4'x8' signs and no calls?!?? Any Advice?

4'x8' signs and no calls?!?? Any Advice?

Real Estate Investor · Inland Empire, CA · Member since 2011 · 5 posts · 2 votes

I have these signs up in three locations all in busy areas, all double sided. They've been up for almost three weeks and im not getting any calls from them. Any insight or advice would be greatly appreciated.


0Reply
28 views

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Investor · Hudson, NH · Member since 2011 · 76 posts · 25 votes
15y

No disrespect intended, but my immediate first reaction to the signs is that they look hand done.

If I were a distressed seller, I would be looking looking for an experienced professional to come in and solve my unique problem.

In this case, the hand made sign portrays to me that you may not be able to come through on the deal. I'm thinking, if they can't afford a sign, then how will they ever be able to purchase my 200K home, close quickly, with no issues.

Others may have a different reaction. Maybe I am reading into the perception of it too much?

Best of Luck!

See this reply in the discussion

16 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Joel OwensBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Canton, GA · Member since 2010 · 15k+ posts · 11k+ votes
    15y

    When people are driving buy LESS IS MORE.

    You have 8 words "Fast cash 4 your house any condition,situation".

    Better 3 words "we buy houses".

    It might just be me but when I hear fast cash I think low ball offer and wouldn't even call you.

    Another item is your sign is straight instead of angled.Angled the drivers tend to notice it more and read it easier.The triangle signs I use for commercial real estate.Angled they can see from a distance which gives them more time to read.

    Other problem is your sign is not on a corner,traffic light,or stop sign or major entrance way.

    What's the traffic count and speed limit on the road.A high speed limit they will pass by fast and not even see it.

    Not sold on the red and white.

  • Joel OwensBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Canton, GA · Member since 2010 · 15k+ posts · 11k+ votes
    15y

    You have to test and track to see what works.If it didn't pull ANY in 3 weeks then another week won't make a difference.

    You have to change what you are doing and test and track again.

  • Joel OwensBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Canton, GA · Member since 2010 · 15k+ posts · 11k+ votes
    15y

    I have seen some with a big truck park in the Wal-mart parking lot with a big we buy houses sign in the truck bed.

    Obviously you can't do it right as people walk in but in the parking lot a little further out.Usually nothing will be said to you but much better exposure for free.

  • Real Estate Investor · Hudson, NH · Member since 2011 · 76 posts · 25 votes
    15y

    No disrespect intended, but my immediate first reaction to the signs is that they look hand done.

    If I were a distressed seller, I would be looking looking for an experienced professional to come in and solve my unique problem.

    In this case, the hand made sign portrays to me that you may not be able to come through on the deal. I'm thinking, if they can't afford a sign, then how will they ever be able to purchase my 200K home, close quickly, with no issues.

    Others may have a different reaction. Maybe I am reading into the perception of it too much?

    Best of Luck!

  • Rental Property Investor · Mercer Island, WA · Member since 2008 · 22k+ posts · 14k+ votes
    15y

    IMHO, the sign look terrible. The spacing on "FAST CASH YOUR HOUSE" is incorrect so its hard to see the words. The "4" is tucked in between the two lines. It looks like you forgot that and had to go back and add it. The sign is clearly home-made. Hand written bandit signs might work, but this sign just looks amateurish. Shorten your message. "We buy houses" and the phone number. Get the words properly spaced and the lettering neat.

    That phone number isn't working for me, either. If you're going to go the words route, get the prefix part into the number, too. This one is an odd combination of numbers and letters. And, there are too many letters. So, while you might be trying to make a memorable number, I think this one is just the opposite.

    Are area codes required in your area? If not, leave it off. If its an out-of-area number, get a local one.

    As Joel says, it appears to be on a busy stretch of road. If cars are whizzing by, nobody can read this long message, let alone jot down the number. If you get is at a corner, people are stopped and they have time to read it.

