Listsource seem to have missing data

Listsource seem to have missing data

Investor · Warner Robins, GA · Member since 2011 · 83 posts · 15 votes

Does anyone use List Source for list with equity?  

I have a question about their search.  I have called support twice but they don't seem to understand my question.  Maybe I cannot get to the right person.

Here is the issue (I rounded):

  • There are 52,000 properties in my county.
  • If I restrict to equity for 0%-100% I get 23,000 records.  I don't think more than half the properties have less that no equity, or more than 100%.  A lot of properties are missing.
  • As a test,  I changed equity from -99% to 999% - that's the largest range I can enter.  I get 28,000 records.  Still almost half missing.
  • I called support and they said to search for equity 100-100 to get proprieties with no mortgage.  I did and that is 1,800 properties.  Still a lot missing.

I looked at the sample records for the 100-100 equity.  They show no mortgage and the equity shows as 100%.

Then I entered a single address for a house that I know was recently paid off.  I can see it in the sample and the equity field is empty.  There is no mortgage reported and there is a 'Current Home Value', but equity is empty - not 100%.

I am not complaining about the data - I understand it may be incomplete.  I am concerned that the list will miss a lot of properties with equity and I at least want to understand why and maybe find a way to get these.

0Reply
7 views

1 Reply

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Truckee, CA · Member since 2013 · 546 posts · 445 votes
    9y

    @Don Chambers - are you limiting your search to just single family and condo? You'll find commercial properties either don't have AVMs (estimate values), or they are inaccurate. An estimated value is required for equity, so that may account for some of what you are seeing.

    Still, I have no idea why a home would have no equity data, that's surprising to me, at least assuming it did have an estimated value (which I'd also expect it would). Definitely seems like they have a problem in your area.

    To that end it is always a good idea to test services in your area. Quality varies a lot, usually less Listsource's fault then the county assessor / recorder, though not alway. If you see someone talk about how great a service is, or a particular criteria like number of units works, realize that may be true where they are and NOT where you are.

    Finally keep in mind that the goal of using public records sources like Listsource is to narrow in on the properties you have the best chance of doing a deal on. So if the filters you want give you enough leads to keep you busy, then don't worry too much about the fact that there may be more... you can always work on figuring out how to find those after you've exhausted the ones that you can find.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.