give people free advice, I evaluate strangers website with no sales pitch and educate others on how to become successful... for free!

    What do YOU do other than bish at others?

    Besides bandit signs are illegal, a lot of work and they work horribly. If I tell you it is a bad idea, and you bish about that.. then you just are miserable little men.  My advise is, go buy a turtle and love it.

    OK then..

    I love you though bye bye :)

    I guess if posting irrelevant screenshots on every thread and telling strangers to "go buy a turtle" is working as part of your own marketing strategy, keep it up.  

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Wilton, CT · Member since 2015 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    6y
    This website can be so hilariously skeezy. He is digging on the guy plugging his bandit sign printing service as a stealth way to plug his own SEO service.  Whatever it takes to get newbies money!

    I mean... I have 23 more of these. Want me to add them?

    If you take your heads out of your stinky butts long enough  before you just talk crap, I gave good advise and I helped. Me telling him that bandit signs suck is not a fib. It is not something to promote my SEO, It does DAMAGE for me to tell others not to do bandit signs, because I get a LOT of my leads because of my competitors doing bandit signs. People that do DMM and bandit signs do not realize that people WILL do an online search and they find ME on top of the search results for what ever keyword you can think of.

    Me telling him not to do bandit signs or DMM saves HIM money and it avoids his competitors ranking #1 taking the leads.

    So stop being sad little oomploompas and dont hate me because I am gorgeous, successful and get 10x more leads in a day than you get in a year... just hate me because I am a douche. 

    BTW. I always tell people NOT to pay for SEO, I am the biggest advocate of everyone doing it themselves EVEN if I run an SEO company. I give people free advice, I evaluate strangers website with no sales pitch and educate others on how to become successful... for free!

    What do YOU do other than bish at others?

    Besides bandit signs are illegal, a lot of work and they work horribly. If I tell you it is a bad idea, and you bish about that.. then you just are miserable little men.  My advise is, go buy a turtle and love it.

    OK then..

    I love you though bye bye :)

    I guess if posting irrelevant screenshots on every thread and telling strangers to "go buy a turtle" is working as part of your own marketing strategy, keep it up.  

     OR...

    You could just say "yo man, I am sorry I was wrong, my apologies"

    But I guess those are just not your colors. bummer.

    night man.

  • Investor · Columbus, OH · Member since 2017 · 861 posts · 1k+ votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Jerryll Noorden:
    Originally posted by @Account Closed:
    Originally posted by @Jerryll Noorden:
    Originally posted by @Account Closed:
    Originally posted by @Shashank Gokhale:

    @Jerryll Noorden  Not cool man.  Don't be a wise guy.  Either add something to the conversation or be quiet.  There is no need to taunt others!!

    This website can be so hilariously skeezy. He is digging on the guy plugging his bandit sign printing service as a stealth way to plug his own SEO service.  Whatever it takes to get newbies money!

    I mean... I have 23 more of these. Want me to add them?

    If you take your heads out of your stinky butts long enough  before you just talk crap, I gave good advise and I helped. Me telling him that bandit signs suck is not a fib. It is not something to promote my SEO, It does DAMAGE for me to tell others not to do bandit signs, because I get a LOT of my leads because of my competitors doing bandit signs. People that do DMM and bandit signs do not realize that people WILL do an online search and they find ME on top of the search results for what ever keyword you can think of.

    Me telling him not to do bandit signs or DMM saves HIM money and it avoids his competitors ranking #1 taking the leads.

    So stop being sad little oomploompas and dont hate me because I am gorgeous, successful and get 10x more leads in a day than you get in a year... just hate me because I am a douche. 

    BTW. I always tell people NOT to pay for SEO, I am the biggest advocate of everyone doing it themselves EVEN if I run an SEO company. I give people free advice, I evaluate strangers website with no sales pitch and educate others on how to become successful... for free!

    What do YOU do other than bish at others?

    Besides bandit signs are illegal, a lot of work and they work horribly. If I tell you it is a bad idea, and you bish about that.. then you just are miserable little men.  My advise is, go buy a turtle and love it.

    OK then..

    I love you though bye bye :)

    I guess if posting irrelevant screenshots on every thread and telling strangers to "go buy a turtle" is working as part of your own marketing strategy, keep it up.  

     OR...

    You could just say "yo man, I am sorry I was wrong, my apologies"

    But I guess those are just not your colors. bummer.

    night man.

    But, I wasn't wrong. You are the one posting screenshots of your blurry "leads" in just about every thread you stumble into and typing up bro-hype about how successful your methods are.  Its obvious you are promoting your SEO business. 

    But, on this website it seems pretty routine that people contribute in their own way while also getting their business out there in the REI community. It isn't a sin here, but don't act all puffy and offended if someone calls you out on your hype-snark. And your snark, which I guess is some part of your "brand image" that you've developed as this edgy hip internet guy, may work to bring in the business you are looking for, but the turtle-purchasing subset of this website may feel that it comes across as a few notches less than professional.

    Those are my colors, man. 

  • Branford, CT · Member since 2016 · 44 posts · 9 votes
    6y

    @Jerryll Noorden. I googled and didn’t see your site. 

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Wilton, CT · Member since 2015 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Marie Grabo:

    @Jerryll Noorden. I googled and didn’t see your site. 

     Maybe google bateries are dead. :P

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Wilton, CT · Member since 2015 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Marie Grabo:

    @Jerryll Noorden. I googled and didn’t see your site. 

     But just out of curiosity... What did you Google? And do you know the difference between an organic ranking site and an ad?

    The results with the lettees "ad" imfront of them are paid ads. They dont count. :)

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.