    This is an unusual sized sign. Bandit signs are usually small and you put out a bunch expecting to last only hours or days. Billboards are big, professional and expensive. This is the sort of sign that would work for a road side fruit stand. But its too big and expensive for you to do a bunch of them. Yet I suspect is just as illegal as bandit signs.

  • SFR Investor · Orange County, CA · Member since 2009 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    15y
    Originally posted by Brian Morgan:
    Others may have a different reaction. Maybe I am reading into the perception of it too much?

    I agree with you Brian, but you and I are probably in the minority.

    Hand written signs give the impression you're dealing with a small time operation, perhaps just a single person, but that doesn't mean a poorly run business. People who are in distressed situations gravitate towards a more personal approach.

    OTOH, a big fancy professionally made sign gives distressed sellers the impression it's some cold impersonal mega-corporation that is going to screw them out of their family castle using their high-priced attorneys and fast-talking salespeople with reams of fine print.

    Still, that red and white hand made sign can be made a great deal better using Joel's tips while still retaining the air of a more personal business relationship. I would shoot for more eye pleasing colors, such as white on blue or yellow on green. And line up your letters using masking tape so the words run true instead of looking like a typewriter with a loose platen (only the old timers will know what I'm talking about).

  • Joel OwensBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Canton, GA · Member since 2010 · 15k+ posts · 11k+ votes
    15y

    I can also tell you from experience simpler is better.Most people have hectic lives and short attention spans.

    I used to write my letters I mail out to look at buying commercial properties and listing them in a very detailed approach.

    I felt if I explained in great detail more than the next guy I would get the call.The exact opposite happened.Now I make my letters short and to the point.It shows I value time and I am efficient.

    I get them to call or contact and pique their interest.I go into more detail on the phone and at the appointment.This has greatly improved my response and business.

  • Real Estate Investor · Inland Empire, CA · Member since 2011 · 5 posts · 2 votes
    15y

    Thanks for the constructive criticism! We just started investing in February so we can use all the help we can get ; we’re re-strategizing with these points in mind(thanks a lot for the masking tape idea that was very helpful), We’ll let you know how it works out. We just closed our first deal on wed. and our second is to close at the end of the month. So we’ll be able to afford something a little better. Up until this point we’ve been running on a shoe-string budget.
    Additionally:
    There is about a ¼ mile of empty lots in front of the signs, so they are pretty visible. In fact they’re pretty hard to miss, lol. I’ve actually talked to a number of people in the area and they are seeing the signs. Also we do have the signs angled on the third location. Though on the first location there is a considerable amount of space before and after the sign with little to no obstruction, so we figured the straight signs would be effective, but we’ll reconsider the point.
    The traffic count is between 1,500-2,000 at peak hours according to Caltrans
    The speed limit is 45mph
    We can’t really control the location of the signs, because one of our buyers was kind enough to let us put these signs up on some vacant lots they own around town (so they are NOT illegal) in exchange for having first crack at our properties.
    @ Jon – You start off with “In my humble opinion” yet the majority of your post is drenched in condescension. If I might suggest, perhaps you should structure your criticisms in a more constructive manner as opposed to the destructive way it was done. It seems as though you’re more interested in nit-picking every detail of the sign instead of coming up with ways to improve them. And as far as the signs being to expensive we we’re able to get them do them at around $15 a piece. In my humble opinion not to bad for an advertising piece that’s up 24/7, 365 days a year.

    And thanks again to everyone for the helpful insights. :D

  • Lexington, KY · Member since 2009 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    15y
    Originally posted by Joe Lopez:

    @ Jon – You start off with “In my humble opinion” yet the majority of your post is drenched in condescension. If I might suggest, perhaps you should structure your criticisms in a more constructive manner as opposed to the destructive way it was done. It seems as though you’re more interested in nit-picking every detail of the sign instead of coming up with ways to improve them. And as far as the signs being to expensive we we’re able to get them do them at around $15 a piece. In my humble opinion not to bad for an advertising piece that’s up 24/7, 365 days a year.

    And thanks again to everyone for the helpful insights. :D

    Joe, Jon is a very well respected and very experienced investor, I would take his recommendations very seriously, as I share almost all of his feelings on the signs. He gave many suggestions and recommendations, I would pay attention to those and not worry so much about how it came off. Sometimes it is difficult to portray tone online, especially when criticizing someone who asked for criticism. Congrats on closing your first couple deals and good luck. I would love to see what you can do with a larger advertising budget.

  • Residential Real Estate Broker · Payson, AZ · Member since 2009 · 3k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    15y
    Originally posted by Joe Lopez:

    @ Jon – You start off with “In my humble opinion” yet the majority of your post is drenched in condescension.

    Don't worry too much about Jon, he might come off like a jerk sometimes but I promise you, he means well. It can be hard to interpret someones tone while reading text alone.

    I was thinking mostly what others had stated here so I don't really have much to offer other than my input on how you feel Jon responded. I assure that as you continue to participate here, you'll learn to appreciate his input as well as others. Good luck in your investing goals.

  • Rental Property Investor · Mercer Island, WA · Member since 2008 · 22k+ posts · 14k+ votes
    15y

    Didn't mean my points in a condescending way.

    Make your signs like this:

    WE BUY HOUSES
    909-205-6922

    or

    WE BUY
    HOUSES
    909-205-6922

    or, if it works in your area:

    WE BUY
    HOUSES
    205-6922

    or

    9) 205-6922
    (common in our area where we have 303 and 720 area codes in the same location.)

    Make the letters evenly sized, properly spaced and level.

    Almost everywhere you must have permits for signs. Even if you have the property owner's permission, you still need a permit. Bandit signs are illegal almost everywhere, because they lack the proper permits. These signs probably are, too. At some point, you're going to get called by a code enforcement person, or they will just remove the signs.

    Location is essential. Being along a 45 MPH stretch of road means people won't be able to write the number down. That's why you typically see bandit signs at stop lights or stop signs. People are stopped and have a chance to write down the number.

    Have you tried getting a google voice number? You don't have unlimited choices, but maybe you can find something can be made more memorable.

  • Real Estate Investor · Inland Empire, CA · Member since 2011 · 5 posts · 2 votes
    15y

    If I misinterpreted your the tone and tenor of your response, I sincerely apologize. I really do appreciate the feedback, because what I was doing was obviously NOT working. I have to go down to code enforcement on Monday to check on a demand notice so I'll ask about any permitting issues. Thanks for the heads up!
    That actually is a google voice number. I tried for about two and a half hours to come up with something local and memorable and that was the best I was able to come up with, but I'll try again and see if I can't come up with something better.
    Once again thanks for the help! And no hard feelings.
    Best Regards,
    Joe,

  • Real Estate Investor · WA · Member since 2011 · 10 posts · 1 vote
    15y

    Less is more Joe. Get those signs on a corner/intersection. Invest the $ and buy some signs. Good luck!

  • Investor · Miami, FL · Member since 2011 · 87 posts · 2 votes
    15y

    I am impressed on how RE business people here are very well aware of advertising-design-marketing details and strategies. It has been my personal experience in other areas that this is not common at all.

    Follow the recommendation of others. Additionally here are my 2 cents.

    - White over red is fine, but try to use Positive red, not pale.

    - Prioritize the font size. All fonts are the same size and compete with each other.

    - Leave a space around the border of the sign. When text touch the to line of the border it makes it difficult to read specially while in motion. It also makes it look amateurish.

    - If you need to squeeze more info separate the main stuff (the subject, a short and quick description and info) from the details and use a stretched font.

    - Lastly, I see your name is of Hispanic origin. If you are targeting Hispanics, don't forget to add "Se habla Espanol"

    Good luck!

  • Real Estate Investor · Baltimore, MD · Member since 2008 · 1k+ posts · 268 votes
    15y

    IMO it does not look professional
    Maybe that is why you don't get calls

  • Commercial Real Estate Broker · Aurora, CO · Member since 2009 · 29 posts · 5 votes
    15y

    I would purchase a professional sign. As a seller I would question your cash resources with a sign like this.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.